Back after a VERY long time

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Race58

Reaction score
Hi:

First let me say this is one of the BEST forums I have seen on any topic to date. My hats off to all of you.:congrats:

I have been away from this hobby for many years. I was building and flying rockets in the 70’ and 80’s.

MAN! has this hobby changed!!! For the better I think! Things like rocksim, digital video and audio, more powerful and impressive engines to mention some, and of course the Internet.

During that time I built the Saturn V, Mars Lander, Orbital Transport, Camroc, Mean Machine, to name some and many many others small and large including “D” Payloaders and 2 & 3 stage so my kids could launch bugs into space. It was a fun time.

I retired in 1997 and sold our house in Chicago in 1999 and my wife and I lived a dream of traveling around the country in a motorhome. We did that for the last 8 yrs and saw a whole lot of this “Great” country. This spring we felt it was time and we needed more room, (A workshop/room for me! For my toys.) and so we settled in northern Arkansas.

I want to start building rockets again along with r/c stuff which I also used to do. Not much luck in flying so I decided this time it will be boats. If they sink I can SCUBA for them.:D

I am interested in doing some piggyback booster/glider types and onboard video. I have decided that my next purchase will be a Dr. Zoock’s Space Shuttle because it looks like a good build and flyer and he had me in tears watching his video about the “ANTstronauts”. (My kinda guy!). :rotflol:
If anybody has any other suggestions I would appreciate it as well as any info on clubs in the NE Arkansas area
Thanks

Welcome! You've come to the right place.

It sounds like you are a BAR from the same time period as myself. I flew in the 70's up to the early 80's only to return in 2005. There are a great deal of wonderful rockets available. I suggest looking at Semroc and Fliskits. If you are into real space vehicles Dr. Zooch and his Antronauts are a good choice. Feel free to ask questions and Welcome Back!

Welcome back to the hobby. As another BAR from the 70s, I know what you mean about how exciting the hobby has gotten in the last few years. And the resources - be sure to check out Jimz Rocket Plans

https://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm

and Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe:

https://www.rocketshoppe.com/

for all kinds of plans and instructions from years past. Almost anything you used to have and don't have any longer (or wished you'd gotten but never did) can be cloned from parts available from BMS, Semrock and FlisKits. Not to mention the great kits from those companies plus Edmonds, Apogee, ASP, Pemberton, Squirrelworks, PDR, Custom and Sunward, just to name a few (it'd take all day to list them all, and I'd probably still forget one or two). Be sure to do searches on them, and be sure to check out EMRR for reviews of many of their rockets and links to their companies:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/

As for suggestions, how about combining two hobbies - RCRG and RCBG. There are a few kits available out there, such as Edmond's Arcie II, available from BMS. Given that one of the events at NARAM 50 next year is going to be D Boost Glide, I'm certain a number of home grown RCBG and RCRG designs will emerge. I know I'm excited about learning this aspect of the hobby.

Again, welcome, and don't be afraid to ask questions - we all love to give answers and advice, and sometimes it'll even be correct! ;)

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that I already purchsed a Semroc Saturn 1B and an Estes Renegade "E" 2-stage. Can't wait to start building this week.

I did it from 1974 to about 1984

I probably brain dead but BAR ???

I probably brain dead but BAR ???

BAR = Born Again Rocketeer. An affectionate term used to describe someone who was once involved in the hobby, but was wrested from its grasp at some point in life, only to again return to its fold.

DUH!:(
See I told you I was brain dead. Sure hope I can remember how to fly theses things

Welcome back to the hobby, Race58!

The Zooch Shuttle and the Semroc Saturn 1B are two of my favorites. There are some really detailed build threads on both of these models that will provide some really good advice. And like others have said, check out Fliskits.

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Am glad you're back in the throw of rocketry!

Race58,

Welcome Back! I did rocketry in the 60s, and growing up in Colorado meant a trip to Estes and a tour by Vern himself. I returned to the hobby in the 70s while working on missiles at the Naval Weapons Center, and then again in the early 90s with kids. From there I got exposed to high power, and did that for 6-7 years, but tired of the regulation and hassle of it.

Dabbled in RC, but ARFs are boring, and I just didn't see myself "scratch-building" planes. Returned to low-power stuff, since that is where it all started for me. And a high power buddy from years ago was the one that got me back into rocketry -- he had the same experience.

And I suspect that is the allure for so many of us. You'll find tons of great info here, and from the many great vendors supporting this hobby.

Enjoy!

Lee

I'm another BAR from the 70's here. Welcome to our little home.

I also do RC boats, a good site for info on that is:

https://www.rumrunnerracing.com/

I've cut back a lot on boats since I got back into rockets. I can go Mach 1 for less than $100 in a rocket. It cost me $750 to go 60MPH in a RC boat.

Welcome to TRF and welcome *back* to rocketry :)

Warning, rocketry bites a lot harder the second time around.

Enjoy yourself, read lots and contribute too!
jim

Hi! Welcome!! I too am a sort of BAR (never really got out but 1 rocket every couple of years isn't much!) and I can't believe the quantity and quality of the rockets out there now. I started with the '70 estes catalog and with the help of Semroc, Ebay clones and Estes themselves I have the same fleet(all new) as I had in 1973 :D Have fun!

