Official Start of Virtual Rocket Contest: NASROC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
nasroc_ad.gif

Start your engines:

VIRTUAL CONTEST: NASROC

We have started the line-up and distributed the first (8) sets of designs.

Regards,
Nick

on EMRR the SUBMIT Button or Feedback Button.

Nick,

I have a question regarding the fin rule. The rules state:

"Each rocket's fin count, position, shape, and dimensions must match the original"

Since dimensions are listed, does that mean I cannot modify the fin thickness?

Can I rotate the fin position on the booster (indicating that I launch with the fins not in line by twisting the booster tube)?

--- Ron

Originally posted by e42
Nick,

I have a question regarding the fin rule. The rules state:

"Each rocket's fin count, position, shape, and dimensions must match the original"

Since dimensions are listed, does that mean I cannot modify the fin thickness?

Can I rotate the fin position on the booster (indicating that I launch with the fins not in line by twisting the booster tube)?

--- Ron

Thickness is not stated. You may adjust thickness and material within the guidelines. position is on radius of tube and front-back and can not be changed.... no twisting :p

Originally posted by PunkRocketScience
Just got my models to play with. Should we keep the secret or can we reveal what we got?

That is entirely up to you... your competition are also prizes!

Originally posted by EMRR
your competition are also prizes!

I get it! That's terribly clever! Can I go ahead and select my prize now so that I can get the build bonus?:D

I get it! That's terribly clever! Can I go ahead and select my prize now so that I can get the build bonus?:D

By all means... sponsors would LOVE to have your business based off of their support of the EMRR contest. Buy one now, win another later!

Nick

I just got started playing with my two NASROCs. Eh eh eh !

Of course that's when the questions start to pop-up. So here we go:

1) The rules say "Any motor in the database may be used for staged configuration (not just black powder)" . Does that means we can use any motor in the database as a booster motor, even if that particular motor does not show a 0 second delay?

2) For the rocket of the future, the rules say "No diameter or length may exceed either of the two original rockets ". What does it mean? If I have one rocket with a diameter of 1 inch and the other one has a diameter of 2 inches, is my rocket of the future limited to a diameter of 1 inch, or 2 inches ? Same question for the length.

Thanks. :D

Originally posted by Afterburner
I just got started playing with my two NASROCs. Eh eh eh !

Of course that's when the questions start to pop-up. So here we go:

1) The rules say "Any motor in the database may be used for staged configuration (not just black powder)" . Does that means we can use any motor in the database as a booster motor, even if that particular motor does not show a 0 second delay?

2) For the rocket of the future, the rules say "No diameter or length may exceed either of the two original rockets ". What does it mean? If I have one rocket with a diameter of 1 inch and the other one has a diameter of 2 inches, is my rocket of the future limited to a diameter of 1 inch, or 2 inches ? Same question for the length.

Thanks. :D

1) yes - but you will find that you have to choose one of the delays... it will not work with NONE or ALL... so plan carefully.

2) Any of the larger diameter or length of each rocket. So for your example 2inches in diameter.

Originally posted by Jacobgold91
Can I use single deploy with electronics?

No electronic deployment for this contest.

For the build bonus to count, does the rocket need to be built to the modified specs and material in the RockSIM file?

Can a built rocket be submitted for the Sponsor-Appeal part of the contest?

Do you DQ in event #3 if the one rocket exceeds 400 ft/sec or do you just get 0 points for that rocket?

--- Ron

1) yes - but you will find that you have to choose one of the delays... it will not work with NONE or ALL... so plan carefully.

Okay, but what if the motor that I want to use from the certified motor contest file only has NONE, ALL and 100?

Okay, but what if the motor that I want to use from the certified motor contest file only has NONE, ALL and 100?

Design challenge.... sorry.

Nick

Here a few questions to annoy you as well.

1. Does altitude matter for anything beside the half mile? So can I go as high or low for everything besides that one "contest"?

2. This has to do with the question above. Can I do a composite motor to black powder or vice versa or do both motors have to be the same type?

3. Last one for now(I hope). I'm guessing any motor style can be done to any rocket like multiple airstarts or any motor that can possibly fit. Like can I put a K or L or whatever in a rocket that is only meant for an F? I know it has to be stable though.

Are we not allowed to test launch these rockets to make sure they fly? When I try to launch the thing, it says unable to create launch simulation data file blah, blah blah.

