23rd June 2010, 07:52 PM
I tried the built-up fillet technique. Pictures are attached.
For a first try I was very happy with the results. Like any new technique, it'll take a few tries to get it right.
I used the Carpenter's Wood Filler and thin CA to build up the fillets. I mixed the filler thicker (than I normally would for balsa grain filling) for the fillets. I didn't use the JB weld as the fillets weren't as wide and I didn't think it would need it to raise the height of the filler.
To compare the two, the upper fin (to the right) is a standard white glue fillet, the fin to the left is the built up fillet.
This is not the final finish for the model. I gave the fins a shot of white paint just to see the results.
Before anybody chimes in to remind me that these fillets aren't true scale on the Phoenix, I'm not concerned. I built this model to learn a new technique and I'm not going to enter it in any scale competitions.
Bradycross - Thanks for the great fillet idea!
Last edited by hcmbanjo; 23rd June 2010 at 08:01 PM.