hypertek rockets and students question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryb

Reaction score
OK,

I need some specific questions about how the Hypertek hybrid systems work in order to answer a question a colllegue of my has raised concerning thier use with student in my district.

It seems that this teacher in another district close to mine is planning on using hypertech hybrid systems for a TARC team he is sponsoring in his district.

My understanding is that they use Nitros Oxide as one of the components of the fuel system? Just how much Nitros Oxide is involved? If anyone knows of a school team that uses these motors, how is the nitros handled and stored in a safe manner.

School districts in Louisiana have a VERY strict and unbending policy when it comes to items that may be used as a drug and or inhalant, and Nitros Oxide is one of the listed substances.

I doubt that I could even legally purchase Nitros Oxide with school district funds and even bring it on school campus, as all of our campuses have been classed as "Safe and Drug Free Zones"

Our list specifically states that "known inhalants" are banned from campuses under the Safe and Drug Free guideline.

Thanks again for any input that anyone can provide on this subject. I am in no way going to violate our district policy for banned substances...and want to provide this other teacher with the correct information, as he has been known to stretch the rules when it comes to rocketry in the past.

Jerryb
Network Administrator
ST. Martin Parish School Board
Breaux Bridge, LA

The Nitrous used in a HyperTEK system is not inhalable like the Dental variety, it is more like racing nitrous. Very nasty stuff.

Nitrous for TARC??! Wow times have changed since the days of the 2-stage closest to 1200ft days.

Johnnie

Originally posted by jerryb
It seems that this teacher in another district close to mine is planning on using hypertech hybrid systems for a TARC team he is sponsoring in his district.
Is this the Team America Rocketry Challenge, or simply TARC-like?
For TARC this year only the model rocket motors listed here - https://www.aia-aerospace.org/aianews/features/team_america/pdf/2007_motors.pdf
were allowed. No hybrids in that list...

As Johnnie pointed out, non-medical N2O has additives that prevent inhalation.

Originally posted by brianc
As Johnnie pointed out, non-medical N2O has additives that prevent inhalation.

I hadn't gotten that far looking into this years TARC team rules, he is probably not going to be able to do it this year anyway. I read that he cannot SPONSOR and MENTOR the same team, which he plans to do.

hmmm... look at what I found in the Louisiana statue code.... Nitros Oxide is illegal to POSSESS in the great state of Louisiana... go figgure... end of discussion... end of hypertek hybrids in Louisiana.. note, NO exception for automotive or rocket use...the link

https://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=98911

Louisiana Revised Statute RS 40:989

§989. Dangerous chemical substances; butyl nitrite, nitrous oxide, and amyl nitrite; use and transference; penalties

A.(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to inhale, ingest, use, or possess any compound, liquid, or chemical which contains butyl nitrite, isobutyl nitrite, secondary butyl nitrite, tertiary butyl nitrite, and mixtures containing butyl nitrite, isobutyl nitrite, secondary butyl nitrite, or tertiary butyl nitrite.

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to inhale, ingest, use, or possess any compound, liquid, or chemical which contains nitrous oxide, commonly known as "laughing gas" and any amyl nitrite, commonly known as "poppers" or "snappers".

(3) The provisions hereof do not apply to the possession and use of these substances prescribed as part of the care or treatment of a disease, condition, or injury by a licensed medical or dental practitioner or to the use as part of a manufacturing process or industrial operation.

(4) The provisions of this Section do not apply to the possession, use, or sale of nitrous oxide as a propellant in food preparation for restaurant, food service, or houseware products.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, buy, sell, or otherwise transfer any substance specified in Subsection A of this Section for the purpose of inducing or aiding any other person to inhale or ingest such substance or otherwise violate the provisions of Subsection A.

C. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

D. Any person who violates any of the provisions of this Section may, in the discretion of the trial judge, be required to participate in an approved drug rehabilitation program, as a condition of probation.

Acts 1988, No. 777, §1, eff. July 18, 1988; Acts 1992, No. 933, §1, eff. July 9, 1992; Acts 1993, No. 500, §1

Originally posted by jerryb
OK,

I need some specific questions about how the Hypertek hybrid systems work in order to answer a question a colllegue of my has raised concerning thier use with student in my district.

It seems that this teacher in another district close to mine is planning on using hypertech hybrid systems for a TAR team he is sponsoring in his district.

My understanding is that they use Nitros Oxide as one of the components of the fuel system? Just how much Nitros Oxide is involved? If anyone knows of a school team that uses these motors, how is the nitros handled and stored in a safe manner.

School districts have a VERY strict and unbending policy when it comes to items that may be used as a drug and or inhalant, and Nitros Oxide is one of the listed substances.