THANKS for the warm welcome from you all.
The links and the suggestions you gave were great and after reading a lot of it it going to cost me more $$ (psst, don't tell my wife, wheew that was close I almost got hit by the Milwaukees Best Beer Can:D)

As I posted earlier I already bought the Semroc Saturn 1B some others. I just got thru buying the Space Shuttle from Dr. Zooch and am looking foward to that.

JFLIS

I am getting ready to purchase one of yours and I'm trying to decide on "Duece" "Tres" or "Freedom Forge" with baffle kits. What do you think ofwhich one I should go with first.

Again ,Thanks to you ALL. Best Info I have seen anywhere

Well, I finally picked up a Deuce and it is a very interesting kit. Looks like a good kit to learn clustering techniques on. (One of our club members has one and flies it quite a bit - I can't wait to try it myself!) I've got mine assembled but I haven't had a chance to seal the fins or paint it yet.

Whichever you try, enjoy!!!

Welcome back to the hobby. As another BAR from the 70s, I know what you mean about how exciting the hobby has gotten in the last few years. And the resources - be sure to check out Jimz Rocket Plans

https://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm

and Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe:

https://www.rocketshoppe.com/

for all kinds of plans and instructions from years past. Almost anything you used to have and don't have any longer (or wished you'd gotten but never did) can be cloned from parts available from BMS, Semrock and FlisKits. Not to mention the great kits from those companies plus Edmonds, Apogee, ASP, Pemberton, Squirrelworks, PDR, Custom and Sunward, just to name a few (it'd take all day to list them all, and I'd probably still forget one or two). Be sure to do searches on them, and be sure to check out EMRR for reviews of many of their rockets and links to their companies:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/

As for suggestions, how about combining two hobbies - RCRG and RCBG. There are a few kits available out there, such as Edmond's Arcie II, available from BMS. Given that one of the events at NARAM 50 next year is going to be D Boost Glide, I'm certain a number of home grown RCBG and RCRG designs will emerge. I know I'm excited about learning this aspect of the hobby.

Again, welcome, and don't be afraid to ask questions - we all love to give answers and advice, and sometimes it'll even be correct! ;)
As a relatively new BAR myself, I can attest to the value of these resources as well.

I haven't seen it mentioned that Estes also has Estes rocket plans on their website:

https://www.estesrockets.com/instructions

While Estes site may not be as user-friendly or comprehensive as the other sites, there may be stuff there you can't find at the others (e.g., I found the instructions for the later version of the Estes Avenger (1238) on Estes website which differs slightly from the original version (K-38) that can found on JimZ's site).

Welcome to the site!

THANKS for the warm welcome from you all.
The links and the suggestions you gave were great and after reading a lot of it it going to cost me more $$ (psst, don't tell my wife, wheew that was close I almost got hit by the Milwaukees Best Beer Can:D)

As I posted earlier I already bought the Semroc Saturn 1B some others. I just got thru buying the Space Shuttle from Dr. Zooch and am looking foward to that.

JFLIS

I am getting ready to purchase one of yours and I'm trying to decide on "Duece" "Tres" or "Freedom Forge" with baffle kits. What do you think ofwhich one I should go with first.

Again ,Thanks to you ALL. Best Info I have seen anywhere

You would enjoy any of them :) If you have no clustering experience, I would recommend the Deuce's Wild! over the Tres, if for no other reason than to start you on clustering TWO motors before you move on to three...

The Freedom Forge Missile is also a very kewl design with a scale-like look to it.

Frankly, you will do well with any of them. I'm waiting for someone to chime in that owning a Deuce is an unwritten law 'round TRF though... :D

jim

Ok Jim, you convinced me. I will start with the "Duece" (Don't want to violate any laws);)

I was about to try clustering back in the 70's with my Estes saturn V. I still have the 3 engine cluster I built for it but never tried because on the maiden flight with a "D" motor there was a side burn and ,well you know,,,Cruise Missile!.:(

Do I just let you know and pay thru "PayPal" or go thru your website?
Thanks Again

You would enjoy any of them :) If you have no clustering experience, I would recommend the Deuce's Wild! over the Tres, if for no other reason than to start you on clustering TWO motors before you move on to three...

The Freedom Forge Missile is also a very kewl design with a scale-like look to it.

Frankly, you will do well with any of them. I'm waiting for someone to chime in that owning a Deuce is an unwritten law 'round TRF though... :D

jim

jim

Well, it is.

:lol:

Look at the other Zooch kits as well. Lots of neat birds there like the saturn V and Ares1. Glad to hear you feel welcome here. I like scale myself but whatever your taste enjoy yourself :)
Cheers
fred

Ok Jim, you convinced me. I will start with the "Duece" (Don't want to violate any laws);)

I was about to try clustering back in the 70's with my Estes saturn V. I still have the 3 engine cluster I built for it but never tried because on the maiden flight with a "D" motor there was a side burn and ,well you know,,,Cruise Missile!.:(

Do I just let you know and pay thru "PayPal" or go thru your website?
Thanks Again

Easiest would be to just buy it through the web site. Our shopping cart is via paypal anyway, so you should be all set.

jim

Back