Originally posted by Rocketry nut
Here a few questions to annoy you as well.

1. Does altitude matter for anything beside the half mile? So can I go as high or low for everything besides that one "contest"?

2. This has to do with the question above. Can I do a composite motor to black powder or vice versa or do both motors have to be the same type?

3. Last one for now(I hope). I'm guessing any motor style can be done to any rocket like multiple airstarts or any motor that can possibly fit. Like can I put a K or L or whatever in a rocket that is only meant for an F? I know it has to be stable though.

1) Event 1 at least 1000 ft, Event 2 1/2 mile, Event 4 at least 50 ft

2) Yes, any motor and delay in the motors file

3) Yes

Are we not allowed to test launch these rockets to make sure they fly? When I try to launch the thing, it says unable to create launch simulation data file blah, blah blah.

Anyone else having this problem? Which version of RockSIM are you using?

Nick

Anyone else having this problem? Which version of RockSIM are you using?

Nick

I have the latest version which I believe is 8.0. This actually happens to any Rocksim files on EMRR.

Originally posted by e42
For the build bonus to count, does the rocket need to be built to the modified specs and material in the RockSIM file?

Can a built rocket be submitted for the Sponsor-Appeal part of the contest?

Do you DQ in event #3 if the one rocket exceeds 400 ft/sec or do you just get 0 points for that rocket?

--- Ron

Nick,

Any answers to these questions?

I have the latest version which I believe is 8.0. This actually happens to any Rocksim files on EMRR.

Hmmm, somethings up, but I would believe it is on your end. I just resent you the files in a ZIP file to see it that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Nick

Originally posted by e42
1)For the build bonus to count, does the rocket need to be built to the modified specs and material in the RockSIM file?

2)Can a built rocket be submitted for the Sponsor-Appeal part of the contest?

3)Do you DQ in event #3 if the one rocket exceeds 400 ft/sec or do you just get 0 points for that rocket?

--- Ron

1) There is really no way for me to validate this, so no, but it it should have the same motor cofiguration capability... in otherwords if you make yours L capable in rocksim, the your build should be L capable... and... it should look like your rocksim

2) No, the idea is to use the "virtual" work which takes work and knowledge of RockSIM.

3) 0 Points for that rocket.

Thanks,
Nick

Just a suggestion...

I've been playing with my entries over the weekend, but I realized last night that I forgot to download the VC XIII motor file :(

Well, to my surprise the VC XIII motor files are pretty old and do not include many of the newer motors currently available (for example, some redlines, most of the warp-9 reloads, the Cesaroni Vmax reloads, several 38 mm AMW reloads).

By the same token, there are a lot of old motors in these files that have been OOP for a long time.

Soooo.... Can we use something more recent than the proposed engine file?

Hmmm, somethings up, but I would believe it is on your end. I just resent you the files in a ZIP file to see it that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Nick

Thanks for trying again Nick. The ZIP files didn't change anything unfortunately. So I guess the only thing I can do is recreate the rocket from scratch and every thing should work. This will make any changes easier anyway since I can put any motor mount or whatever in without having to take anything out.

Originally posted by Afterburner
Just a suggestion...

I've been playing with my entries over the weekend, but I realized last night that I forgot to download the VC XIII motor file :(

Well, to my surprise the VC XIII motor files are pretty old and do not include many of the newer motors currently available (for example, some redlines, most of the warp-9 reloads, the Cesaroni Vmax reloads, several 38 mm AMW reloads).

By the same token, there are a lot of old motors in these files that have been OOP for a long time.

Soooo.... Can we use something more recent than the proposed engine file?

I would love to have an UP-TO-DATE "Certified Motor" file that matches the NAR/TRA certified motor listing... is that what yours is? Send it to me.

Thanks,
Nick

I just checked with Tim and his was done with the release of RockSIM 8 and not touched since, so we could start with that.

I'll do it this week.

Regards,
Nick

I just checked with Tim and his was done with the release of RockSIM 8 and not touched since, so we could start with that.

I'll do it this week.

Regards,
Nick

Well maybe not... I just spent 1/2 hour adding Quest C6-0 Booster (which is different than the C6) using engine editor and I can see it in the file, but when I restart engine editor it does not show up.

Anyone know why?

Latest posts

Back