LEUP and fireworks permit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
My dad is applying for a LEUP and I was wondering how I could fins out if fireworks were covered under that? I know that their is a seperate fireworks permit but does't low explosives cover those?

Ben

Originally posted by xenon
You want a Type 54 permit, which IRRC is an LEUP

I saw on the form that is has the choice of high explosizv permit, low explosives permit, another type, and fireworks. they are all $100. I wasn't sure if I could check 2 of those off or if a LEUP covered both. I would like a confirmed answer from someone who "knows". :)

Ben

The storage requirements are a bit different for HEMP & I doubt you would be able to obtain a variance to store anything in your garage.....

JD

Originally posted by ben
I saw on the form that is has the choice of high explosizv permit, low explosives permit, another type, and fireworks. they are all $100. I wasn't sure if I could check 2 of those off or if a LEUP covered both. I would like a confirmed answer from someone who "knows". :)

Ben

There is another more detailed thread about this here but essentially per the ATF The permits do not limit your explosives use to a particular class of explosives. If you open the pdf linked above and search for CFR 555.55 you will see an article about this.

On a more practical note - my local ATF agent did not know this was the case. Additionally - the license office called me and requested clarification about my permit application asking if I was applying for High Explosives or Low Explosives permit (My photocopy clearly shows LEUP so I'm not sure why they called).

They still care from an data collection standpoint AND they do not seem to have distributed this info widely inside the agency. In addition, as pointed out Fireworks, Low Explosives, and High Explosives all have slightly different regs and different storage requirements. DO NOT mistakenly assume anything - read the Orange Book and the updates. 'er... I mean, your DAD will need to read these as you will not be allowed to be a licensed user of explosives at your age.

Originally posted by jderimig
Dave, can you point me to a link on that change if you have it handy, it will save me some time in searching for it.

Thanks!

I posted it in my reply to Ben. Click on ATF in the reply. Also the link provided by Dave includes at the bottom a link to this same document on the ATF web site.

Originally posted by jderimig
Dave, can you point me to a link on that change if you have it handy, it will save me some time in searching for it.

Thanks!

There are links on the page I provided for the NPRM, final rule, and ATF newsletter.

What more do you want?

Originally posted by UhClem
There are links on the page I provided for the NPRM, final rule, and ATF newsletter.

What more do you want?

I guess an answer to the question why the ATF sent me a new permit in January 2007 that explicitly says "TYPE 34 Low Explosives Permit", that's all. Probably better answered by my personal field agent.

Latest posts

Back