New fleet additions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanel

Reaction score
Now that my burn-out is over, I have been building like a fiend :D The fleet has expanded in the past couple of weeks... First up is a Semroc Centurion:

Centurion.jpg

After that, an easy, easy build - an Estes Liquidator (BTW did I mention that I despise peel and stick decals? :kill: ):

Liquidator.jpg

Something that most rocketeers don't see every day - the Space Camp rocket, used by the kiddos here in Huntsville. It's called the SCRV Eagle:

SCRV_Eagle.jpg

Great looking additions. The Centurion is very neat and clean, great looking rocket!

Did you find your StormCaster coupler and tubes a very tight fit? I was doing some work on mine last night and the coupler stuck about a 1/4" in and not square, I was able to force it the rest of the way but it was not square and I ended up kinking the upper BT very slightly. Needless to say I felt like an idiot for not really test fitting the whole assembly and sanding accordingly. Looks like a trip to the HS for a new BT-60 and coupler.

On another note, did you modify yours in any way? I put a 'E' engine hook in mine and am looking forward to some E9 flights...

Very nice Vanel. I agree with K.M., the Centurion is especially nice looking.

Did you find your StormCaster coupler and tubes a very tight fit? I was doing some work on mine last night and the coupler stuck about a 1/4" in and not square, I was able to force it the rest of the way but it was not square and I ended up kinking the upper BT very slightly. Needless to say I felt like an idiot for not really test fitting the whole assembly and sanding accordingly. Looks like a trip to the HS for a new BT-60 and coupler.

Yes, the coupler required a bit of sanding in order to get a decent fit. That's modern Estes for ya :rolleyes:

Yeppers, I modified mine to take E's - more motor choices :D

Thanks for the comments on the Centurion - Semroc makes some really sweet kits!

Those rockets are awesome :) I like the Interceptors but I am thinking mine will be modified with some winders on the wingtips and some maple leafs on the wings :p
Cheers
Fred

More new additions: A "semi-clone" of the Centuri Payloader II, a PDR clone of the Estes A-20 Demon, and a 13 mm Sputnik, in honor of the 50th anniversary.

PayloaderII_2.jpg

PDR_A20_Demon.jpg

Sputnik_13mm.jpg

More adds... A Centuri Egg Crate clone, a clone of the Estes Scorpion 2 stager (circa 1980), and a clone of the Centuri Vulcan.

Decals by Excelsior :D

eggcrate.jpg

scorpion.jpg

Vulcan.jpg

I'm envious. Nice fleet indeed!

You've got me wishing for a Vulcan. Did you scratch build that baby, or did you find a NOS kit?

I'm envious. Nice fleet indeed!

You've got me wishing for a Vulcan. Did you scratch build that baby, or did you find a NOS kit?

Scratch built - laser printed the parts on card stock and used a Starlight PC-20B I purchased from Jonrocket as the nose cone.

Ah, I didn't know Starlight made a cone the right shape... I am considering building a color Vulcan (I have two black Vulcans) but needed a cone. I do have Semroc BNC-20B cones which would probably work with some drilling and weighting, but it would sure be easier with a plastic cone.

Got to go look at that one...

More adds... A Centuri Egg Crate clone, a clone of the Estes Scorpion 2 stager (circa 1980), and a clone of the Centuri Vulcan.

Decals by Excelsior :D

Hey where'd ya get the nose cone on the Egg Crate clone?? What size tube does it fit??

That NC profile looks almost perfect for a Delta IV Heavy scratchie... :)

Thanks for any info! OL JR :)

BTW NIIICE work!!! :)

Ah, I didn't know Starlight made a cone the right shape... I am considering building a color Vulcan (I have two black Vulcans) but needed a cone. I do have Semroc BNC-20B cones which would probably work with some drilling and weighting, but it would sure be easier with a plastic cone.

Got to go look at that one...

The Starlight PC-20B is 1.75" long, which is 0.25" longer than the Semroc BNC-20B. I opted to give my Vulcan a slightly longer nose to avoid the drilling and weighting you mentioned. Packing a hollow plastic cone with clay is sooo much easier. ;)

black-vulcan.jpg

The cone on this bird is left over from my original Centuri Vulcan. The clay ruined the rocket... oil leached out of it and discolored the upper third of the shroud.

I dug it all out and replaced it with BBs and epoxy.

Finished my Estes Firecat clone this evening - looks much better than in the picture... Parts by Semroc, decals from Excelsior.

Now I have clones of both Estes Aerospace Club rockets - the Viper and Firecat :D

Firecat001.jpg

Beautiful birds Bill! I'm really digg'n the A-20 Demon and the Firecat!:)

Just finished this one - a clone of the Estes Little John. Simple, but a nice rocket.

Decals by Excelsior...

LJ.jpg

Just finished this one - a clone of the Estes Little John. Simple, but a nice rocket.

Decals by Excelsior...
Simple can be very nice and Scale is always good :) Great rocket :)
Cheers
fred

Can we get a couple more shots of the Firecat? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.:D

Back