What is the best kind of paint to use to get that perfect finish??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCoutlaw88

Reaction score
I can never seem to get that finish i want. ususally i buy krylon spray paint and i use krylon primer before applying the paint. but is there a better paint out there or even a cheaper one that does the same thing?? and are there any special techniques i need to know as far as applying the paint? (distance from rocket, # of coats, sanding?)

OK, I think I get to say this first this time........THIS subject has been covered quite a few times in this forum.

hey im new to rocketry kind of i need help from u experts ok

He means just do a search on "paint", it is a topic discussed often and at length around here.

Just to summarize, Krylon Enamel rattlecan is just fine, many many people use it and you can get a "perfect" paint job with it.

ok so i can continue using krylon but how many coats should i use? and should i do any sanding?

It's not the paint:
It's the technique and experience. Anyone and EVERYONE can produce nearly perfect finishes from Spray can applied paints with proper technique, practice and just a little experience.
I've been preaching this for so long it absurd. download Tech-tips 002-005 from www.narhams.org library. with a little practice you'll be fine;)

Ps; I'll say this again cause it's so very true:
Their is absolutely NOTHING on this earth that is or ever will be Perfect. To strive for perfection is fine, just don't be to overly obsessive about it. If your anything like many of us, you'll Never be completely pleased with your finished products. That my friend is LIFE;) Remember this is supposed to be fun:)

The perfect paint job? Do you want to fly your rocket or display it? I have built plastic airliners for years and let me tell you, it takes a lot of time and skill to get a perfect finish.......When I build my airliners I use automotive spray cans because of the wide choice of colors. There is a lot of sanding and buffing involved, followed by future finish. I would never do this much work for a model rocket. Just seal the balsa smooth and spray 2 coats of primer with sanding in between. Then apply 2 to 3 light coats of finish paint. The Krylon works great, that is all I ever use to paint my rockets. If you are looking for the perfect finish, you may be disappointed. Just concentrate on finishing each rocket before moving on to the next rocket, no matter how bad the paint. After time you will get the "feel" and be happy with the results. Just don't give up, practice makes perfect. Good luck and have fun.:eek:

I use different brands of spray paint, at different times... I've had some that I'd never use again, and some that I absolutely love...

Plasticoat gives a really nice finish, for me... but I've seen it come out pretty bad for some friends...

The best advice I have for spray paint, if you are really wanting to do your best... put on layers very thin, and slowly... letting it dry in between... many of my rockets never get around to getting painted, because I like to take my time, and it ends up taking more than one day for a single rocket... :lol:

Its actually better to judge a rocket's paint job from at least 10 feet away. This way, it always looks "perfect" no matter the quality of the paint job.

Also, the success of the rocket launch / recovery is in indirect proportion to the quality of the paint job and finishing. The better your paint job, the less likely it will be that you will recover your rocket intact.

I second everything eastvolt just said. I'm seriously considering not painting my rockets anymore. couple coats of primer with sanding in between and done. grey is the new black. ;)

that said, I think the single most important tool you need for painting with spray cans: patience. try to rush it and it's gonna go bad.

I'm feeling the pain with the painting too. I have 6 rockets built waiting for paint and a launch on Saturday. :rolleyes:

yea it would be so much easier if all rockets came pre-colored or if you could order them online with the colors you wanted on them. so then all you have to worry about is building it.

Back