Bel decal paper printing question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I want to know what you guys have done to print your decals on the Bel inkjet in order to work on black paint jobs. I have the clear label paper. I also print with an Epson Stylus C88 printer.

Thanks.

I've not used the Bel paper, but my guess is you're out of luck for that particular scenario. I've read enough on here to know that you need a light colored background for the colors to show correctly on clear decals. I believe they also make a white background paper - that would of course mean you'd have to very carefully cut out the printed decals so as not to leave a white border around everything.

This may be too late for your project, but I've been thinking I want yellow letters on a black background on the rocket I'm getting ready to paint. The way I'm going to do it, is to paint the body yellow, then design the decal so the letters are clear and the background of the decal sheet is black. Then just wrap the decal sheet all the way around the rocket body.

I figure that I'll have to just get some white label paper...but like you have said, lots of trimming...

I've read about this technique being used by plastic modelers but I don't see why it wouldn't work for rockets.

Use clear decal paper for your decals but print a reverse image on the BACK of a white decal paper sheet.

Cut out the white decals and decal your model with just the white backgrounds.

When they are dry, give the model a light clear coat to seal the white and then put your decals over the white backgrounds.

I've been thinking of getting some white decal paper just for that purpose.

I'm having a hard time understanding how that would be at all better than just printing them on white paper. It's certainly not easier....

Originally posted by paparoof
I'm having a hard time understanding how that would be at all better than just printing them on white paper. It's certainly not easier....

When you're trimming close to the printed edge of the white you can't get too close to the printed graphic or you will break the seal from the clear coat. Then when you dip them in water the ink will run. So you end up with a slight border of white around each decal.

If you are just cutting out a white background, you can cut right on the line without worrying about the ink running.

That's all.

Okay, NOW I get it. Sorry. It makes sense now.

There's no actual ink printed on the white decals, so there can't be any ink bleed, so they can be cut precisely at at edge. Then the actual graphic on the clear CAN be cut with a slight border to fully protect the ink under the clear coat, and since the overhang is clear, you retain the clean look of precision.

I'll bet that looks great. It also sounds like it would solve bigone5500's issue with the dark background. Got any clear closeup pics of what that finished product looks like? That'd be interesting to see.

Guy's:
If your going to go to all that trouble, why not mask out the decal background on the model for the decal after base coating in white? Once your dark top coat is applied, remove the mask and apply your decals over the white basecoat.
I know that might take a tad more time but I think you'd end up with a longer lasting job:)

Back