What movie is this? Anybody knows?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balltip

Reaction score
I saw a movie on telly about 4 years ago (movie was most likely older, maybe mid 90's or so), and it was about a rich american trying to find his roots in... Wales? Ireland?

He flew cross the pond, trying to find his ancestors, and he got played by the locals as they wanted to get some of his money.

The film seemed to be rather "nice but unimportant" at the time I watched it, but over time it (or rather the "feeling" it left behind) has grown on me and I would like to see it again.

Actors were both british and american I think, but I really can't remember any of them by name (so I can't turn to imdb and look it up).

Anybody got any ideas about what movie I am on about?

Per - confused

It doesn't quite fit your description (it's an older movie from the 50s or 60s) but if you have not seen it, you need to watch 'The Quiet Man' with John Wayne. It has some pretty funny stuff, and some beautiful Irish scenery....

Problem solved! Despite my very cryptic description (that was a bit off, actually) there came an answer! Got a mail telling what I am looking for is most likely the movie "the matchmaker".

Now I just wonder why this particular person that solved the mystery don't want to tell the others on here that he likes a movie that could be described as a "romantic comedy".
Must be a male thing :D ;)

(Okay! So I admit it! I happen to, amongst other movie genres, LIKE what could be described as "romantic comedies"! You ever seen the wonderful move "the Englishman who went up a hill but came down a mountain"? If not - do it! :) )

(Edited for movie title, as I had it wrong)

Originally posted by Balltip
You ever seen the wonderful move "the Englishman who went up a hill but came down a mountain"? If not - do it! :) )

Yeah, I have seen that. My wife got into the habit of checking out movies from the library and this was one of the better ones that we saw. Pretty entertaining. I can't say that I'm a Hugh Grant fan, but "About A Boy" was also pretty good for free.

hallå,

Your description was a little rough.

I did see matchmaker but it really didn't fit the bill.

I had:
"This is my father" with James Caan
and
"The Field" with Richard Harris

I am a big movie fan and I love challenges like this.

Not to highjack your thread but I have a film along the same
lines of a romantic comedy.

The title is "The Fast Lady" made in England in 1962. If anyone
knows where I can get a VHS or DVD (US) please PM me. All I can
find is the UK-DVD region 2 DVD's which are not compatable here.

Thanks,

William

I saw a movie on telly about 4 years ago (movie was most likely older, maybe mid 90's or so), and it was about a rich american trying to find his roots in... Wales? Ireland?

He flew cross the pond, trying to find his ancestors, and he got played by the locals as they wanted to get some of his money.

The film seemed to be rather "nice but unimportant" at the time I watched it, but over time it (or rather the "feeling" it left behind) has grown on me and I would like to see it again.

Actors were both british and american I think, but I really can't remember any of them by name (so I can't turn to imdb and look it up).

Anybody got any ideas about what movie I am on about?

Per - confused

Sounds like one of my favorites, Local Hero (1983) with Burt Lancaster and Peter Riegert, soundtrack by Mark Knopfler

Lancaster plays an odd oil tycoon who wants to buy some coastal land in Scotland for a refinery. He sends Riegert over to the small fishing village to make some very quiet inquiries to try to piece together the land for the lowest price, but the townspeople get wind of it. They wine and dine Riegert, all willing to sell out... well, all except for Ole' Ben.

A great movie.

Originally posted by WillCarney
Not to highjack your thread but I have a film along the same
lines of a romantic comedy.

The title is "The Fast Lady" made in England in 1962. If anyone
knows where I can get a VHS or DVD (US) please PM me. All I can
find is the UK-DVD region 2 DVD's which are not compatable here.

Thanks,

William

No worries about hijacking! I might have to look into that one too! :)

In fact, there has been several movies mentioned that I think I'll have to look into/at :)

(Roy, I think you also might be onto something, mentioning Local hero. I think it is not that one, but at the same time it might be. Hrm... Time to check eBay and other places for DVD's. Thankfully I got a region free DVD player.)

(Roy, I think you also might be onto something, mentioning Local hero. I think it is not that one, but at the same time it might be. Hrm... Time to check eBay and other places for DVD's. Thankfully I got a region free DVD player.)

If actually "finding his ancestors" was part of the plot, probably not, as there was only a slight tinge of Riegert's character finding his spiritual roots (in the global sense).

It turned out to be "the Matchmaker" that I was looking for. I had not so few laughs from watching it again! :)

Now, maybe one could turn this into a guessing contest? "What movie am I thinking of", then providing a few scattered clues. ;)

My money's on 'Local hero' too. Not quite the right synopsis but a great film, by Bill Forsyth.
Try 'Gregory's Girl' as well.

Back