A Different Fake Wulf...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, how did I miss this???!! Way too cool.
I'd also like to be there when you launch...you need an audience for this! How much for tickets?:p

P.S.>It would give me an excuse to finish my other Wulf.

Scott,

any chance you're going to launch this at the NARHAMS sport launch on 9/15?

I decided last month, Mt. Airy was a bit too far to go for a regular sport launch. But if Scott decides to show up with this, I'm going!

I can't promise it will fly at the 9/15 launch... I must test fly it first, have it work correctly, NOT have a cato AND be able to get that day off of work. I will try though.

Also, in response to a PM, the finished weight of JUST the glider is 6.9 oz.

I decided last month, Mt. Airy was a bit too far to go for a regular sport launch. But if Scott decides to show up with this, I'm going!
I've been looking for an excuse to go the the NARHAMS launch, as Mt. Airy is only about 20 minutes from my home. This would seal the deal. I'll bring my Fake Wulf too!

I was put on alert that I may have to push a button. But you never know, it may just be a drill and not the real thing. :)

kj

Here are some photos of the completed model… I am waiting on a lighter receiver before flying this Big Wulf. Finished weight is 10oz without the engine.

Scott, that looks fantastic, not surprisingly.

Um, you aren't married or seeing anyone right now, are you?;)

(That's not a proposition, btw, you just seem to have a lot of time to do cool stuff like this.)
:D

Sorry,
No test flights yet so no showing on the 15th:(. I was thinking about flying it today, but of course weeks and weeks of no rain, then it rains today.:rolleyes: I may still show up to the launch tomorrow, we'll see.;)

Well,
The big Wulf had her first test flight today. She flew on a "mighty-D" engine to an altitude of about 300 feet. A very stable boost just like its little sister and I fed in a little right aileron to see if she would rotate a little... She did. Ejection was smooth as silk. The glide was as I feared, a bit nose heavy. I WAS able to turn away from the trees and bring it back towards us (me and Zog43editor) which was my main goal. Unfortunately the steep glide made the nose dig in a bit and it flipped over on landing, cleanly popping the rudder off. Its a minor repair and now I just gotta find a lighter battery pack and adjust a few things before the next flight.

View attachment P1010068.JPG

Did this happened at the same "testing grounds" where I flew my Winter Cammo Fake Wulf? The same place it meet it's demise? Sorry about the crash. But knowing the kind of guy you are, you will have it operational in no time for a second flight. Good luck!!!

Did this happened at the same "testing grounds" where I flew my Winter Cammo Fake Wulf? The same place it meet it's demise? Sorry about the crash. But knowing the kind of guy you are, you will have it operational in no time for a second flight. Good luck!!!

Thanks Raul,
Yep, same field. It was not really a crash rather a rough landing. The model is already repaired and I think I've gotten a battery that will be half the weight of the first one. If that does not make enough of a difference I will put the batteries in the jet pod on the back.

Thanks Raul,
Yep, same field. It was not really a crash rather a rough landing. The model is already repaired and I think I've gotten a battery that will be half the weight of the first one. If that does not make enough of a difference I will put the batteries in the jet pod on the back.

Have you thought about doing some hand-tosses into some tall weeds? That seems to be the general advice for trimming RC gliders before putting them way up in the sky (or off the cliff, for those of us that prefer slope)

-Rick (who hasn't flown his Weasel-Pro since he left Santa Barbara *sniff* and misses the bluffs at ellwood with their vertical cliff and consistent winds)

Have you thought about doing some hand-tosses into some tall weeds? That seems to be the general advice for trimming RC gliders before putting them way up in the sky (or off the cliff, for those of us that prefer slope)

-Rick (who hasn't flown his Weasel-Pro since he left Santa Barbara *sniff* and misses the bluffs at ellwood with their vertical cliff and consistent winds)

True, but this design has proven time and time again to provide very little usefull information with hand tossing.

Here's a picture for you photo hounds.

kj

ps the _best_ part about this launch was Scott getting buzzed by some sort of wasp. Imagine any video you've ever seen of this that has been overdubbed with The Flight of the Bumble-bee.

scottpre-flight.jpg

ps the _best_ part about this launch was Scott getting buzzed by some sort of wasp. Imagine any video you've ever seen of this that has been overdubbed with The Flight of the Bumble-bee.

That was really the worst part of the day. EVERY time I went within 30 feet of the launch pad that stupid thing was all over me.:mad:

That is fantastic!! Are you going to make a kit to sell of this one too??:D

That is fantastic!! Are you going to make a kit to sell of this one too??:D

Sorry, no... It was REALLY a pain in the butt on several parts. I took all of the build pictures so someone else can try it if they want, but the cost and time of making this thing into a kit would be astronomical. If I ever own a blow molding machine, a vacu-former and a laser cutter it could happen... I'll just have to play lotto I guess:rolleyes:

I understand, Thanks anyway good luck on the Lotto:lucky:
Sorry, no... It was REALLY a pain in the butt on several parts. I took all of the build pictures so someone else can try it if they want, but the cost and time of making this thing into a kit would be astronomical. If I ever own a blow molding machine, a vacu-former and a laser cutter it could happen... I'll just have to play lotto I guess:rolleyes:

Update:
On the first and only flight of the Big Bad Fake Wulf it proved to be nose heavy. I had decided to try to alter and move the 16 gram battery pack from just towards the back of the canopy to inside the fake jet motor. Instead of the rechargeable pack, I decided to use single use lithium batteries which weighed half as much. Unfortunately this meant running wires outside the body which I hated to do and sort of pushed the project aside.

Recently while looking at the pile of returned micro-helis at my store I decided to cannibalize a bunch of them for their little Li-po batteries. Two of these cells and a voltage regulator (thanks Zog43editor) weighed in at only 5 grams. I have decided to use this battery combo and add a small amount of weight to the rear, probably about 6-8 grams, and give her another shot when the weather warms a bit.

I will post the results!:D

Ah, I remember it still needed some tweaking, I just couldn't remember what it was. When(if ;)) you get this dialed in, I'd love to see it fly in person. Any plans to do a non RC upscale?;) (possibly adding some RC conversion notes to the instructions)

Back