$2500 launch pad?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What it says is that you are buying the provisional patent... not just the launch system. I would have to say that it is a little fishy though. Correct me if I am wrong.

Tim

Originally posted by The Visionary
What it says is that you are buying the provisional patent... not just the launch system. I would have to say that it is a little fishy though. Correct me if I am wrong.

Tim

OK, I didn't read the entire add.
(shhhhhh, I am at work...)
but you are right, it is still a bit questionable.

Heh. A provisional patent. I guess it will be hard for the USPTO to turn up prior art on a launch controller, right? ;)

There's nothing there worth patenting. There is nothing new here, except for putting all your batteries and electronics in what appears to be a Tupperware(R) container.

While you certainly can get a design patent for an exact configuration, there is zero value to it. A patent will cost you $5,000 minimum + the $2,500 this bozo wants. It is unlikely that you would sell to more than a few dozen suckers at most, so you're starting at ~$200 unit just to get your investment back. Considering that a good high power relay launcher can be had for just over $100 (universal launch system from pratt hobbies, https://www.pratthobbies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ULS-M1 why would even consider this POS?

Bob

Originally posted by Johnnie
That's a pretty stout statement from you Bob...
I guess the truth hurts?

I had the same thought, how is anyone going to sell enough of these things, to make enough profit from sales, to cover the cost of buying the rights to this dumb thing? I mean, I could come up with a million dollar launcher that guarantees results, but who's gonna be dumb enough to buy it?

As junky as they can be, you have to admit that Estes has a pretty clever launcher design that works (most of the time) and can be built for about 29 cents worth of plastic and wire.....

Originally posted by bobkrech
There's nothing there worth patenting. There is nothing new here, except for putting all your batteries and electronics in what appears to be a Tupperware(R) container.

While you certainly can get a design patent for an exact configuration, there is zero value to it. A patent will cost you $5,000 minimum + the $2,500 this bozo wants. It is unlikely that you would sell to more than a few dozen suckers at most, so you're starting at ~$200 unit just to get your investment back. Considering that a good high power relay launcher can be had for just over $100 (universal launch system from pratt hobbies, https://www.pratthobbies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ULS-M1 why would even consider this POS?

Bob

So its not a good deal.

Darn.

Well, I'm going to be interested in seeing if there's anybody dumb enough to bite.

I really can't see how it would perform any better than one you could readily build or purchase now.

And you'd think for $2500 he could at least make the ad appear normal (ie no visible html code) But he has ZERO feedback, guess he hasn't done much with Ebay.

I wonder if I could put together a bogus launch pad set-up, and time it such that it will end up right next to his entry, and then price it at half the price of his...I got lots'O Tupperware(R) and Estes pads sitting around...I could even paint flames on it...I could thow in a carrying case...say a Spiderman Lunch box or something...and then I could add that I only have two left, "so hurry and bid today!"

Johnnie

Originally posted by Johnnie
I could thow in a carrying case...say a Spiderman Lunch box

Johnnie,

Include a Superman or Captain America lunch box and it might be worth $2000. :D

Is our guy here color blind??
*Large illuminating RED or BLUE LED when ARMED
I mean u think he could tell if it was Red or Blue??

Lots of posts so I will summarize in one post.

First, with the mess the USPO is in, probably will get the patent.

Then you go to all other companies making launch systems and demand money or you sue. Happens all the time.

He seems to think it is worth something as it is a"a power delivery system." Having a rechargable gel battery also seems to be a big deal.

As for worth it, no.

As for the LED's, no clue if there are 2 or 3 on the system.

I also received an email from the individual today and probably won't bother responding. No information there except for a link to the ebay auction and a very brief description.

Originally posted by powderburner
I mean, I could come up with a million dollar launcher that guarantees results, but who's gonna be dumb enough to buy it?

Hmmmmmm ......... depends on what kind of launcher you're selling. I know some guys who'd jump on that 1 mil offer real fast.

:)

Originally posted by sunward
Lots of posts so I will summarize in one post.

First, with the mess the USPO is in, probably will get the patent.

From what I read at the USPTO web site you must follow up a provisional application with an actual application within one year.

https://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/provapp.htm

I find the following sentence very interesting:

"It allows filing without a formal patent claim, oath or declaration, or any information disclosure (prior art) statement."

There is a sucker born every minute and on Ebay they come looking for you.

Or is that too cynical?

Captain America's stock is WAY down after being arrested in Miami over the weekend. Something about a burrito in his tights.

Bob

TUPPERWARE!! That's not Tupperware!!! Look at the lower edge of the controller in those pictures, dangit!! See the flat metal latch and the handle?!?!? Good sir, he made this out of a lunch box.... so of course it's official, trademarked name will be The Launchbox (TM).

Al

Originally posted by UhClem
From what I read at the USPTO web site you must follow up a provisional application with an actual application within one year.

I find the following sentence very interesting:

"It allows filing without a formal patent claim, oath or declaration, or any information disclosure (prior art) statement."

There is a sucker born every minute and on Ebay they come looking for you.

Or is that too cynical?
Correct. And filing a provisional application only costs $100 for an individual. Getting the patent is a lot more money.

https://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/qs/ope/fee2007february01.htm

While it is unlikely that you could ever get a return on your investment if you bought the rights to this launch controller, the guy selling the rights on e-bay will make a 2500% profit if his auction is succesful.

Bob

the guy selling the rights on e-bay will make a 2500% profit if his auction is succesful.

Better hurry, you only have about 24 minutes left to waste $2500. No bidders yet, so it's wide open for ya. :D

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Better hurry, you only have about 24 minutes .... No bidders yet, ...

Thanks for the update.

Changed my mind and will bid for it. Hopefully there is noone out there that will snip at the last minute and get into a bidding war with me.

I was about to bid until, on a hunch, I calculated the S/H costs to my MD address... I'm afraid $9+ simply makes this auction too steep for my blood. Moving on.

Originally posted by Balsa Bob
I was about to bid until, on a hunch, I calculated the S/H costs to my MD address... I'm afraid $9+ simply makes this auction too steep for my blood. Moving on.

Just lowered the price, so you can start bidding.

Back