Sheri's Hot Rockets Saturn 1B ???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased Sheri's 1/48 Scale Saturn 1B model yet and if so what can you tell us about it???

Thanks!!!

140 some-odd looks but no one's responded...I'm curious about this kit too, and about the Gemini Titan she offers...here's a bump for your thread...

The prices on all of Sheri's kits look very reasonable for the size and models that they are scaled after. I am surprised to not see more reviews, build pics, launch pics, etc. I am certain that if I was full tilt into rocketry I would be all over one or two of those kits.

Let's coax Bob Cox to weigh in on this one. He's not built it et, but purchased one and done quite a bit of pre-build work/analysis.

--Chan Stevens

Could we get a link to the page where these are? I'd like to check them out. Thanks.

I'm sure plenty of bought and built Sheri's Saturn 1-B; one day,
when I can afford it, I intend to get one too (but intend to build
using four 24 mm clusters...). Sheri has excellent products with
excellent quality with the large scale and very resonable prices; her e-bay profile shows 100% positive feedbacks, so what more can you ask for?! Her videos of her products launches and the
responses she's provided in the various forums (yes, I do read
most all of them) proves to me that she knows her stuff very well.

Hey Thanks guys for the kind words. My website does have a customer photo section which shows the Sat1b completed from my kit. My kits are not easy but if you just take your time I havent had any complaints yet.

I am trying to release some kits that arent as expensive, my Mercury Redstone at $129 and my very soon 1/24 mercury Atlas which will be slightly higher but in the ballpark price range.

As my kits have evolved you will find the later releases with a lot more prefab parts that make the build a lot quicker and with better results.
:D Sheri

Hi Sheri, I know I am probably in the minority here, but with me being on dialup I noticed the images on your site take a long time to fully load. I took a peek at your HTML and discovered it is because you are adding height and width attributes to your image tags instead of simply resizing the images and reuploading the smaller images and linking to those.

The way you have it now, the HTML code is "forcing" those large images into smaller constraits, and in a few cases it makes some of the images appear to have jagged sections, especially in areas where there are straight lines or contrasting colors.

Don't take that as a complaint, just some constructive criticism.

Originally posted by Maagic
Hi Sheri, I know I am probably in the minority here, but with me being on dialup I noticed the images on your site take a long time to fully load. I took a peek at your HTML and discovered it is because you are adding height and width attributes to your image tags instead of simply resizing the images and reuploading the smaller images and linking to those.

The way you have it now, the HTML code is "forcing" those large images into smaller constraits, and in a few cases it makes some of the images appear to have jagged sections, especially in areas where there are straight lines or contrasting colors.

Don't take that as a complaint, just some constructive criticism.
I am in the process of redoing my website completely and will take that into consideration. I do that on some images so you can click on the image and get a bigger more detailed version.
Thanks

Sheri-
You could put the smaller pics on your page as thumbnails so it still loads the smaller, quicker, dial-up friendly pics and viewers still can click to get the detailed version.
Been a while since I tinkered with this stuff but IIRC, it would add an extra step or two for you and take up a bit more space on your server, but...

You actually have 2 images. The first is the thumbnail image which is what is loaded with the normal page and you have a second image that when you click on the thumbnail image it loads the full size one. This helps speed up page load time alot. Its been too long since I've done it but I could scrounge up an example if I had to.

-Aaron

That's what I mean about taking up a bit more space on the server, but not much and with the fact that most hosting services are offering HUGE amounts of server space....

I bought one of the first Saturb 1B kits..............and it's till sitting in my "to do" pile. :rolleyes: It looks nice in the box - maybe, just MAYBE I can start it soon.

After looking at her website, I think
I would buy one of her rockets if she
delivered it in person wearing that short mini
and that black top she has on in the pictures.

To fxrs,

Comments on Sheri's appearance and clothing are off-topic and not particularly welcome. Yes, she is an attractive woman. Great. Move on.

Back to the original topic:
Originally posted by chanstevens
Let's coax Bob Cox to weigh in on this one. He's not built it et, but purchased one and done quite a bit of pre-build work/analysis.

Yes, I have one of Sheri's Saturn 1B's in my hairy paws. So far I have read through the directions several times, weighed and measured each of the components, and built a pretty accurate RockSim model. I have not yet started construction.

SCALE ACCURACY: This is my first Saturn kit, so I do not claim to be an expert on the nit-picky scale details. Lately I have been doing a lot of reading about the Saturn IB and the Apollo program. Based on that, I would say that Sheri's 1:48 Saturn beats the 1:70 Estes, 1:70 Semroc, and ant-scale Zooch versions for accuracy. The molded capsule and the corrugated styrene wraps on Sheri's kit really make it stand out from the other kits. The Apogee 1:70 Saturns, with their custom vacuformed parts, still look like the gold standards for scale accuracy for Apollo purists.

MATERIALS: The custom-molded resin capsule is the crown jewel of this kit, and it has a lot of detail. The body tubes and centering rings are very strong, but quite heavy as a result. The weight of all the included components is about 52-53 oz. To this must still be added two parachutes, glue, paint, and an engine, which would be about 14-15 more ounces. I do not believe it is possible to stay under the 1500g takeoff weight limit for Large Model Rockets specified by FAA and NFPA. As such, this is legally a High Power Rocket and would require an FAA waiver (not just a notification) to fly. In addition, the flyer would have to be HPR certified to legally launch this anywhere that enforces NFPA 1127, even when using a 'G' motor.

Sheri's 1:48 Saturn 1B is very similar in diameter and length to the 1:70 Apogee Saturn V, yet the Apogee kit weighs about 35% less. The weight difference is almost entirely due to the heavy-duty tubing, thick centering rings, and the solid resin capsule.

