Do you need a stronger engine housing for composite motors? vs BP motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRocketMan

Reaction score
HELP !! I WOULD LIKE SOME FEEDBACK!!
I am interested in putting some composite motors into my new, and first, 24mm cluster build. I am wanting to know if you have to use a stronger engine housing, other than the standard grade that you use with BP engines. The reason is clear......MORE POWER!!! I understand that you get about twice the punch for the same size BP engine.

I don't want to blow my build to peices though. I hope someone with more experience than me will let me know. Thanks for your time!!:D

Originally posted by MadRocketMan
HELP !! I WOULD LIKE SOME FEEDBACK!!
I am interested in putting some composite motors into my new, and first, 24mm cluster build. I am wanting to know if you have to use a stronger engine housing, other than the standard grade that you use with BP engines. The reason is clear......MORE POWER!!! I understand that you get about twice the punch for the same size BP engine.

I don't want to blow my build to peices though. I hope someone with more experience than me will let me know. Thanks for your time!!:D
As long as you use solid construction techniques the motors aren't really an issue, the ejection charges are. Composite motor ejection charges have a tendency to burn up the thinner Estes type tubes after just a few flights. A thin layer of epoxy or CA applied to surfaces that will see the blast from the charges helps mitigate the problem.

Andrew Grippo

Originally posted by agrippo
As long as you use solid construction techniques the motors aren't really an issue, the ejection charges are. Composite motor ejection charges have a tendency to burn up the thinner Estes type tubes after just a few flights. A thin layer of epoxy or CA applied to surfaces that will see the blast from the charges helps mitigate the problem.

Andrew Grippo

ITs not the ejection charge that burns up the tube, its the delay charge that continues to burn through the touchhole after it touches off the powder. This is especially true in the shorter delays. One reason I love using RMS is that issue is less because the delays are controlled by grain length, not how deep they drill.

Originally posted by n3tjm
ITs not the ejection charge that burns up the tube, its the delay charge that continues to burn through the touchhole after it touches off the powder. This is especially true in the shorter delays. One reason I love using RMS is that issue is less because the delays are controlled by grain length, not how deep they drill.
Sounds good to me, I've scorched and ruined the Estes Executioner using AT reloads so I figured it was from the more aggressive BP charges.

Andrew

Back