"N" Motor Test

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a static test from a few years ago - with a local guy I know. I even rode to Springfest in Nevada with that motor. Flew first motor on EX day that year.

Edward

Sure looked like a great way to clean the pesky snow off the sidewalks... Wonder what the neighbors will think!! :D

John
LOC Caliber ISP (Level 1 and 2 machine)
LOC Magnum (building)
Lotsa smaller stuff

What was that propellant? It didn't look solid propellant. My guess would be Lox and Kerosene by the way it throttled up and burned out.

What was that propellant? It didn't look solid propellant. My guess would be Lox and Kerosene by the way it throttled up and burned out.

Definitely solid, and from the way it burned, probably AN. If it were LOX/kero, it would have burned far cleaner than that.

Looked a bit regressive, but nice and long [~13 seconds] for super high altitudes on close to min-diameter airframes.

If I remember that motor is progressive to about 2/3 of the burn then tails off. Ken loves slow liftoffs. He's the reason I like 3:1 takeoffs.

Edward

Sure looked like a great way to clean the pesky snow off the sidewalks... Wonder what the neighbors will think!! :D

John
LOC Caliber ISP (Level 1 and 2 machine)
LOC Magnum (building)
Lotsa smaller stuff

No, that's not a snow blower. :) Attached is a real rocket motor snow blower during cold qualifications. It's a small carbon composite unit (P class) we make for the Navy. The outside air was almost -30C and the motor was conditioned to -50C at ignition. It reached 90% Pc in less than 70 milliseconds and within spec.

Anthony J. Cesaroni
President/CEO
Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace
https://www.cesaronitech.com/
(941) 360-3100 x101 Sarasota
(905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto

View attachment 225.pdf

That is a pretty cool vid.

It seems from my experimentation with AN that there is a substantial "warm-up" zone where the NH4NO3 --> NH3 + H20 + N20 + some other stuff. It is weird though... that warm up seemed very hydrocarbon-based. I guess that makes sense for PBAN or HTPB.

With AN and Carbon there appears to be a threshold where the combustion goes from smokey to no smoke. Even though there isn't graphite in the fuel in this video you kinda see a little of this...though not nearly as much as the formulations I've been working with.

I've always been intrigued by the secondary reaction that occurs right outside the nozzle. Does the extra illumination come from the shock and/or the reaction time?

Back