Who designed the classic Estes kits??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdooley

Reaction score
The ones still popular today like the Cherokee D, Big Bertha, Goblin, Red Max and Alpha?

Was it one marketing genius or several different people?

according to the Vern Estes interview in the sept/oct 2006 issue of Launch magazine, the Big Bertha was a single engine version offshoot of the 3 motor cluster Ranger model.

in the late 60's designers of Estes model rockets included Gene J. Street,Wayne Kellner,Mike Dorffler, Bill See, Larry Renger and Bill Simon. I would guess that these are are some of the people responsible for some of these designs.

the Big Bertha originally appeared in the April/May 1963 issue of the Estes MRN as Rocket plan #13.

It was kitted in the 1966 Estes catalog #651 as K-23

hth

terry dean
nar 16158

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz

in the late 60's designers of Estes model rockets included Gene J. Street,Wayne Kellner,Mike Dorffler, Bill See, Larry Renger and Bill Simon. I would guess that these are are some of the people responsible for some of these designs.

Who was the fellow sitting at the design desk with all the models around him in the Estes video with William Shatner?

can't say as I don't have that video. anybody know where I can download a copy to look at? I thought I had it but I had a super massive disk crash about a year ago and lost countess photos and videos I had been collecting.

terry dean
nar 16158

Originally posted by dwrunyon
Who was the fellow sitting at the design desk with all the models around him in the Estes video with William Shatner?

Do you mean the other, late 80's Estes promo video? Estes Employee on video

The Shatner video was done by a guy who was a moderate big-wig at Paramount (probably why they could get Shatner to do it!)

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
according to the Vern Estes interview in the sept/oct 2006 issue of Launch magazine, the Big Bertha was a single engine version offshoot of the 3 motor cluster Ranger model.

the Big Bertha originally appeared in the April/May 1963 issue of the Estes MRN as Rocket plan #13.

It was kitted in the 1966 Estes catalog #651 as K-23

hth

terry dean
nar 16158

Several kits came from Estes' Model Rocket News submissions, especially their design contests. There are some issues of MRN and/or MRN plans available at
https://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm
and
https://www.oldrocketplans.com/

I have a big collection of MRN from 1964-1974. I'll have to check with Estes and see if it's OK if I scan and release them.

Nope... it would have to be another one... I never saw SEF, but I have seen him in similar attire somewhere!

Originally posted by dwrunyon
Nope... it would have to be another one... I never saw SEF, but I have seen him in similar attire somewhere!

About Last Night
Youngblood

Back