How fast have you gone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghost

Reaction score
I liked the "How High Have You Gone" thread, so here's a similar one :p

And please... post pictures!!!

Where is the speed of light option...(?) Cause I warped it and I've got pics!

How fast have I gone?
0.1954985422741 Mach in the Quarter Mile (not my car).
9.15sec @ 150.68mph
-----------------
Now for a serious question. What would be the best way to measure speed of a model rocket?
For me this means LPR-comercial BP motors. Are there small enough electronics to make this feaseable?

Just a quick note of reference, your speeds listed for Mach aren't necessarily accurate. If you launch in say, Colorado as compared to say, California, the speed required to go Mach is going to be different due to different air thicknesses, environment, etc.

That's all I've got.

well, I'll be the first post that actually answers the question :p
My latest flight reached mach 1.3.... or roughly a million miles per hour.

That M flight only hit M1.3? I would have guessed faster...

Surprising - in that case, I've gone a bit faster than you.
I've gone around 1100mph, or about mach 1.5 :)

Quarter mile straight up in 1.18 seconds at 1050mph :D

Just a quick note of reference, your speeds listed for Mach aren't necessarily accurate. If you launch in say, Colorado as compared to say, California, the speed required to go Mach is going to be different due to different air thicknesses, environment, etc.

That's all I've got.

Darn Google calculator :p

I know I've broken mach with my 54mm minimum diameter rocket Whiplash on a K725 Wimpy Red.

Here is link to a pic of taping the igniter into place.
https://www.employees.org/~cls/rockets/aeronaut-2007/Img_6688.html

And another of me hooking up the igniter leads.
https://www.employees.org/~cls/rockets/aeronaut-2007/Img_6689.html

Here is a pic of Whiplash on a it's first flight on a H148R.
475742068_d9aa95f8aa_b.jpg

That M flight only hit M1.3? I would have guessed faster...

Surprising - in that case, I've gone a bit faster than you.
I've gone around 1100mph, or about mach 1.5 :)

Quarter mile straight up in 1.18 seconds at 1050mph :D

I couldn't remember the exact speed, and I don't have the software on this computer to check the altimeter readings.... but that was the sim for a motor with roughly the same impulse and burn time. I remember the flight turning out very similar to, if not slightly better than the sims, so I'll go with that number until I can check it again. :)

It has been a while since I have taped an igniter in place with masking tape (or any other tape)...the last time I did, the rocket carried the igniter leads up a good piece before the tape let loose...burning the wires and clips of the leads in the exhaust on its way up...and the leads weren't mine. Needless to say, that pad was shut down till they were repaired.

Nice looking rocket there, and I'm a sucker for a Red flame myself!

Johnnie

It has been a while since I have taped an igniter in place with masking tape (or any other tape)...the last time I did, the rocket carried the igniter leads up a good piece before the tape let loose...burning the wires and clips of the leads in the exhaust on its way up...and the leads weren't mine. Needless to say, that pad was shut down till they were repaired.

Nice looking rocket there, and I'm a sucker for a Red flame myself!

Johnnie

I end up loosing the tape up. If you look at the second pic how the tape is peeled back. Need less to say everything worked perfect. Thanks Johnie.

well i have gone faster, but never got there quite so fast as with a relatively light 38mm rocket on an H999. Sims suggest hitting M1 at about .27 second, 120' off the ground or so. I'm sure someone else has gotten to M1 faster but can't have been by too much. And I have another reload which I plan on trying in a shorter, lighter rocket with accelerometers on board later this fall.
;)
JS
see https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=26676&highlight=h1000
Pics are by CJL's dad, Ray, whose rocket pics have made quite a splash.

600 mph with a modified estes eliminator(maniac) on a rr g80.
unfortunately all the fins sheared off at around 500'

I'm going to try glassing the fins next round

well i have gone faster, but never got there quite so fast as with a relatively light 38mm rocket on an H999. Sims suggest hitting M1 at about .27 second, 120' off the ground or so. I'm sure someone else has gotten to M1 faster but can't have been by too much. And I have another reload which I plan on trying in a shorter, lighter rocket with accelerometers on board later this fall.
;)
JS
see https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=26676&highlight=h1000
Pics are by CJL's dad, Ray, whose rocket pics have made quite a splash.
Yep - you did beat me in accel there :)

I hit mach in 0.635 seconds, at an altitude of 350 feet.