I doubt that I could even legally purchase Nitros Oxide with school district funds and even bring it on school campus, as all of our campuses have been classes as "Safe and Drug Free Zones"

Our list specifically states that "known inhalants" are banned from campuses under the Safe and Drug Free guideline.

Thanks again for any input that anyone can provide on this subject. I am in no way going to violate our district policy for banned substances...and want to provide this other teacher with the correct information, as he has been known to stretch the rules when it comes to rocketry in the past.

Jerryb
Network Administrator
ST. Martin Parish School Board
Breaux Bridge, LA

Jerry,

Yes, they use nitrous as an oxidizer. It is typically obtained, maintained and used with hybrid rocket motors in equipment roughly like that of bottled gas. The amount used is typically measured in terms of cubic centimeters of the rocket's tank, and would be weighed in several ounces to a few pounds. A very few such motors have been built around whipped cream pressurization canisters -- a few ounces. Hyperteks use from a ~300 cc to ~4700 cc tank.

TARC qualifications are already closed. If the students are going to participate, they've already done so, and so have obtained parental consent. The teacher sponsoring the team will have had to obtain the agreement of their supervising principal as being allowed to do so, almost certainly with the knowledge of the details of the team's activities.

No Hypertek motor is on the list of motors approved for TARC flying. No hybrids of any sort are on that list. They require use of electronic recovery systems. These almost invariably use pyrotechnic ejection systems. Handling the pyrotechnic materials require licensing unavailable to minors. They must handle the entire preparation and flight themselves in order to compete in TARC. Even if they have arranged for an alternative recovery system, they're not flying a Hypertek or any other hybrid in TARC flying.

If they're flying outside of TARC, the teacher can, if properly licensed, handle and operate the the equipment legally. Properly licensed includes high power rocketry certification (see https://www.nar.org/hprrocs.html and the links provided), as no Hypertek motor is certified for flying that's less than an I impulse, well in the high power category. If the teacher is properly licensed, then they're capable of overseeing the use of hybrid motors, and know full well what they can let the students participate in, and what they have to do themselves.

Can a school system successfully and legally allow the use of high powered rocketry equipment, in particular hybrid motors and related technology, by secondary students? See page 10:
https://www.aiaa-houston.org/newsletter/sep05/sep05.pdf
Once one overcomes the less informed, default policies and regulations of the governing bodies, by being fully qualified, and conducting one's self as a professional, it is more than possible. The students are prevented from handling those things considered unsafe. That is done by the instructor. However, the students are educated in the proper handling and use.

Overcoming the objections of a school system's policies can difficult, but is not impossible. Adherence to a strict definition of inhalants (https://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/inhalants.html) would require that gasoline powered vehicles (hydrocarbon inhalant of abuse; source of benzene, a carcinogen), especially with air conditioning (freon, inhalant of abuse) be disallowed from entering a campus. Not going to happen. The reasons why these (and WhiteOut, and felt tip markers, etc.) are allowed is because the students are supposedly properly supervised around them.

One should apply the concept of "properly supervised" as is applied in these other situations and gauge the teacher's planned activities by this. If the teacher is not properly licensed and experienced, they cannot legally use a hybrid themselves, much less allow students to engage in the activity. Examining the teacher's credentials in this respect, and then considering whether fully informed consent was obtained, are the first orders of business. If "stretching the rules" includes engaging in activities which they are not properly licensed and trained, then obviously they should not be allowed to engage in those activities within the purview of the school system, or in fact at all, much less involve students.

Fully informed means that the parents were apprised of the fact (if it is such) that the teacher intends to use technology which the students can't handle without contravening the school system's rules, and that they are fully qualified to use, not necessarily that the parents understand the technology itself.

If fully informed consent is obtained and the teacher is fully qualified, the school's legal and ethical liability is moot in allowing the activity to be associated with them, which extends to funding it. Unfortunately, they run the risk of having to prove this to be the case in a legal defense. They will almost certainly wish to avoid the cost of this, and especially of being accused in the first place. Such accusations make headlines, and result in a nearly automatic judgement of guilt in the minds of most of the public that pays their salaries and allows them to keep their jobs (or not). Their decisions will probably come to this, at least in part, whether explicitly or implicitly.

Thanks for the very informative response... i've already answered that question with my last post. your point about the markers and gasoline has been made ad-nauseum here, and that is why the local school board has a dis-allowed, specific list of chemicals that will get you tossed for possession on campus.. and the Nitros is on the list in my district...those basic need items are not on the list..

but your other info and the links will help me properly lobby for high power, or even a low power rocket program in our district.

I am planning on L1 this year, if my health and weather hold out... lol

thanks again.
Jerryb

Originally posted by DynaSoar
Jerry,

Yes, they use nitrous as an oxidizer. It is typically obtained, maintained and used with hybrid rocket motors in equipment roughly like that of bottled gas. The amount used is typically <snip>

Latest posts

Back