Upscale Mosquito

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I have started work on my upscale mosquito based on BT80 BT. I'll use a Fat Boy nosecone as I can't afford a custom made one...it's close enough for me. The fins will be made from 3/32 basswood, the centering rings will be made from mat board, it will have an estes E size MMT with an engine hook, an 18" nylon parachute, 60" of 1/4" poly elastic for the shock cord.

A few questions:

1. I'm sure it is strong enough, but is 3/32 too thin for this project? Maybe 1/8...???

2. I want to use F reloads in this rocket and am leary of using mat board. I'm sure it's probably strong enough but then again I want to be positive of this. I could possibly layer two pieces with titebond II.

3. I'll use a 1/4 LL but I could use a 3/16 LL. Just an overkill issue.

Rocksim file and .jpg attached...

View attachment Mosquito - BT80 - 24mm.rkt

Mosquito - BT80 - 24mm.jpg

I have started work on my upscale mosquito based on BT80 BT. I'll use a Fat Boy nosecone as I can't afford a custom made one...it's close enough for me. The fins will be made from 3/32 basswood, the centering rings will be made from mat board, it will have an estes E size MMT with an engine hook, an 18" nylon parachute, 60" of 1/4" poly elastic for the shock cord.

A few questions:

1. I'm sure it is strong enough, but is 3/32 too thin for this project? Maybe 1/8...???

2. I want to use F reloads in this rocket and am leary of using mat board. I'm sure it's probably strong enough but then again I want to be positive of this. I could possibly layer two pieces with titebond II.

3. I'll use a 1/4 LL but I could use a 3/16 LL. Just an overkill issue.

Rocksim file and .jpg attached...

Just my opinions here, but I would:

1. use the 1/8 basswood. The mosquito fins are pretty long and extend a ways from the BT. It will be landing on the fins. Better safe then sorry, unless you want the highest flying mosquito in your neck of the woods.

2. I would double the mat board. It's easy and again safer, unless .... see reason #1

3. If you're staying with the 24mm MMT the the 3/16" LL should be OK, but if you put a 29mm MMT (which I think you should, you can always adapt down) then you might want to go with the 1/4"

You might want to use the BKP method. Build it, Kick it, Paint it. Build it, then use the biggest motor you can get into it for it's first flight, if you get it back, paint it.

Good Luck and have fun.

Just my opinions here, but I would:

1. use the 1/8 basswood. The mosquito fins are pretty long and extend a ways from the BT. It will be landing on the fins. Better safe then sorry, unless you want the highest flying mosquito in your neck of the woods.

2. I would double the mat board. It's easy and again safer, unless .... see reason #1

3. If you're staying with the 24mm MMT the the 3/16" LL should be OK, but if you put a 29mm MMT (which I think you should, you can always adapt down) then you might want to go with the 1/4"

You might want to use the BKP method. Build it, Kick it, Paint it. Build it, then use the biggest motor you can get into it for it's first flight, if you get it back, paint it.

Good Luck and have fun.

You're right...

I'll go with 1/8 for the fins and double up the CRs. I'm just going to stick with the 24mm MMT. I don't plan on seeing how high I can get this one. I just want to stick with slow and low with it. I can't wait to put a F blackjack load in it!!!

Back