:eek: oops :eek: .....I voted for how fast I personally have gone....after all this is the Coffee House.

Now if I vote for how fast my last rocket went, it was a bit less than 17,000 MPH before deploying it's spacecraft.

As far as my models.....my last Delta IV Scale clocked in at whopping 112.5 MPH (max) using 1 E9-4 and 4 B6-4 SRMs.

Awesome replies! I see someone has gone hypersonic... and I want pics!

680 knots in a T38 Talon was my personal best. Even got my hand on the stick for a minute or so. During AFROTC boot camp in college. :)

How fast have my rockets gone? Nothing to brag about, roughly mach 1.3.

How fast have I gone (you did say "you")?

About 182mph on land before having to brake.

Won't quite touch Hotrod Lincoln's driven car in the quarter though. :surprised: Maybe when I get some bigger turbos. :lol:

Got a additional question.
how fast have you had one come in ballistic??

I might have that one??
back in 1995 the "Our" project was calculated to have gone in at over mach 1.6!!
10" dia rocket liquified a 30' dia hole in the ROCK Hard plyer of the Black Rock desert.
frank Kosdon did some math and estimated it went down aprox 75'+.
We have the gps #'s anybody want to go mining:)
Just an old tid bit.
Thanks Paul

Got a additional question.
how fast have you had one come in ballistic??

I might have that one??
back in 1995 the "Our" project was calculated to have gone in at over mach 1.6!!
10" dia rocket liquified a 30' dia hole in the ROCK Hard plyer of the Black Rock desert.
frank Kosdon did some math and estimated it went down aprox 75'+.
We have the gps #'s anybody want to go mining:)
Just an old tid bit.
Thanks Paul

Hi Paul. How ya been, and good to see ya still around!!
trying to remember what it was a member of the ouR project told me, (might have even been you Paul) Something to do with digging by hand and then using an excavator or a backhoe and still not being able to reach it..Hey Paul where can I find the Video of the on board of the flight? Remember it being on a DVD or something.

Thanks

Conway

Not sure what the fastest incoming was but my best upward flight was Mach 2.2. Small rocket BIG motor. An AMW motor infact.

Point 39 productions
John Cagal?? From Ga. has all the fottage.
Thanks Paul

That sounds a bit optimistic--take a 3" min diameter rocket that weighs 50 lbs and has a supersonic Cd of 0.5, using the easily derived term. velocity eqn

sqrt((2*m*g)/(Cd*area*pho)) gives a Vt of M1.13M; still hauling mind you, but to get to M1.6, the rocket in this case would have had to weigh 100lbs or so. ????
Be curious on the details of said flight.

Denverdoc;

The rocket was 21' long, 10.35" dia and weighed 660lbs @ lift off.
285lbs of propellant, aprox R -20,000. 15 second burn time. Propellant ISP aprox 205.
It had a balistic re entry from over 100k'( we only had a 100k ceiling:)
one estamate put alt. @ 123k+ feet?
The rocket at impact weighed aprox, #370

I think that is over 100lbs:)))

Mind you that was one persons estamate.
The nose cone was 5/1 conical.

3 fins with 15"cord , 18" root, and a 3" sweep= 12" at the end.

All cut with a nice 3" diamond foil. max thickness was .25 at the core, and a .020 leading edge.

So given that info, how about a second opinion?? I realize it can only be an estamate...
Thanks Paul

John,

As I know the project and the participants in the ouR project im pretty sure that Paul is correct or that the estimates are fairly close by those that made them.

Conway

Well, I can't know the exact details on air density, but assuming a cd of 0.6, that puts it at between M0.9 and M1.3 at impact if it was at terminal velocity. It could have been above terminal velocity however, as it would have fallen faster through the thinner air at high altitudes. It's hard to know for sure, but it was probably supersonic.

Back