What Can we do with CHROME paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Testors metalizers and burnishing metalics are very nice "Metal Looking" paints but they are not Chorme. Burnished aluminum does shine up a bit, with good coating and rubbing like mad, but its not the reflective specular finish were looking for in this thread.

Raul; burnishing titanium, stainless steel and gunmetal are great look-alikes for the real metals and worth having around.
The bottles say "airbrush only" and are pre-thinned, but I routinely use them as regular brush on paints for detailing;)

Thanks Hot Rod:
Good info, I'm thinking the Killer Chrome k1 kits are about as close as we're gonna get to Chrome unless we have our parts chrome plated:(
At around $115 or more with shipping, even the Alsa material is a bit out of range for most model rockets......Uunless your really really set on having a chrome finish :lol:
I got all the way to checkout...but just couldn't do it:( we'll be watching to see what r1dermon does with his kit.
I'll be most interested to see what what the actual can size is and if the Killer Chrome kit spary cans are storable/ reuseable after 1st use? Maybe if we can get a number of models out of the same cans, it won't hurt quite so much.

FWIW I've been reading Mat Irvine's book"Scale Spacecraft Modelling"
He shows a plastic Apollo CM with a spectacular chrome finish using Alclad chrome. He says the trick is to use a GLOSS black basecoat for the chrome look and flat black for a more subdued aluminum finish.
With winter coming.... I'm gonna play with the airbrush and try it.
Mark T

LOC 2.5in heavy wall tube & LOC 4.0in body tube
- No sanding or prep of any kind
Dupli-Color grey heavy build lacquer primer spray can (# FP101)
- let dry for 30 minutes and touch up with 320grit dry
Dupli-Color Quick Drying Enamel Chrome spray can (# CS101)
- let dry for 1 hour DO NOT TOUCH!
Minwax water-based Polycrylic Clear Gloss spray can (UPC# 27426 35555)
- lightly misted with 5 minutes between coats until a full coat has been applied...took about 5 passes
- Have let it dry for 3 hours and no noticeable effects to the chrome compared to non-clear coated area. Need to wait 72 hours for full dry

Both are high gloss grey-chrome (not as chrome as the base chrome, but still very chrome looking)

-Aaron

Here are pics as it stands now. I'll post more after the full 72 hour dry time. The pictures don't do it justice. (reduced image size to fit under the 100KB limit per file)

-Aaron

Chrome 001 - reduced.jpg

Chrome 002 cleared - reduced.jpg

Chrome 003 - reduced.jpg

Chrome 004 cleared - reduced.jpg

have you ever tried a black, or really dark glossy base coat with those other chromes? a jet black base coat will REALLY pop a chrome paint. its like night and day...anyway, shipping has taken a while, but the package tracker says its at the local terminal...tomorrow maybe??? haha. can't wait.

Good luck getting a delivery on a Sunday!:rotflol:

Never thought to use a gloss black under coat for chrome paint..wonder if it will make the shine 'pop' more for the bright silvers I have...hmmmmm...

I just tried gloss black under sliver and it does help. I'll have to try it under the chrome and see what it does.

Has anyone else tried the combo that I posted? I'm still waiting on the clear to fully cure (gonna be monday) but so far it looks "ok" Not as reflective as the uncleared chrome but much better than the normal grey you get when you try to clear chrome.

-Aaron

Head:
That's the Waterbased Polycrylic Minwax material I've been looking for, where did you find it? My local Lowe's & Home Depot, didn't have it or didn't show a stock number for it in there systems :(

I get it in at my local Lowe's. Its in the stain area. It is sold in spray cans as well as quarts and pints but when you look on the Lowes site, they only list the quarts. I've only used the high gloss but I there was satin and semi-gloss as well. When it goes on, it has a white-blue tint to it but drys clear. Since it is water based, I don't think it has nearly the effect on the base chrome as normal clears (that was my thinking when I tested it anyway)

https://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=0&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=polycrylic

