Acceptance letter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicagonative17

Reaction score
I am really excited.

I just got my first college acceptance letter to the University of Iowa St.! I plan on going to the school for Aerospace Engineering as well as going ROTC Air Force. If you haven't seen the campus, its beautiful. I just simply can't wait!

Now this is great news!!! Congratulations!

Sounds like you know what you want to do and really have a good plan of action. Way to go!

Ian, Ian, Ian - before your write a letter thanking them for accepting you please get the name of the school right - It's Iowa State University. The University of Iowa is another school in this Great State. There is also Northern Iowa which is my favorite as well as many other non-state institutions of higher learning. I don't believe there is a University of Iowa State anywhere.... :D

Iowa State is a Space Grant College, you know. As well as a Land Grant college. The Sea Grant Colleges aren't found in Iowa that I'm aware.

Congratulations on your acceptance. You're about to begin on a road to wonderment, amazement and learning you'll not regret. ROTC should be good too!

I always thought University of Iowa St. was the same as Iowa St. University. Sorry if they are two different things.

As for the college, I love it. I knew when I visited it that it was the one I wanted to attend, and it was also the first one I got accepted to! Once I saw their Aerospace Engineering dept. I knew I had to get into this school. As for Air Force... When I was 4 years old and saw my 1st (remembered) Chicago Air and Water show with the Blue Angels, I said to my parents," I want to do that when I grow up", and my thought hasn't changed...accept I will do it after getting a degree in Aerospace Engineering : )

No sweat, man - just workin' on ya!

Being young, knowing what you want and gettin' it done is a great way to be. In all sincerity -Congrats! It is a big deal. Good luck.

As for Air Force... When I was 4 years old and saw my 1st (remembered) Chicago Air and Water show with the Blue Angels, I said to my parents," I want to do that when I grow up"
'cept the Blue Angels would be Navy... ;)

Just workin' ya too! Congrats on the college acceptance!

Congrats, even if you aren't going to the University of Colorado ;)

Congratulations! I'm applying to Iowa State for their AE program, too.

Ian, Ian, Ian - before your write a letter thanking them for accepting you please get the name of the school right - It's Iowa State University. The University of Iowa is another school in this Great State. There is also Northern Iowa which is my favorite as well as many other non-state institutions of higher learning. I don't believe there is a University of Iowa State anywhere.... :D

I always thought University of Iowa St. was the same as Iowa St. University. Sorry if they are two different things.

Hehe...I'm finding out that there are quite a few people sensitive to how a school's title is stated.

"University of Kansas" and "Kansas University" are both valid terms for the same school, but "Iowa State University" is valid while "University of Iowa State" isn't. :rolleyes:

Congrats, what America needs is more innovators like yourself. AE is a good field, and a tough one...but you have seem to have the knack.

Best of luck to you, college is so much better on the other side ;)

Johnnie

I think it will be really fun, one of the IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY : ) AE groups did a high altitude rocket and carried some experimental equipment on it. Now they are designing a more efficient space transportation vehicle.

FWIW, the University of Iowa was originally known as The State University of Iowa

You can still find a few references to the old name around campus. I don't remember exactly where I first stumbled across it; it's been a few years.

-Kevin

... just got my first college acceptance letter to the University of Iowa St.! I plan on going to the school for Aerospace Engineering ...

Congratulations! Hopefully, you'll get a couple of other acceptance letters, and it'll make your decisions all that much harder! ;)

One of my engineering students has also applied to ISU - he was sold on the idea when he saw a web site devoted to their CANSAT contest entry this year (they placed 6th out of 7 schools that actually made the competition - hopefully you guys will do much better next year!). He's still waiting as of Friday, so it's good to know that the early acceptance letters are going out, now!

Congrats Ian! Just a bit of sage advice from someone who has 'been there/done that'..Apply yourself..Make your college work a job and your paycheck is good grades..Good grades=good job after school=good pay=more rocketry goodies and makes you the envy of your peers :)

It's awesome that you will be able to fold your hobby of rocketry into your college study!:)

It is my understanding that after handing over Towne Engineering Building to the 'civil' Es some years ago (the building that was put up specifically for Aerospace Engineering) that the Aeros have a new building somewhere else on campus. Oh, well, things change. They also tore down my old dorm.

Let's hope that you are not still required to take the slide-rule class, the one they held upstairs in the (literally) WWII-era Quonset buildings.

powderburner,
I.S.U. Aerospace Engineering 1975

They have a new Aero building and it is INCREDIBLE. They have windtunnels both sub and super sonic, tornado generators that are 2 stories tall and much more. The new building is basically what really got my attention to this program.

Sub, super, vertical vortex (tornado)....

We had all that, plus a light gas gun, plus a water tow-tank, plus an analog computer lab (for flight controls classes), plus a bunch of other labs.

For my senior project, I got to use the big smoke tunnel (test sectn about 1 ft wide and 5 feet tall) and the big open-circuit low-speed tunnel (test section 2 ft by 10 or 12 feet).

