Next Estes build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Here is what I am working on next. I have a beat up collection of the orig. Goonys. I am doing to the Soviet Interceptor and poss the Zoom Broom.

goony.jpg

Russian.jpg

Man thas hilarious keep us posted please :)
Cheers
Fred

Oh PLEASE scan those decals before you put them on the rockets! Maybe there are scans "out there" already, but only to be sure...!

Sweet! Did you draw the decals yourself? If so, you have an obligation - nay, a mandate to share them with the rest of us! :D

I did the decals myself, I will post them next week after I put them on my rocket. I may have to do some revisions. I will see, but when I am done I will post them.

I will begin sealing tomorrow and spray primer. Should be all done by this Thur.

goony004.jpg

I will begin sealing tomorrow and spray primer. Should be all done by this Thur.

goony004.jpg

It seems that the grain is running perpendicular to the root edge. Is it just the angle of the picture?

Yes it is, this is the way Estes designed it. I have the orig. sheet of wood and that is how they have it. I thought it was strange also.

That's very cool, I had forgotten about these things. Looks like you could by a Mini-Bertha a cut out some new fins and your in business.

Please post the finished product.

Yes it is, this is the way Estes designed it. I have the orig. sheet of wood and that is how they have it. I thought it was strange also.

Hmm. That is odd. Just hope it won't break on landing...

how do you normaly run the grain on an eliptical fin?

I encountered the same thing when I built the Estes Colonial Viper, the dorsal fin has the same grain pattern. I don't think it will be a big issue since I will be flying with mini engine, and I normally catch my landings. Also this is some real good hard balsa and the sanding sealer added some strength. My colonial Viper has not broken its dorsal fin after 2 launches.

I sealed the fins and sprayed one coat of primer followed by one coat of flat white. I will spray my glossy white tomorrow.

goony007.jpg

goony006.jpg

Styme, I was just pointing out that the grain is horizontal, and the fin that extends past the bottom of the bodytube can break easier. And SCIG, it's really turning out nice. I love it!

Here she is after 1 coat of grey primer, 1 coat of flat white, 1 coat of Glossy White. I will wait 12 hours and apply my decals.

100_3253.jpg

Just waiting for her to dry and then I will put my decals on.....I am torn if I want to place the orig. Zoom Broom decals on or use my Soviet Interceptor.;...Oh well

100_3257.jpg

From the start of the thread it looked like you were going to do both. If you're having to choose, then I'd say go with the Soviet Interceptor. Otherwise, you've wasted a perfectly good sheet of decal paper.

I think I am going to do the Interceptor. I was going to build both but time was scarce. I will try to draw up decals for the other Goony rockets as well.

Well after 12 hours I put my decals on, they all fit with no problems. If this would have been real goony decals they would have been peel and stick.
100_3265.jpg

100_3261.jpg

Russian.jpg

What could be next?
100_3259.jpg

Looks like next the V1 will finally recover from it's days as the missle toe. It took quite a bit of therapy and a couple of shock sessions, but he's finally ready.;)

The MatterVerkens is the one I want to build - I think that one is really cool!

BTW, did you print those decals on a color laser or on an inkjet (or are you one of the REALLY lucky ones who has an ALPS?) - They look really good. :D

Too cool for school, Scigs!:cool: Now, it's missing one important detail as shown in the illustration......fire coming out of the back end!:)

Back