There is something similar at WoodCraft. It is a polyurethane/acrylic blend and so I don't know if it would yellow or not (polyurethane tends to yellow) Might want to look at the HP polyurethane they sell. It has a UV blocker that should prevent yellowing (again, I've never tried it) It is also water based so I thing it shouldn't strip the shine from the chrome.

https://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=756&productid=85T57

If you can't find the Mixwax locally, I can pick up a pint can and mail it to you. It should be thin enough to air-brush (never tried that myself)

-Aaron

10-4 Aaron Thanks!
Thats what we found at the local Lowes...quart and gallon size no spray cans at all:( I'll have to look again.

A water based clearcoat is it one of the options I've wanted to try. Thinking it might not turn Krylon Original Chrome?

I Think I have some water based minwax Polycrylic gloss or semi gloss remaining from a floor resealing job we did a year or so ago, Maybe I'll try airbrushiing it instead of looking for the aerosol can.
KEWL!! maybe I'll be able to handle the Dead Ringer soon:)

Something I've noticed in my testing... the Dupli-Color chrome doesn't rub off on my fingers. If I *rub* it, it does grey and come off, but not normal handling. It has a hard finish and I think it would be find just by itself.

-Aaron

I won't be to sure of that Aaron:
The Krylon Original Chrome "seemed" very hard and didn't rub off after about a week dry time. No finger prints or flaking but while I did a little prep work, loading the streamer and attaching the nose cone the shine steadily went to dull grey. when I attempted to reshine with a very soft polishing cloth. it dulled even more?
I sure hope the waterbased Clear Polyrylic does the trick. I know AK and I both have other projects waiting for a decent mirror chrome finish.

So, its been a little more than the 72 hours since I sprayed the ploycrylic on the two samples I made up. The non-cleared sections have a few finger print marks, but have held up better than I expected. The areas that I applied the polycrylic are not "chrome" but more of a shiny grey/silver. Its not as mirror-like as the chrome, but the color is the same as the chrome. Its hard to describe, but if you were to take the chrome and remove the mirror reflectiveness, thats what you'd have. If possible someone else should try it out and see if their results match mine.

On a whim, I tried rubbing the non-cleared parts with my fingers to see how well they'd hold up. If I touched it with my bare hand, it would leave very light finger prints (just the oils from my skin really) Thinking that its the oils that break down the chrome finish, I got a finger extra oily (picked up oil from next to my nose) and it was much worse of a mark. Washed my hands and tried again and there was no mark. Rubbing it for 15 seconds with mild pressure with clean hands did nothing. Get it slightly oily and rubbing for 5 seconds removed all chrome finish (down to base dark grey)

I think that if care is taken, the straight Dupli-Color chrome would work untreated (as long as you handle it with clean hands)

-Aaron

ok so what do you guys think i should use with this stuff for primer? no primer came with the kit, it just says "over a prepped and primed surface"...im already in the hole 112 dollars (incl shipping) im not spending 20-30 bucks for auto primer. what do you guys think? BTW, im using this paint to put a mirror finish on a modified LOC aura which will be used for some H999 whiplash flights. ;).

ok so what do you guys think i should use with this stuff for primer? no primer came with the kit, it just says "over a prepped and primed surface"...im already in the hole 112 dollars (incl shipping) im not spending 20-30 bucks for auto primer. what do you guys think? BTW, im using this paint to put a mirror finish on a modified LOC aura which will be used for some H999 whiplash flights. ;).

The Plastikote automotive primer I use costs 5-$7 a can... What do YOU use at 20-$30 a can?!
:surprised:

the duplicolor chrome works ok untill the first ejection charge, the soot just ruins it

The Plastikote automotive primer I use costs 5-$7 a can... What do YOU use at 20-$30 a can?!
:surprised:

I agree:
I don't think the Brand of Primer is gonna matter much, As Long as its an auto primer it should work fine.
That said your using a NEW product to everyone here! When in doubt the rule is always.......Test a small portion on the same substrate you about to paint.

