Space 1999 Eagle Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John, I just got the box back(with the astros) returned to me .
Send me your address via PM. When I was mailing it the USPS said the zip was wrong.
Mark

Snuggles,

Sent you a PM.

Progress has been slow. Two of the three body sections have been fiberglassed. The motor mount shrouds have been cut and fitted. Time to get to work. Toyed with this being an L1 attempt. I'll see how the weight comes out.

John

Egregious bump.

I've recieved some astronauts from Snuggles. Thanks alot. I have an interesting idea for those.

I've epoxied the landing pods to the main body but no pic yet.

I've started the motor mount assembly this week. Here's the jig I built. The dowels are turned for 29mm except for the one with blue tape. I got carried away.

DSC02342.jpg

I then put the motor mounts with their housings in place for reference and layout.

DSC02343.jpg

Then the motor mounts were epoxy and fiberglassed to a bulkhead and BT80 tube.

DSC02347.jpg

Here is a little closer view.

DSC02348.jpg

I really need to clean my shop too.

More later.
John

hows this beauty coming. i still have my 3' plastic toy from the show.

You are the third person to ask about this in as many weeks. Wooshprez gave me a Space 1999 Board Game as inspiration to get started again. Snuggles pm'ed asking if I was going to NARCON and stated he'd like to to see it also and now you. I've been busy with my L1 and L2 projects and certs. They were both successful. I've also been starting a TARC team with my son's school. Needless to say, the shop is a disaster and now I'm recovering and getting ready to get back into the swing of things! Look for an update on this project by mid next week.

Snuggles, If you're reading, yes I plan on going to NARCON and the Eagle will be finished.

John

Okay... Since the thread has resurfaced, I've held off as long as I can...

Since you have all of the molds for the vacuum form parts... Any chance of you kitting the plastic parts and your plans? Not necessarily the commonly avaiable tube and such, just the custom pieces...

All right, I will get my butt in gear here. I'm not going to let any parts loose until I get a prototype in the air. Sorry, artist temperment flare-up there.:eek:

Then I'll let loose with parts for shipping and handling and money for the plastic. I can share. I'll just qualify that I'm still very new to this.

I think I did preface this thread with the fact I'm slow right?

John

Believe it or not I have made some incremental progress on the project. I've put together a baffle with the coupling and joined the BT-80. Been stuck on how to anchor the "inviso-fins" to the body. I've decided to use 4 10-24 t-nuts attached to the wooden disk where the ejection vent tubes come together and have an assembly polycarbonate fins that are removable for display. I have also been wrestling with how to do the obligatory roll cage work and have settled on 5/16" wooden doweling pinned with bits of clipped 6 penney nail shank at the joints and epoxy putty as the adhesive. I really need to update this thread and finish this thing.

Litany of excuses:
- Life, work, family
- Club Newsletter
- Son's TARC team
- Needed to build a spray booth to paint the thing in along with a forest of other projects.
- Silly need for sleep

Thanks for checking in.

John

dont rush take your time I am interested in building one someday

as for a paint booth stove hoods work real well just so you know

@@##$$%%^^ it!!! I saw this thread on the new posts list and thought it was done! OH THE HUGE MANATEE!!! :D:D:D

Back