Atlantis trailing ISS and Earthshine

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snede2112

Reaction score
For those of you who missed it here is a picture I snapped about an hour ago of the shuttle Atlantis trailing the internation space station.

Attachments

• atlantis trailing iss.jpg
    atlantis trailing iss.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 7
And this is the moon w/ a faster exposure. The eartshine was visible w/ the naked eye though.

moon_1.jpg

Originally posted by snede2112
And this is the moon w/ a faster exposure. The eartshine was visible w/ the naked eye though.
great shots snede. I would like to say one is a favourite but i like them all. We are too far north to see the ISS though :(
Cheers
Fred

Nice,
The ISS some times comes to my area,
but I never see it because it usually passes at 3 in the morning.:( :D

Thanks for posting the pictures. I would've been able to see the ISS and Atlantis, but I'm in California visiting some cousins.:)

Eric,

Good picture of the Shuttle and ISS. How long was the exposure on this picture?

Dave

Awesome pictures Eric! Was totally overcast here last night so I got to see nothing..well it became PARTLY cloudy at about 2am.....

What brand and model of camera did you use to photograph the moon? When I use my point and shoot camera (Kodak DX6440), I get a small dot even when zooming in all the way.

Originally posted by DaveHein
Eric,

Good picture of the Shuttle and ISS. How long was the exposure on this picture?

Dave

Thanks,
It was a 2.5 second exposure with a high ISO I think 400.

Originally posted by bigone5500
What brand and model of camera did you use to photograph the moon? When I use my point and shoot camera (Kodak DX6440), I get a small dot even when zooming in all the way.
I have a Canon S3IS. Its 6 megapixel with 12x optical zoom. The moon is a bright subject so all I do is use the manual focus, zoom all the way in (I never use the digital zoom) and focus to infinity. I used 1/60 shutter speed, leaned against the house for stability and snapped. I was just messing around so I didn't set the white balance and that is why its a little brownish. Its a bit overexposed too. I probably should have used an even faster shutter setting.

In case anyone is interested in doing this type of photography my buddy Joe Orman put together an exposure table specifically for it. It was intended to be used with film but is still useful for digital. Just follow the link.

Joe Orman's Twilight Exposure Table

Wish I'd thought to go have a look! I knew the Atlantis' commander in the Marines...

Originally posted by Micromeister
What a fine inspiring thing to watch! The better 2/3rds and I got to watch them trek across the sky last night, Oh, how it make the mind wonder;)

Aye, we saw the two track across the sky in Chicago on Wednesday night. There were concerns that there'd be cloud cover, but it was clear, and a very cool sight.

Back