=scale= Nike-Ajax photos?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderburner

Reaction score
I made a little 'discovery' this past weekend during a road trip. There is a Nike-Ajax perched on its tail by the side of the road in Burnet, Texas. While it is not painted in any authentic scheme, at least it appears to be accessible for pix of detail features and scale measurements. Didn't stop on this trip due to schedule and weather, but now that I know it's there I am gonna have to make plans.

My qstn to you guys: are there any requests out there for photos or measurements that I might be able to provide? (This thing is sitting still, so I ought to be able to get a picture with my digital cam.) I realize this missile design has been around about as long as I have (yes, save your posts, it's old) and has probably already been covered by gobs of data hounds, but just in case anyone is looking for more...

It looks like we will be making this drive every so often for the next four years (daughter now in school in San Antonio) so I expect to be able to stop and see it once in a while. Post your reqsts and I will see what I can do. I will be checking it over 'up close' on my next trip.

Good find. To whom does it belong/whose property is it on? I've seen something like this near me; there is I believe an American Legion post near me that has a shell of a target drone. I've been meaning to get close enough to it to look it over and ID it.

I'm definitely interested in more scale pictures and data for the Nike Ajax, as I'd like to build one myself.

Earlier in the year, I went to visit some relatives in Germany. One of them took me to several museums with missiles and aircraft, and I intend to build a model of at least one missile from each museum. The Nike Ajax is on the list.

Which is why I took these...

071ajax_hercules2.jpg

073ajax_fins1.jpg

074ajax_fins2.jpg

075ajax_fins3.jpg

076ajax_insignia.jpg

Back