#1 Reason to use Future Finish as you Clear Coat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Repairs.

Evidence my Launch Pad Hawk with Rustoleum clear coat (or Krylon, it doesn't matter). Sanded and filled and then hit with primer. Note the crinkled surface. This was just a small repair and look at the crap you have to go through. And believe me, I'm not going to spend the time to sand off all the clear coat on the whole rocket! WHAT A PAIN!!!

IMG_0129.JPG

And yes I'll sand and work with it until its right, but a much better option is Future Finish... On my Performance Rocketry Little John which I'm also repairing I just sprayed it down with Windex and wiped it off and let it dry. Sanded and filled and then used the same primer application. No crinkles!! Never ever!!!. After paint is applied I will just take 20 minutes to re-shoot the whole rocket with Future and it will look like new! EASY!

IMG_0131.JPG

future over future.. it strips and coats in one step

I love clearing with Future !!! My rockets never have little dings like that......If I break something it generally isn't repairable....LOL

I use Future Floor Wax with a small brush and apply only where
decals are located to protect them from the elements. Just enough to "seal" them to the model's surface. Works great for
me everytime.

I now spray future with my airbrush. I took the same route. I just got tired of trying to match the clear coats with the paints. One too many crinkles and blisters. Now I am worry free with Future.

Sounds like a commercial :)

Originally posted by lessgravity
I now spray future with my airbrush. I took the same route. I just got tired of trying to match the clear coats with the paints. One too many crinkles and blisters. Now I am worry free with Future.

Sounds like a commercial :)

The first time I tried using my airbrush to spray the Future Floor
Wax on the blast from the airbrush forced some of the decals off
of the model! That's the reason I use a brush now... I have to
admit I know very little about using airbrushes anyway :( :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dixontj93060
Repairs.

Evidence my Launch Pad Hawk with Rustoleum clear coat (or Krylon, it doesn't matter). Sanded and filled and then hit with primer. Note the crinkled surface. This was just a small repair and look at the crap you have to go through. And believe me, I'm not going to spend the time to sand off all the clear coat on the whole rocket! WHAT A PAIN!!!

I had exactly the same thing happen on a bash of an AT Wart Hog I'm working on. I put clear coat (Kilz, which I decided to try for the first time, but that's not the reason) over appliance epoxy. It holds fumes for a long time, but I waited a WEEK. Alligator skin, all over my rocket.

Luckily epoxy paint goes over clear coat and everything else with no problems. But the sanding... Epoxy paint is tough, and it clogs up sandpaper in like 3 swipes.

Strange thing is I did some touch up with high heat stove paint the day after the epoxy coat, and it didn't craze. It's the reason I tried to use clear coat. The stove paint is flatter than the epoxy paint.

Back