I Finally Did It !!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticpaul

Reaction score
I had inspiration and advice from some great people some are on here so thanks guys.

I started this project last fall and I have fianlly come up with a really nice Pyrgen formula. Don't get me wrong I know there are hotter mixes out there but I made mine from components you can make at home or find in the average big box store. On top of that it is actually very safe to make. I wouldn't mind if it burned a little slower but boy does it light easy and throw sparks. It reminds me of a fast burning sparkler.

If anyone wants the formula PM me.

I have Igniterman, but I'm game for a homebrew...count me in, my in-box is never full :(

Johnnie

PM's have been sent. I hope the instructions make sense. If anyone has ideas for alternate sources for any of the ingredients let me know. It will probably look familiar to another formula we are all familiar with. The difference is I have removed the element that makes it dangerous to work with, It isn't needed forthis purpose. I replaced it with a fuel and that is what makes it work so well.

Keep me posted on your results.

one thing that is a little mind boggling to me is getting the charcoal. I can take some coals an ground them up. (done it before) but your method is alot different.

Ben

Have you tested these in motors yet? What motors have you gotten to light with them, and what does it take to light the mix? Would it be good for airstart/staged motors? You rock, man!

Lg and I flew some rockets today and we used my igniters. I don't think I have ever seen 18mm Reloadable light that fast ! We did a bunch of Estes motors as well everyhting from 13mm to D's. I've never seen those little A's come off the pad so fast. We used my 12v system but I know it isn't pushing 12 right now because the battery needs a charge. You can alter the amount of juice need by the amount of Nichrome used. Since they are self supporting you could use very few turns of Nichrome, fold the wires back on theirselves. This way you could have 1" of heavy pyrogen that gets ignited by very little nichrome. You could also use this Pyrogen with Christmas bulbs for airstarts.

Ben, the method I described gives pure charcoal. If you have coals from a fire that's fine. However do not use the briquets you buy at the store they are loaded with binders and stuff we don't want like sand. I get mine from my smoker. When I shut it down after cooking the wood burns with very little oxygen and basically some of it just "bakes" that is the stuff you want. It should pretty much fall apart and you want it like a powder.

Yes Paul and I used them to launch some small things in his yard today. They worked great. I imagine that added a newton or two to the small 13mm flights!:)
We also launch a saucer on a 24mm reloadable but that was the biggest thing we could launch in the yard. I'm impressed they worked great each and every time.

Thanks for everyones interest in this project. Please keep us posted on how it works for you.

Ihave had a couple people ask me how I do my wires. I use a pretty staright forward technique as described on Info Central. There are some differences and that is what I will go into.

I use a Fly tying bobbin to wind my nichrome wire. I wind the nichrome on an old fly tying thread spool using my drill and then use a bobbin to wind the wire. A real simple bobbin for this purpose can be made with the tip section of a pen, some heavy wire and two beads. bend a basic wishbone with the wire, mount the pen section to the straight area. Glue the beads on the ends so they will pinch the spool. This makes the nichrome very managable.

When winding, if I plan to use lower voltage I will use as few as three turns of 40g nichrome. On a standard igniter I use 6 turns. If you are making them for larger motors fold the lead wires back on themselves for an inch or so and then dip to caot will. This gives a larger amount of Pyrogen without any extra nichrome to heat up.

These were made with eye droppers and a short piece of brass tubing but the principle is the same:

.th_DSCF0421.jpg

I will try and get a shot this evening. I am a lousy photographer and my wife might even be worse.

Maybe one of you folks could do that for me. ;)

I would, but at the speed I do things, it'll probably be a month away. I did drop by Wal Mart, found one item, and was referred to GNC for another :eek: Didn't get a chance to go there though.

So Paul, shoot me a PM with what you ended up using. Hope the info I sent you helped some.

PMed you... I am also wondering where I could buy nichrome wire. I figured that this would be the place to ask. :D

Sent you a PM and even included where I get my nichrome. Everything else is given in the instructions. Let me know if I can help any more. Welcome to flying independence....

I've discovered a fairly large laboratory supply company here in my part of town, and I'm going to try to stop by there on Friday when I have my day off to see if I can get a couple of the ingredients. Should be easier (and more pure) than what is available from pharmacists and elsewhere.

WW

Lucky you. The one ingrediant from the pharmacy is a very high grade but it will sure make getting the resy easier !!!!

I'll PM you my address !!!!LOL

OK, that thread is a video of a test fire of my igniter.

Here's a picture captured from the test.

Thanks SwampWorks!! I have been too busy to stop and shoot. I had an English Final last night..., combining that with everything elso going on and some days I don't know where to begin.
I will try and get a shot this evening of one of mine.

Paul, I PMed you with what I am going to use as one of the substances used. I am thinking it will work, but only one way to find out. :D

For those involved in this project, I picked up some ribbon of the metal mentioned in the formula at my local chemistry supply store. They had it in either ribbon form or in powder form. The ribbon is too thick to ignite easily, so it's totally unsuitable for this. On top of that, it's also too hard to pulverize into flakes, and I was unable to get the form of it that plasticpaul derived his from, so I'll probably be heading back to the lab supply store on Tuesday to get some powder.

Major bummer.

WW

Back