Some of the students formed an RC club and we had a huge room for building, repairing, and storing our models. We had a big club model with a 5-6 foot span and a bunch of smaller ones. And we had access to a pretty nice workshop in the basement.

Probably the best part was that there was nothing but open space between Towne and the athletic building---acres and acres of open space for flying RC and launching rockets, with absolutely no obstacles in the way. Just step out the back door of Towne and fly RC right there on the spot. From what I hear, that land is all covered with buildings now.

It is my understanding that after handing over Towne Engineering Building to the 'civil' Es some years ago (the building that was put up specifically for Aerospace Engineering) that the Aeros have a new building somewhere else on campus. Oh, well, things change. They also tore down my old dorm.

Let's hope that you are not still required to take the slide-rule class, the one they held upstairs in the (literally) WWII-era Quonset buildings.

powderburner,
I.S.U. Aerospace Engineering 1975

Your old dorm?
Would that have been Westgate or Knapp-Storms?
I lived in Wilson in the Towers and in Westgate.

Congratulations!

I received my Bachelor's in Chemistry from Iowa State and My wife her Master's in Chemistry.

John

Way to go, Ian!

However, you'll quickly learn another distinction for Iowa State (and for University of Iowa, too.)

The die hard fans in my area (of the respected NCAA sports programs) refer to them as "Ames" and "Iowa City," respectfully.

"I have neice that goes to Ames."

"My son is enrolled up at Iowa City."

You'll still be able to make launches at the Crown Jewel - heck, it's probably a shorter drive from Ames to Walcott than it is from Ottumwa (where I live.) That is, unless you do as I did in school, and get too wasted on Friday to roll out of bed early enough on Saturday to make it worth it. Let alone the prospect of standing out in the sun, staring up into the blue sky, hung over and smelling like stale beer and a wet ash tray. Then your too looking forward to repeating the process on Saturday night that the basic process repeats on Sunday. And then again on Monday, and oh yeah, campus bar night on Wednesday, "after-hours" on Thursday.... (But that was a different campus in my case, a long time ago, in a galxy far, far away....)

You get the idea. ;)

Way to go, Ian!

However, you'll quickly learn another distinction for Iowa State (and for University of Iowa, too.)

The die hard fans in my area (of the respected NCAA sports programs) refer to them as "Ames" and "Iowa City," respectfully.

You'll still be able to make launches at the Crown Jewel - heck, it's probably a shorter drive from Ames to Walcott than it is from Ottumwa (where I live.) That is, unless you do as I did in school, and get too wasted on Friday to roll out of bed early enough on Saturday to make it worth it. Let alone the prospect of standing out in the sun, staring up into the blue sky, hung over and smelling like stale beer and a wet ash tray. Then your too looking forward to repeating the process on Saturday night that the basic process repeats on Sunday. And then again on Monday, and oh yeah, campus bar night on Wednesday, "after-hours" on Thursday.... (But that was a different campus in my case, a long time ago, in a galxy far, far away....)

You get the idea. ;)

:lol:

I don't know why but this cracked me up. Something about being very serious about being drunk(hung over) on a saturday morning.

I plan on NOT getting wasted. In fact, I have yet to get drunk or smoke, and I will try and keep it that way. (doesn't mean I won't miss out on the parties though ;)).

Way to go, Ian!

You get the idea. ;)

That must be the Radar O'Reilly influence there in Ottumwa, Fore Check. Up north we say Iowa or Iowa State. Unless, of course, you're referring to Kurt Warner's college of Northern Iowa - then you just say UNI.

Ian - also speaking from experience. Stay away from the booze, smokes and women as long as you can. They're all far too expensive. Ease into women first, then smokes. It's far easier to drink when you're smokin'.

That's a joke, kids. All of the above listed vices are bad and addictive. Don't get involved with them at least until you move away to college. :cool:

I recently have been saying Iowa State as well as Ames. Both are applicable I would assume.

For what I hear, the school is not only a really good academic school, but its also a notorious party school, is this true? The only girl "fun" I will have will be with girls I know. I plan on NEVER smoking in my life and only drinking when I know it won't knock me out for several hours ; )

BTW: I LOVE MASH, one of my favorite shows.

Sounds actually very similar to CU :)

I can certainly say that there are plenty of partiers here :)

:lol:

I don't know why but this cracked me up. Something about being very serious about being drunk(hung over) on a saturday morning.

I plan on NOT getting wasted. In fact, I have yet to get drunk or smoke, and I will try and keep it that way. (doesn't mean I won't miss out on the parties though ;)).

Glad the voice of experience could help you out there, dude. ;)

I will say that your years in college will (and should be) a learning experience on many other levels than what is dictated by the syllabus and curriculum. It is a time to discover things about yourself, and learn to be an independent "adult" (to use *that* term rather loosely.) Never lose sight of the social experience, however you choose to engage in it. In reflection on my collegiate life, I would say that the social "training" and political acumen developed (yeah, right) - yes, even in bawdy party situations - has been as much or more valuable in life today than my technical expertise centered in the classroom.

In other words, have fun! Every hour of the day will be a part of who you are for many years to come.
:cool:

Back