Giant Leap 3" Vertical Assault Motor Estimates

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryb

Reaction score
I am in the process of picking my motors for my L1 and possibly L2 attempt for this kit. It's current in its "naked" stage, awaiting primer and for Mamma to pick the color scheme. One of the ways I got her to let me buy into HPR...

anyway, does anyone that has THIS or a very similar kit have any motor/altitude estimates to share with me?

not really wanting to start a "that motor would rock in that rocket" thread here.

I have rocksim and could model it, but time and time just keep me from getting that done.

thanks in advance,

Jerryb

The problem I have found with modeling larger rockets like this one is the weight and cg of the finished product. That can vary enough in just the building techniques to make a difference. If you can get a finished weight, balance it and get the dimensions of the fins and structure then it's a snap.

(Psssst...by the way, if you are going to do all that it only takes another 10 minutes to model it in Rocksim. Don't worry about the materials for fins and the tubes just use the mass/cg over-ride function and it will get you real close.)

-DAllen

thanks for that idea... I have it close to completion... this kit uses an acme fincan, so I think that i have that component already in Rocksim. Problem comes in the weight of the stuff in the altimeter and the amount of epoxy i've added to the tail of this thing filling those enormouse gaps for the fincan.

later
Jerryb

The problem I have found with modeling larger rockets like this one is the weight and cg of the finished product. That can vary enough in just the building techniques to make a difference. If you can get a finished weight, balance it and get the dimensions of the fins and structure then it's a snap.

(Psssst...by the way, if you are going to do all that it only takes another 10 minutes to model it in Rocksim. Don't worry about the materials for fins and the tubes just use the mass/cg over-ride function and it will get you real close.)

-DAllen

Giant Leap has several estimates on their Vertical Assult page. Mine weighed 7 lbs with motor installed and went to 4900 feet on a J275.

Jim

Is your kit the Fiberglass version? I am going to build one and I have it modeled in RockSim. What is your final weight (without motor) and CG? I'm not at home right now but I can run some sims tonight.
I can tell you that if put a Loki L1400 in it, it will go fast and high:cool:

No, mine is the phenolic version. I didnt have the extra budget for the preglassed one. I've seen others fly, and they do get up there..lol

can you email me the sim file if you dont mind?

I'll put all the guts in it and weight it in a bit though. Its not primed, but paint shouldnt add too much at this point maybe an oz or two, not enough to effect the CG.

thanks
Jerryb

Is your kit the Fiberglass version? I am going to build one and I have it modeled in RockSim. What is your final weight (without motor) and CG? I'm not at home right now but I can run some sims tonight.
I can tell you that if put a Loki L1400 in it, it will go fast and high:cool:

I used a GLR FWFG Elipse weighing around 6.5lbs for my L1 & L2 certs using an I357T and a J420R respectively.

The I357T-10 went to around 1400ft AGL and the J420R-14 went 3033ft AGL

The elipse is not too disimilar to the GLR VA.

Does anyone have a Rocksim file for Vertical Assault 3? It would sure be a time saver.

Thanks!

IIRC, mine came out at just over 8 lbs fully loaded, got around 3100 feet on an I375GG.

Back