BT80 Mosquito Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never done glassing before so I would have to practice and learn how.

It is a pretty fun exercise. I used a long cure epoxy, and thinned it with about 15% lacquer thinner (a number of solvents will work to thin epoxy, just check the label). This way, it brushed on easily, and was easy to squeegee off. I used a plastic lid from a butter tub, cut at a slight curve to be close to the profile of the tube being glassed, to aid in removing excess epoxy. If you leave toomuch epoxy on, you will be sanding forever.

Try 1 to 1.5 oz. cloth. Anything thinner will be too hard to handle -- too flimsy. I cut a piece slightly longer than the tube, and wide enough to go around the tube 2-3 times. Coat the tube, roll the glass on, apply more epoxy to the dry spots, and use the squeegee and your hands to work out most of the epoxy, and to smooth any wrinkles or bubbles. WEAR GLOVES!

To store for drying, suspend on a dowel, or a straightened piece of coathanger wire.

Once you get the hang of it (after doing a couple of tubes), you will have a nice sturdy tube that requires just a little sanding, and a few primer coats will fill the weave of the glass. Really makes spiral seams easy to hide. The ends can be trimmed with scissors, and then lightly sanded to blend into the tube. Don't be too concerned with little voids. You can fill with putty, or if really small, your primer coats can fill the voids.

On HPR stuff, I have even glassed over launch lugs. You cannot even see the strip when sanded to feather the edges into the tube. And of course, you can lay strips into fin-tube joints for strength.

Most of this is overkill for lowpower, but it can help beef up low-power kits to handle 24mm composite motors, without adding much weight.

Sorry to steal the theard for a second but, would it be required for 38mm projects?

If you like upscale Mosquito's you should check out the Polecat "skeeter" It's a HPR 4"BT. I know you all probably prefer scratch builds but it looks like it would be a blast.

Question?

I assume you use a standard length BT-80 14" If not, what length did you use....
BAR
John

I used a 9.5" length. I cut it down from the 14" tubes I got from Red Arrow Hobbies.

The BT80 is a 4.778x upscale.

Question?

I assume you use a standard length BT-80 14" If not, what length did you use. I've been thinking about building an BT-80 Mosquito ever since I finished my US Rockets 2.2 Mosquito.

Vid here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U20f5wgUvdo

BAR
John

Just remember that your scale factor drives all measurements. Take the tube diameter of the original, divided into your upscale tube diameter. That is your scale factor. Body tubes, fins, nose cones all get scaled that much.

I am doing an upsale Orbital Transport, which was a BT-50 design (.976" dia.), and I'll use BT-60 (1.637" dia.). That gives a scale factor of 1.68 (1.637 / .976), so tubes are cut 1.68 times as long as the originals, nose cones are that much longer, etc.. For fins, get access to a photocopier that allows scaling, and in my case, I set it to enlarge by 1.68. Not all photocopiers are that exact, so measure the fin after scaling. For example, if the root length is X inches, the upscaled root edge should be 1.68X inches long. If needed bump the scaling up or down to get it closer.

What can get tricky is doing exact upscales (or downscales) with multiple body tube diameters. You cannot always find the correct tube sizes for the new scale. Sometimes you just have to roll your own, or make it "semi" upscale or downscale.

Very cool. I like the giant Mosquito rockets. The regular sized Mosquito was the first rocket I ever built. Unfortunately, I lost it last year. It went high, there was wind, never seen again...

I should get another one...

Doug

Very cool. I like the giant Mosquito rockets. The regular sized Mosquito was the first rocket I ever built. Unfortunately, I lost it last year. It went high, there was wind, never seen again...

I should get another one...

Doug

Thanks. I have always liked/loved the Mosquito too. I have a BT5, 20, 50, 60, and 80 version. It's just a cool yet simple rocket.

And yes...you should get another...:D

What length of tubing in inches did you use.
Read Lee's post above; with simple math, you can figure this out yourself or if you're going to do an upscale, choose the tube diameter you want to use and then you can figure out the scaling factor. The original is BT-5 (.544" OD) and it's 2" long.

If you're doing a BT-80, which is 2.6" OD, the math is:

2.6 / 0.544 = 4.779 (scaling factor: BT-80 OD divided by BT-5 OD)

2" x 4.779 = 9.56" (original BT length x scaling factor = upscaled body tube length)

Cool. I've always wanted a BT80 Mosquito, but I was too lazy to scratch build and bought a Madcow Mozzie. It'll be a Christmas present to myself. :p

That DOES look interesting..It begs to be made into a 24mm tho..80grams? Isn't that a tad much for 18mm motors?:dontknow: Just seems so to me...
It's well below the 113 gram maximum recommended liftoff weight for those motors.

I built a 2" Skeeter and lost it on the first launch (prior to taking a picture, of course :argh:). It was a beautiful flight on an E9-6 that ended up landing on the only building - and a small one at that - anywhere around.

I liked it so much, however, that I've got another in the works. :cool:

Back