"Big Daddy" Akavish

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
My wife, Bracha, and I debuted our "Big Daddy" Akavish at the NEFAR launch yesterday. "Big Daddy" is an upscale of the spider-themed rockets we've built and flown over the past few years.

Big-Daddy-Akavish

The new Akavish is over three feet tall and weighs about 10 pounds. His little cousin in the photo above is about 18" tall and weighs about 10 ounces.

The big Akavish is the rocket I was talking about in the "Building a Boat in the Basement" thread in The Coffee House fourm. It barely fits through the doors in our house and I had to remove a cargo tray from the back of our van to fit the Akavish in the van.

The head of the new Akavish was made from a hollow foam ball covered with fiberglass. Inside is a 38mm motor mount, parachute, and altimeter.

akavish-launch3

The rocket is covered with black and silver fur. We launched it on an Aerotech I154J motor. It took a couple of seconds for the motor to come up to power then the rocket began to rise. It left a thick trail of black smoke as it when straight up. At apogee, it began to arch over and the parachute deployed. Then the Akavish floated safely to the ground. According to the altimeter, the rocket reached an altitude of 376 feet!

Additional photographs of the Akavish are at:

https://www.payloadbay.com/gallery/v/nefar-launches/2007-06-09/2007-06-09+NEFAR+Launch+015.jpg.html

-- Roger

Originally posted by Loopy
Awesome! Man, that looks great!

Thanks ....

BTW, my RockSim simulation of the big Akavish went over 1000' on the I154 motor. The real thing reached just 376'. Obviously, I need to make some changes to the model. :)

For the next launch, I'd like to fly it on an I211W motor. The long white flame should be impressive and the motor will be able to get it up a little higher.

Also, I'll use a longer stand-off on the launch pad so the blast is less likely to hit the legs of the rocket. I didn't see any evidence on the rocket of that happening after this first launch, but in the photos you can see that the smoke comes out right below the rocket's "head" where the blast deflector was located.

-- Roger

Congrats Bracha and Roger !

That is one awesome creation,
I gotta make it over to NEFAR to see him go...

He seems to be begging for AMW I315 Skidmark
to play with... :D :p

Am I the only one hearing the Sesame Street theme while looking at these rockets? What a hoot. Great idea.

That thing would scare the crud out of me at night, sitting in a dark hallway, near a toilet!;)

Originally posted by akpilot
That thing would scare the crud out of me at night, sitting in a dark hallway, near a toilet!;)

Oh, did I mention where we've been storing it? :)

-- Roger

I was lucky enough to see that flight at NEFAR and it was an excellent flight. It is pretty cool to see how part of the head pops off to release the parachute.

Marc

Originally posted by jadebox
Thanks ....

...snip...
For the next launch, I'd like to fly it on an I211W motor. The long white flame should be impressive and the motor will be able to get it up a little higher.
...snip...

-- Roger

:cool: Great looking flight as always Roger.:cool:

I hope to see it the next ROCK or NEFAR launch.

FYI: I now have another car avail (#2 son home from college)...my wife has the SUV on Saturdays...that Miata was not designed for the Rocketry Hobby :(

Originally posted by cliveroonie
Am I the only one hearing the Sesame Street theme while looking at these rockets? What a hoot. Great idea.

First thing I thought when I looked at the smaller of the two was "Grover".:D

Man, that's just really fun!

You should try one with a K185.. I bet that would be a really fun flight!

Originally posted by Fishhead
First thing I thought when I looked at the smaller of the two was "Grover".:D

The little Akavish suffered some damage back in March when a motor decided to burn through the wrong end.

I cut off the melted foam ball and replaced it. Bracha then redecorated the Akavish and, at the launch site, added the new bulging eyes. She painted the pupils (irises?) using a Sharpie.

In addition to flying the "Big Daddy", we flew the re-built Akavsh at the June NEFAR launch. It used a G motor:

-- Roger

Originally posted by jadebox
Additional photographs of the Akavish are at:

https://www.payloadbay.com/gallery/...ect link to more photos is above. -- Roger

Here's a video of the first flight of the "Big Daddy Akavish":

-- Roger

I Had chores to do that morning, so I missed it in person. I like Rob in the background saying it didn't crash.

Congrats

Mark

That was a beautiful flight! I'd love to see that bad boy up close and personal!

Originally posted by ounderfla69
I Had chores to do that morning, so I missed it in person. I like Rob in the background saying it didn't crash.

Robb, by the way, is the one who left the casing out when assembling a motor once which resulted in a spectacular meltdown on the pad. So, he's one to talk! :)

-- Roger

Nice launch video! Somehow the music was very appropriate for it too! Cool!:cool:

He seems to be begging for AMW I315 Skidmark
to play with... :D :p

Hehehe something tells me you would have a flaming spider using a Skid considered its covered in fur... And other than the fact you might burn your creation up it would be one wild and crazy flight if it did catch on fire...

Anyway that is very cool, you got me wanting to build one :)

Hehehe something tells me you would have a flaming spider using a Skid considered its covered in fur... And other than the fact you might burn your creation up it would be one wild and crazy flight if it did catch on fire...

I don't think there would be any problem using a sparky motor. The exhaust and the sparks shouldn't get too close the "legs" of the spider. But I don't think I'll be trying it any time soon.

I am, however, hoping to try a little bigger motor for the next flight - 376 feet just isn't very impressive. The rocket turned out much heavier than I had planned. I'm thinking a 54mm motor mount might have been a good idea. :)

-- Roger

well what i was thinking about is the up-spray of the sparks when the exhaust hits the blast deflector (or ground).. But your probably right it wouldnt do anything, the legs do look fairly out of teh way...

And yeah I know what you mean about the 54mm MMT, i kind of wish i had decided on 54mm for my upscale guardian im working on, it sure would make going with dual deploy a lot easier and still be able to launch it as a Level 2 rocket when the time comes.. As i always say, hindsight is 20/20

well what i was thinking about is the up-spray of the sparks when the exhaust hits the blast deflector (or ground).. But your probably right it wouldnt do anything, the legs do look fairly out of the way...

I'm a little concerned about that, too, and will make sure the blast deflector is further below the motor for the next launch.

-- Roger

Rodger & Bracha,

Great video, and love the new "big Daddy" spider! One of my Fav's.

Cheers, Bruce

I was there for the Big Daddy Akavish flight, very impressive. One of the most creative rockets I have seen fly in a while...

You also helped convince some newbies of the fact that we (rocket folks) are all nuts... ;-)

ScottM

Back