J420 - Cracked Phenolic Liner after firing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle_vanya

Reaction score
After my recent L2 attempt I noticed that the phenolic liner in the J420 was cracked almost along one entire side. The liner was NOT cracked when it went in - but it was when I unloaded it. I have never noticed this but I have not flown many reloads with phenolic liners.

Is this normal?

As long as there is no damage in the case, you're fine. I've seen it in a couple of loads - it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Originally posted by cjl
As long as there is no damage in the case, you're fine. I've seen it in a couple of loads - it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

To clarify - no damage at all to the case. No marks, not even harder to clean - simply cracked liner.

Happens to a few loads with the hard plastic phenolic liners... I have heard it is fine so I wouldnt worry about it much.

Just keep your eye's open for any real damage to the case. The liner is only there to protect the case, as long as it does that job it doesnt matter how thrashed up it gets.

Originally posted by jraice
Happens to a few loads with the hard plastic phenolic liners... I have heard it is fine so I wouldnt worry about it much.

Just keep your eye's open for any real damage to the case. The liner is only there to protect the case, as long as it does that job it doesnt matter how thrashed up it gets.

I don't think I would have thought about it except a friend of mine makes LPR rockets using the expended phenolic liners from 38/720 loads. I couldn't give him mine because it was damaged and I wondered why.

My mind is at ease and I am one with the universe now... :p

Latest posts

Back