which 1/2 patriot?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titan

Reaction score
polecat or pml? I figure this winter would be a good time to build one and I will give my cert 2 a try low and slow:D anyways Ive built two pml kits and like their quality but the patriot is pretty pricey with the cpr and fiberglassed mainframe. Is the pml worth the extra money over the polecat?

btw Im not looking to scratch build at this time.

thanks, bob

Ben:
Maybe I've had too much wine, but I don't see any 40" 75mm motors...?!

I've built PML's 1/2 scale Patriot with the dual CPR and glass options. Its a great rocket. I have mine built with a 75mm motor mount and it flys great on AMW K600WW (slow liftoff to about 2500') and L700BB (faster liftoff, still under 3000') You could put an M into it, but if you do, its going over 6000' and over 600 mph. With a good job on the fillets, you could almost stand on the rocket and not have any issues.

-Aaron

I've built PML's 1/2 scale Patriot with the dual CPR and glass options. Its a great rocket. I have mine built with a 75mm motor mount and it flys great on AMW K600WW (slow liftoff to about 2500') and L700BB (faster liftoff, still under 3000') You could put an M into it, but if you do, its going over 6000' and over 600 mph. With a good job on the fillets, you could almost stand on the rocket and not have any issues.

-Aaron

forgot to add that, unless you hate finishing, I would go with the phenolic/glass version even if you don't do the 98mm MMT. If you do, I would really get phenolic it since this could get close to mach 1 on a 98mm M

Ben

forgot to add that, unless you hate finishing, I would go with the phenolic/glass version even if you don't do the 98mm MMT. If you do, I would really get phenolic it since this could get close to mach 1 on a 98mm M

Ben

The 1/2 scale patriot by PML is only offered in phenolic. QT is only used in kits up to 4" diameter.

It would go near mach regardless if its a 75mm M motor or a 98mm M motor.

-Aaron

The 1/2 scale patriot by PML is only offered in phenolic. QT is only used in kits up to 4" diameter.

It would go near mach regardless if its a 75mm M motor or a 98mm M motor.

-Aaron

thats right. I thought they now had QT in all sizes. MY BAD!

Ben

-Aaron

any pics:D

There are M reloads for the AMW hardware that are 40 inches long. I wouldn't use one in my PML Patriot unless I had a very large recovery area because a M reload of that size in a PML Patriot will send it near 2 miles up and beyond mach.

Just because it has room for an M doesn't mean it should be flown on an M. It does quite well on a K and I'm sure it'll do just great on an L.

-Aaron

Thanks just the same, but I couldn't find motor lengths on this site, Ben; however, I did find this:
https://www.astralisrocketry.com/Product_Onyx.html
This is an attractive price... has anyone bought from this place before?

Bob,

I have purchased several LOC kits from David. He is a member of CATO so we get them hand delivered to the launch sites! I have never had a problem dealing with him, and maybe not to important for you, but for me dealing with David is like buying kits with living instructions!

BTW, I purchased the Onyx from him and it is a spectacular performer on G71Rs and G64Ws. Just make sure you have a couple of sets of eyes on it. I lost mine at NERRF3 standing next to Barry! We both watched a great boost, then it just up and evaporated! Cert'ed on a Minnie Magg from David at NERRF3 and have a HyperLOC-835 on the bench right now.

Tom & Mags

Bob,

I have purchased several LOC kits from David. He is a member of CATO so we get them hand delivered to the launch sites! I have never had a problem dealing with him, and maybe not to important for you, but for me dealing with David is like buying kits with living instructions!

BTW, I purchased the Onyx from him and it is a spectacular performer on G71Rs and G64Ws. Just make sure you have a couple of sets of eyes on it. I lost mine at NERRF3 standing next to Barry! We both watched a great boost, then it just up and evaporated! Cert'ed on a Minnie Magg from David at NERRF3 and have a HyperLOC-835 on the bench right now.

Tom & Mags

Do you think he would ever sell parts?

The Polecat kit is pre-glassed and is super light weight, so you could fly it on an I if you wanted to. No joke. Plus it's a simple build, and I think comes dual deploy ready.

If you want to do a cluster, Andy will special make centering rings for you. Just ask.

back on topic anymore thoughts or build pics from pml or polecat owners?

thanks!

The Polecat kit is pre-glassed and is super light weight, so you could fly it on an I if you wanted to. No joke. Plus it's a simple build, and I think comes dual deploy ready.

If you want to do a cluster, Andy will special make centering rings for you. Just ask.

Andy is a great guy! I would like to give hime my business, I just want to make sure the quality is as good as pml

I built and flew the PML 1/2 Patriot and it is a great product / bird. If you go with 3-tube dual deploy, I recommend extending the upper tube by about 10". It helps to fit the larger parachutes you'll need.

See my website below (in my signature), Photos #3 for photos and videos of flight....

I built and flew the PML 1/2 Patriot and it is a great product / bird. If you go with 3-tube dual deploy, I recommend extending the upper tube by about 10". It helps to fit the larger parachutes you'll need.

See my website below (in my signature), Photos #3 for photos and videos of flight....

David are you going to pine Island in a few weeks for the scheduled launch?

if so maybe I can bend your ear a little:D

To dpoceta and mr_fixit...
Thanks for the posts.
I exchanged emails with David - nice guy. -BB

No build pics on mine, but I agree that you should either alter the location of the e-bay or(like I did with mine) just flip it entirely. There is more room in the nosecone and upper section for the larger main parachute and just about the right size for the drogue.

-Aaron

I do plan to be at METRA / Pine Island Sept 8.

I forgot to mention, if you want a guide to my L3 PML 1/2 Patriot, also on my website under the InfoBase / Certification section, is a lengthy book including detailed description and photos of the rocket. It's my L3 proposal....

Thanks just the same, but I couldn't find motor lengths on this site, Ben; however, I did find this:
https://www.astralisrocketry.com/Product_Onyx.html
This is an attractive price... has anyone bought from this place before?

Balsa Bob

If you're interested in what's in stock (website is slightly out of date) let me know. The prices are aggressive and the service is A-1. I'm not in the business of selling rockets full time. I do it out of my passion for the hobby.

In stock now: Aura, Cool Spool, Weasel, Legacy, Vulcanite, Nuke Pro Maxx, Lil' Nuke, HyperLOC-300, LOCIV, ViperIV. Prices are very aggressive (could be better than website). I need to clean stock to make an order before Christmas.

Back