Proud of my son:)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
As a parent i have good and bad days like most. My youngest son is in Army cadets and tommorrow he is going on a field exercise where he and a group of cadets will do a fifteen kilometer compass march in the mountains by themselves. the Army and rangers will patrol the trails and there will be checkpoints but these kids will do the legs of the march on their own carrying a 35 pound pack. They will be responsible for the compass and map work as well. My son is 14 and right now i could not be prouder of him. He is the 2IC of his section and said the repsonsibilty made him nervous and he was a little scared. I have told no matter how it turns out i will will be proud of him. Now I just get to worry till he gets back :)
Cheers
fred

It 's great to hear about kids learning some of the good ole ways to do things. Some of my fondest memories of my youth were scout related.

Learning to navigate with a compass, the stars, and even starting a fire in the rain. All those skills and many more came in handy in my adulthood.
It's real easy to get around with a talking GPS and all the other gadets available. But like I have always said, unplug em or have the batteries die, and your sc#$#d, without some basic skills.

About 10 years ago, I found myself about 50 miles offshore in a 55 ft Sport fish yacht we were delivering to a new owner. Suddenly we realized we should have been in port by now. After some serious checking it was discovered the main compass had not been set[new] for magnetic varience and was at least 15dergrees off .

The electronic compass and navigation aid auto-pilot was run by a gyro of some sort and had jumped of the gimbals. It was dark but clear and I had a small hand held compass I always carried. By using it and the stars, I determined we were 38miles off course and 3hrs away from the nearest port; On top of that we were low on fuel and a major storm was brewing. The captain never let me forget how glad he was I had been a scout. I got us within 1000yards of a sea bouy 15mi off shore.

By reading the number on it and using good old charts we made it in safe and sound, by the nick off time. It happened to be the Stuart Florida entrance, which is one of the worst on the Eastern seaboard, but better than nothing. The entrance is so shallow, when there are 12ft waves, we bottomed out several times on the way in. The storm turned into a full blown gale and we were on fumes as we found out the next morning when we fueled up.
So one never knows when that simple hike in the woods by compass, can come back and really mean something.

I'd be proud of him too, if he was my son!
Had I not done a similar hike in my youth, I doubt if I would be here to relate this story!

Good for your son Fred!!

For the life of me I CANNOT understand why parents do not make thier sons join and stick with scouts. The skills a boy learns there stick with him for life. I have 4 sons and the 2 younger ones are going through BSA right now. The two older ones made it all the way to Eagle. #3 son's project is scheduled for Oct 21 and #4 is a Life rank also. The two older ones have told me that their favorite memories of growing up were the things they did in scouting, hiking Philmont, swimming with nurse sharks at Seabase, jumping off a 40 ft cliff into the water at Canoe base.

My oldest boy is now a Marine and when he did wilderness survival training, he already knew what he needed to do. Making a fire using a bow drill, land navigation, edible wild plants, building snow shelters, game snares, etc. He was surprised how many of those doing the training with him did not have these skills already.

I challenge any of you parents of boys age 11-18 to get your sons into scouting now. It's not an organization for wimps. Sports is not an excuse, as all my boys do sports on the varsity level in school. PLUS it gives dear old dad an great excuse to get out of the house into the outdoors at least once a month and a great excuse to launch rockets guaranteed once a year (space exploration MB counselor).

Joe W

My nephew just made SPL in his troop and my son is now a patrol leader in the same troop.

Dan

I'd be proud of him as well! The skills he'll learn on this trip will carry through with him throughout life. Congratulations Dad!

I'm proud of him too.

Some of my fondest memories are about the Boy Scouts. I remember doing something very similar to what your son is doing.

Best wishes to you and your son.

The pride we feel as parents is a great reward as our kids reach and pass milestones like this. They grow up awful fast don't they.

A BIG CONGRATS to you and your son from Brookline, MA! :)

Thanks fellas. I hope he does well and comes back in one piece. He met a soldier from my old regiment who just came back from a tour overseas. My son was already discussing what the food was like with him :) Who knows maybe next week he will want to be a landscaper :lol: I am convinced this will be a good experiance for him.
Cheers
fred

I am convinced this will be a good experiance for him.
Cheers
fred

I'm more than convinced, I'm certain it will be good for him. Nothing improves the confidence of a young man than to have a big challenge in the outdoors like this and overcome it. And have a blast at the same time. He'll remember it for as long as he lives.

Joe W

Hmmmmm Cadets, eh

Yup he'a a master corporal now. Makes me shake my head when I see him wearing a beret. It's a little like looking back in time. Not like when I shave in the morning and see my dad looking at me :p Passage of time issues :)
For those of you who dont know what the cadet organistion in canada is all about heres a link :)
https://www.cadets.ca/about-nous/intro_e.asp
Cheers
fred

Back