Prime another couple small pieces of body tube and try the Black over it. If all goes well to that point you should be good to go on the model with the rest of the Kill Chrome system.

alsa's primer is 27 a quart...anyway, i primed with plastikote, waiting for it to dry, im gonna see how well it adheres to the NC, i might have to pick up some plastic bond stuff for the NC...i dont want a 100+dollar paint job flaking off. lol. anyway, im fighting myself from spraying any of the chrome. it's hard...lol. i should have pics of a finished model on sunday, since my next major day of painting will be thursday and then im working for 2 days. i'll keep you guys up on it though...

after re-reading some of the posts about finger oil and such, im contemplating having this top-coated with a quality 2 part clear from an auto-body shop. i mean, the clear they give me is 40 bucks a can...but i REALLY want to keep this finish...i just sprayed a bit on my black toolbox and CHRIST, this stuff is brilliant...

BTW... https://www.alsacorp.com/live/view_killerchrome_demo.html

i just showed you...you want faster results, you pony up the cash...until then i guess you'll just have to wait...i anticipate photo's on sunday...how's that...

Yeah! the demo is good but I want to see the results on our substrate;) I'm still trying to justify the money....but the finish looks like it could be amazing:)
I wonder how brittle the clear will become over time with exposure to the Sun and/or UV? Not that we really have a choice.

I wonder how it will react to the heat of the motor and ejection charge...I noticed on a couple of my rockets that I launched last weekend that the areas around the motor mount and nose cone dulled quite a bit-I presume from the heat..

That stuff looks cool. Cant wait to see a rocket with it on.

Dan

here's duplicolor primer, black plastikote and plastikote chrome on the left, and here's jet black (40 dollars) over duplicolor primer...stay tuned, thursday i WILL have chrome on this tube.

btw, the plastikote chrome is halfway covered with tape...the good part can't be seen, but it's not reflective in the least...the jet black ALSA spray is a lot more reflective. heh. hands down the best spray paint i've ever used, but hands down WAAAAY expensive.

View attachment black vs. chrome.jpg

I know of a few things my dad uses but all require spray guns and might be a bit heavy...

well, this chrome (and several of their other chrome products) are also available by the pint, quart, and gallon...all are 2k systems...professional quality, but they require good ventilation and a quality respirator. at least with the cans its a dumbed down version that's safe for consumers (relatively).

the jet black ALSA spray is a lot more reflective. heh. hands down the best spray paint i've ever used, but hands down WAAAAY expensive.

My dad uses the alsa and loves it, but he evidently has found the money tree (wish he'd tell me where it is)

(update) well, i tried to clearcoat the black as per instructions with the alsa clear, and unfortunately their spray bottle is a piece of junk. the nozzle isnt long enough to open the valve all the way...i tried the nozzle from the jet black can, and it barely sputtered. i stuck a nail in the top and it came out fine...all over my hand, but im not going to be able to get a nozzle on this sucker...looks like its going back.

at this point, im probably going to contact my friend at the autoshop and have him clearcoat it with some auto grade clear...then i'll top coat with the chrome...if worst comes to worst, it should still look pretty decent (just less glossy) over an unclearcoated black base. just wont shimmer like it should. once my aura is fully carbon fiber wrapped and prepped (probably another week or two) then i'll paint it completely with this stuff and give you guys an idea of what it looks like on an actual rocket.

Well, I visited both of the local hobby shops when I was in Savannah today, and saw something that connected with this thread so picked it up..I got a can of Spaz Stix 'Mirror Chrome' paint..It uses the 3 step process much like the Duplicolor Mirage kit, with their base prep, color, and clear coat..Will test it out sometime this week..IF the results are good and it doesn't dull to gray like most chrome it is an option and a WHOLE lot cheaper then the Alsa stuff(Spaz Stix is $11/can but can be had cheaper online)...

Back