Stability Question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flamboyant

Reaction score
I'm planning to do my first glassing job on an Estes Mean Machine, which will be modified with a 29mm motor mount for mid/maybe high power. I noticed that the fins are extremely small for a rocket of this size, and I'm not sure if they will hold the rocket stable with the glass, and larger motor. I don't have Rocksim (getting it later this year). Help would be much appreciated.

With a rocket as long as the Mean Machine, at least any ballast that you have to add to the nose will be pretty minimal-

(That is, if you have to add *any* at all?)

BTW, why do you feel that you have to glass the fins on that thing? It's not going to go significantly faster on a 29mm motor, certainly not fast enough to get into trouble on the fins

Nah, I'm only glassing the airframe as a precaution when I go HPR. My ultimate goal with it will be (maybe after future mods) to fly it on an "I" motor. I'm just worried about the airframe not being able to withstand high speeds (thin estes tubes) and then the heavier airframe not being able to be stabilized by the fins.

Back