My home-made launch pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SynergyAero

Reaction score
Many of you have asked me about the launch pad you see in my launch photos. This is something I built from scratch. It has folding legs, and a removable "1515" series launch rail with adjustable inclination. The pad is made entirely from aluminum, with the exception of the steel blast deflector. The launch rail accepts Public Missiles "Large Linear Launch Rail Lugs" part number LRL-15-2 or LRL-15-6. It will also work with the larger rail buttons from various manufacturers.

Since you wanted to know how to make one, I am starting this thread!

Here is a photo...

rocketonpad.jpg

It is made almost entirely out of 80/20, Inc. parts (the guys who manufacture most of the launch rails we use). I bought the bulk extrusions (launch rails) from 80/20's E-Bay store . Here, they sell "scratch and dent" pieces at discounted pricing. You can check the item details to see if the flaws are merely cosmetic, or if there are more serious flaws. I picked out pieces that had slight scratches, or were odd lengths.

Pieces which I could not find on the E-Bay store, I was able to order new, from one of 80/20's distributors, HPE Automation.

Here is a complete parts list for making this launch pad, as well as the sources from which I acquired the parts:

(3) 8020inc T-slot aluminum extrusions, 1515 series, approx. 8' length each (E-Bay store)
These make the launch rail, the four legs, and a small piece used to fasten the pivot assembly to the base.

(2) 8020inc T-slot aluminum extrusions, 1010 series, approx 6' total length (E-Bay store)
These are cut up to make the frame which bolts to the underside of, and reinforces the 8-sided aluminum base.

(1) 8020inc. Pivot Assembly, part# 4453 (HPE Automation)
This is the assembly which sits atop the aluminum base. It includes the two clamping handles, as well as the "nub" to which the launch rail is attached.

(4) 8020inc. Hinges, part# 4321 (HPE Automation)
These are the complete hinge assemblies which are bolted to the underside of the aluminum base. They each include a nub, to which you attach each leg.

(4) 8020inc. 0deg. Living Nubs, part# 4381 (HPE Automation)
These extra "nubs" go on the end of each leg. They are not absolutely necessary, but they do give the leg a nice finished look. They also prevent dirt from getting stuck in the legs, which then falls out onto your nice white rug as you drag the launch pad through your house!

(1) Custom 8-sided aluminum base, 1/4" thick (Local metal shop)
I had this piece machined by a local shop, then I drilled and tapped the holes myself.

(1) Custom 15" x 15" steel plate, 1/4" thick (Local metal shop)
Again I had this piece cut, but drilled the holes myself

(1) Extra large right angle bracket (Home Depot or Lowe's)
This bracket attaches to the launch rail with t-nuts and bolts/washers. Then attaches to the steel deflector with nuts/bolts/washers.

You will also need an assortment of T-nuts from 80/20, both for 1010 series rail, as well as 1515 series. T-nuts slide into the rail channel and are threaded for a specific type of bolt. These allow you to join the rails to each other and to other items.

Last but not least, from your local hardware store, you will need an assortment of bolts, washers, and nuts. I used stainless steel for mine, to resist the elements.

Aside from common hand tools, I used a cordless drill, a DeWalt compound miter saw, a non-ferrous metal blade, and a tap set for tapping the various holes.

More info to come...

Ok, here are the original "CAD" drawings I made, from which I constructed the paunch pad...

launchpaddiagram1.jpg

launchpaddiagram2.jpg

launchpaddiagramtop.jpg

launchpaddiagrambottom.jpg

And the dimensions of the custom made aluminum base:

launchpaddiagrambase.jpg

More detailed actual photos to come....

Ok, I hope that helps explain how I made it! Any questions, just ask!

Thanks,
Cris

That is one mighty fine looking launch pad. Looks like something I'd design for one of my engineering projects! Well done.

I love ye pad sir. Hope you make it out to every launch since we didn't have room in the trailor.

Thanks =) Niki and I should be at most of them. I take it I know you from the launches, but I dont recognize your screenname?

Cris

Super nice Launcher Chris !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When could you find the time to build another ?
You got something special there.
I'm interested in one,prototype or second one off the line.
Give me a shout back

Very nice layout - we have been wondering if anyone would pay for a built one - I like the plan!

ps

Nice rocket

Really nice pad! Do you know what the total $ was for the parts? About how much does it weigh?

Loc, thanks... I thought you might like the rocket! Hehe

SwingWing, Thanks =) As far as total cost, lets just say that building this pad definately did NOT save me any money!!

I started buying a few pieces of rail for about $140, which was ok. Then I realized that 8020 had a couple cool parts I could use to allow the rail to swing down (the pivot assembly). Then I added the hinges for the legs... by time I finished, I realized I had almost $600 in parts (including a metal blade for my saw and a couple taps) into this project!

Had I known up front that it would cost this much, I probably would have just sharpened one end and hammered my launch rail into the ground!! But its a really cool looking pad and works very well, so I am glad I ended up building it.

Well Done!!!

But you scared me with the price a little...it sounds like one of my cheap projects - at least that is always how they start...a few power tools later and I have it just about done...good news is - I always find a use for the power tools.

Thanks for posting and for sharing the plans.

Originally posted by Hogan3276
Well Done!!!

But you scared me with the price a little...it sounds like one of my cheap projects - at least that is always how they start...a few power tools later and I have it just about done...good news is - I always find a use for the power tools.

Thanks for posting and for sharing the plans.
It's not a REAL project unless it justifies the acquisition of of a new tool or two! :D

Now that's the spirit!!!

"Not a REAL project..."

Maybe I can use that one on my wife....think she'll go for it?

BRAVO !!!!!

This is definitely going to be my NEXT build project, after NSL.

BTW, any one from TRF who is at NSL, stop by the SCAM tent (the one with the 6x ACME Spitfire) and say "Hello".

Mike

Cool :D If you do build one, please post photos, as I'd be very interested to see how someone else's (version 2) turns out!

Question... if I wanted to add an extension to the launch rail, is there a good way to do so, keeping everything aligned in order to avoide any binding as the rocket slides up the rail?

Cris

Now THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is a Launch! pad! man she's a Beauty! Excellent Work. Also what a field Huh? I'd give anything to be on that right Now as here in CT its 18 Below! Zero with the Wind Chill Boooo.

Gary,

Thank-you for the compliments on the launch pad!

Yes this field that we use (Tripoli West Palm Beach) is awesome. It is a sod farm, so there's always beautiful green, manicured, laser-level grass everywhere you look! (And no rocket-eating trees!)

I know you are a long ways away, but maybe you could make it down for our "Florida Winter Nationals" on February 16, 17, and 18th. Its a terriffic 3-day event, and we get rocket enthusiasts from all over the country, and world for that matter! I've seen folks from Italy, Austrailia, England, etc.

Nice chance for a little Florida sunshine, Rocketry, and great people!

Check out the website for more info...

Florida Winter Nats 2008

Cris

Thanks, Mike. I didn't know Giant Leap offered those parts, but I was looking through the 80/20 catalog (mfr. of the 1515 series aluminum extrusions we use as rails) a few weeks ago, and I found just that! (3) 4-hole joiner plates, and I picked up a "surplus" 4' rail from their e-bay store.

Back