TARC results are out: Newark Memorial High School wins top honors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddmobley

Reaction score
The 2007 Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC) is officially in the record books and the top honors go to the Newark Memorial High School team of Newark, California. For their efforts, the Newark team won $10,500 in cash for the team members as well as $1,000 for their school.

In addition to the cash awards, the Newark team will also attend the June Paris Air Show as VIP guests of the Raytheon Corporation. The Newark team flew a cluster of three D12-7 Estes motors for an altitude of 851 feet with a duration of 44.14 seconds, scoring a phenomenal 1.86, almost half of the second place team's score. This is the fourth year the Newark team flew in the TARC finals.

If anyone is interested in the Top 100, they are posted here:

https://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/1868/28/

My son and I attended TARC for the first time. It was an amazing event. Just the leaders of rocketry and government who were there was amazing.

Trip Barber should be commended for a fabulous coordination of a difficult event.

I came away impressed by the work ethic of the kids, the discipline invoked by the range crew and the determination of the kids. That trip to the Paris Air Show for the winners was a fabulous hidden perk. Money will be spent, but an experience can't be bought.

A tip of the cap to the entire NAR crew for a job well done, and to the kids for their competitive and inventive spirit.

Chuck

As Chuck said the event is a high point of the year.

I was a range crew volunteer this year and last year. In addition I have been a mentor for three years. I encourage each an every one of you who have the time to do so to give your time.

Being a mentor is a serious commitment and for the work, you get the pleasure of working with some great young folks.

Being range crew is just an all around great feeling.

Three of us from CT (Patrick McConnell - PKMDOTCOM, Dave Greenapple - DGREENAPPLE, and myself) made the 6 hour drive and would easily plan to do it next year.

The rocketry community owes a tip of the hat to Trip Barber for his leadership in making TARC a reality.

By the way, Chuck Rudy, Bob, Utley and the gang from Rockets Magazine will be producing a DVD. I am sure it will be a must-add to your collection.

Back