INSTRUCTIONS: Overall, quite clearly written, with lots of B&W photo illustrations. The target audience is definitely experienced builders, not beginners.

Most of the detail parts must be constructed from dowels, balsa blocks, sheet styrene, and styrene rods. A separate booklet is full of templates for fabricating these parts.

Included with the kit is a HUGE blueprint of the entire kit drafted by Sheri. Very nicely done, and I will probably hang mine on the wall of my den when I am done building the kit.

One area where the instructions are a little weak is the painting details. To do a decent job, the builder is going to have to do a fair amount of web searching looking for historical pictures. A CD with these pictures (or at least a list of links to them) would have been nice.

OVERALL: This is a big, impressive kit when built. It demands plenty of effort and no small amount of skill on the part of the builder, but the result should be a very rewarding project when completed. Just be aware that this really is a High Power Rocket and plan accordingly.

Originally posted by BobCox
To fxrs,

Comments on Sheri's appearance and clothing are off-topic and not particularly welcome. Yes, she is an attractive woman. Great. Move on.

Back to the original topic:

Yes, I have one of Sheri's Saturn 1B's in my hairy paws. So far I have read through the directions several times, weighed and measured each of the components, and built a pretty accurate RockSim model. I have not yet started construction.

SCALE ACCURACY: This is my first Saturn kit, so I do not claim to be an expert on the nit-picky scale details. Lately I have been doing a lot of reading about the Saturn IB and the Apollo program. Based on that, I would say that Sheri's 1:48 Saturn beats the 1:70 Estes, 1:70 Semroc, and ant-scale Zooch versions for accuracy. The molded capsule and the corrugated styrene wraps on Sheri's kit look really make it stand out from the other kits. The Apogee 1:70 Saturns, with their custom vacuformed parts, still look like the gold standards for scale accuracy for Apollo purists.

MATERIALS: The custom-molded resin capsule is the crown jewel of this kit, and it has a lot of detail. The body tubes and centering rings are very strong, but quite heavy as a result. The weight of all the included components is about 52-53 oz. To this must still be added two parachutes, glue, paint, or an engine, which would be about 14-15 more ounces. I do not believe it is possible to stay under the 1500g takeoff weight limit for Large Model Rockets specified by FAA and NFPA. As such, this is legally a High Power Rocket and would require an FAA waiver (not just a notification) to fly. In addition, the flyer would have to be HPR certified to legally launch this anywhere that enforces NFPA 1127, even when using a 'G' motor.

Sheri's 1:48 Saturn 1B is very similar in diameter and length to the 1:70 Apogee Saturn V, yet the Apogee kit weighs about 35% less. The weight difference is almost entirely due to the heavy-duty tubing, thick centering rings, and the solid resin capsule.

INSTRUCTIONS: Overall, quite clearly written, with lots of B&W photo illustrations. The target audience is definitely experienced builders, not beginners.

Most of the detail parts must be constructed from dowels, balsa blocks, sheet styrene, and styrene rods. A separate booklet is full of templates for fabricating these parts.

Included with the kit is a HUGE blueprint of the entire kit drafted by Sheri. Very nicely done, and I will probably hang mine on the wall of my den when I am done building the kit.

One area where the instructions are a little weak is the painting details. To do a decent job, the builder is going to have to do a fair amount of web searching looking for historical pictures. A CD with these pictures (or at least a list of links to them) would have been nice.

OVERALL: This is a big, impressive kit when built. It demands plenty of effort and no small amount of skill on the part of the builder, but the result should be a very rewarding project when completed. Just be aware that this really is a High Power Rocket and plan accordingly.

Thanks Bob, I think that is a very fair, objective critique of the kit, etc. I appreciate you taking the time to give us your thoughts. I will definately consider all your points for further improvements on the kit!
Thanks
Sheri:D

The decal package has a lot of documentation on the placement of all the markings, paint/roll patterns, decals, etc.
54_3.JPG

Originally posted by sheri
The decal package has a lot of documentation on the placement of all the markings, paint/roll patterns, decals, etc.
Oops! You're right.

I just looked at the decal booklet. It is 10 pages, filled with dozens of photos and very detailed CAD drawings that show placement and marking details. Very nice.

Sorry for not seeing that sooner -- I had not taken the booklet out of the decal bag because I didn't want to wrinkle or scatch the decals.

I withdraw my earlier objection. :D

I withdraw my earlier objection. :D

Judge: "...scratch that objection from the record...."

Sheri...you have some fine scales there!! :cool: If my budget allows this summer, I plan on getting one....now lets see....Mercury Redstone, Mercury Atlas, Gemini Titan, Saturn 1B or the Big Saturn V........so many choices :confused: :confused: :confused:

I wanna see someone stick a 75mm in that 1:36 scale 747. :D

Sticking it in wouldn't be very exciting... but igniting it sure would!

Sticking it in wouldn't be very exciting... but igniting it sure would!

!!! :eek: !!!

What do you think, Bob, could we talk Andy Limper and Dave Donovan into letting us try it?

Dave was already concerned about me flying a 2-pound foam airplane with an electric motor under radio control. What do you think he will say about a behemoth like that flying unguided while shooting a stream of flame?

. What do you think he will say about a behemoth like that flying unguided while shooting a stream of flame?

I'd say:
'YeeeeeHaaaawwwww.... '
:p

Dave was already concerned about me flying a 2-pound foam airplane with an electric motor under radio control. What do you think he will say about a behemoth like that flying unguided while shooting a stream of flame?

Just make sure you yell "Ya'll watch this" before you press the launch button... It's sort of the universal verbal disclaimer before something goes terribly wrong;) .

Now about that Mercury Redstone.... I've been drooling after that kit since I first saw it on eBay a few weeks back.
Alas; so many rockets, so little $$ & time.:bawling:

Back