G25?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicious-peanut

Reaction score
Is it still around? It seems like great little motor for sending a small 29mm way way up there.

Andrew

Unfortunately, no.

I have one left, and I'm saving it to fly sometime - I LOVE those motors though. Wonderful long burns...

Aww, too bad. :( The G33 is a nice medium burn, but you have to have a LEUP to buy it. Although that shouldnt matter for me soon (hopefully). :D

G25 is cool. But the G55 was even better. Possibly the best G motor to have been made.

Depends on what you're looking for...

As awesome as the G55 was, it couldn't match the G25 for the awesome long burn. I'm not saying for altitude - just for visual impact - it's awesome to see a rocket with a G burn out 2000 feet or more in the sky.

Originally posted by cjl
Depends on what you're looking for...

As awesome as the G55 was, it couldn't match the G25 for the awesome long burn. I'm not saying for altitude - just for visual impact - it's awesome to see a rocket with a G burn out 2000 feet or more in the sky.

Gotta agree with you there. As far as mid-powered Aerotech SU motors go, the G25 was my favorite :D , with the G40 and original G80 not far behind. :cool:

Im an altitude junkie so for my love the G55 is as good as they get. its a Full G with a longer burn and lots of power as far as G motors are concerned. Hard to beat what you get out of them and they are 24mm motors so great for smaller rockets even.

whoops hit the wrong button. that is correct. 24mm sorry meant to say 24mm while most all others were 29mm.

Yeah, but there's now a (38mm admittedly) G339. Certainly a fast G :D

First MPR/HPR motor I flew was a Vulcan. Great stuff. As the W9 even in the G is fast and all. Fast motors that just give it all up all at once aren't a big thrill for me either. Again coming from someone who likes altitude most W9 loads and ultra fast variants aren't of course really designed to get your rocket to uber high altitudes. If I had the choice though I would love to fly the vulcan stuff again. Fun motors during their time one of the things that really sparked HPR rocketry for me.

Originally posted by Syclone
I really miss the old Vulcan 24mm G200. Now that was a fun G motor!

I have to agree with cjl, I love long burners for the altitude, the G25 in particular. Plus, it came in a 15 second delay. You can't find delays that long anymore in a mid-power motor. That's really putting a crimp in altitude record attempts.

I've got two 24mm AT G110-10s just waiting for an ARSA backed or independent launch (they're several years OOP and not getting clearance for the NAR OOP testing program). I've got a 24mm carbon over paper and ply bird that'd handle the Mach 1.1, 25g power of the G110-10. But it'd pop at 285 fps. It'd need a 19 second delay to eject at apogee, 1000' higher.

But a G25-15? The long burn and long delay would put it over 8000', 1700' higher than the G110-10, and topping even the TRA record. The lower speed would let it pop at a survivable 70 fps. But good luck finding something 1" diameter and 16" long after throwing it a mile and a half straight up.

Originally posted by Vicious-Peanut
Is it still around? It seems like great little motor for sending a small 29mm way way up there.

Andrew

Probably my favorite 29mm motor of all time! An awesome motor for an Aerotech Arcas in the 5-second delay. I tried an Ellis G20-3 at orangeburg in my Arcas last month, and it just doesn't have quite enough punch to get it going fast enough (whereas the G25 did!).

I liked the G55 as well, but my only flight with them was an ill-fated cluster of 4 G55's in a shortened Viper-IV (Stumpy's Last Stand!). Very impressive, but alas Stumpy was never recovered :(.

-Rick

Originally posted by Rick Lindsey
Probably my favorite 29mm motor of all time! An awesome motor for an Aerotech Arcas in the 5-second delay. I tried an Ellis G20-3 at orangeburg in my Arcas last month, and it just doesn't have quite enough punch to get it going fast enough (whereas the G25 did!).

-Rick

I love the G20 Ellis motors - but I'm flying them in lighter rockets or in spools. In one style of spool the rocket climbs stable and then as the motor tapers off but is still thrusting it goes unstable and spins/hangs in the air before falling. It's a wonderful happy accident that this behaves this way. I've had cheers from the crowds on all three occasions of flying this combination of spool and motor.

Originally posted by uncle_vanya
I love the G20 Ellis motors - but I'm flying them in lighter rockets or in spools. In one style of spool the rocket climbs stable and then as the motor tapers off but is still thrusting it goes unstable and spins/hangs in the air before falling. It's a wonderful happy accident that this behaves this way. I've had cheers from the crowds on all three occasions of flying this combination of spool and motor.

I agree entirely that the Ellis G20 is wonderful for spools. One of my few regrets about rocketry was an ill-fated decision to attempt to fly an I in my favorite G20 spool, and the force of the air resistance nearly ripped it apart, but left it unrepairable. One of these days I'll build another!

I know some people have had problems with EM motors in the past, but I have never had a G20 do anything less than make an outstanding flight.

WW

Alas, I haven't even seen a G25 flight. I have had a few G110's though. It was basically a motor with fins which simmed to about 8,000'. I'm sure the second one reached it as the delay was a but longer than normal, but the first most likely only got to 6 or 7k.

At the Florida Winter Nationals I sent up a 2-stager. It was an Ellis G37 staged to an E9. Simmed to over 9k. Slight problem as it would have staged 10 seconds after G37 burnout but in reality staged around 16 seconds. The sustainer's exhaust could be seen steaking westward towards Bellglade....

I've flown 1 G25 and sadly the rocket went unstable and crashed.. and while the delay was still burning my sister went running up to it as I was shouting to her not to.. and when she was about 5 feet away the body shot up while the nose stayed in the ground. No little sisters were harmed in the flying of that rocket.

But I still have 1 G25-15 left, I broke the nose on my last disposable 29mm rocket (it had a 18" x-form 'chute' with about a cup of talc inside) but if I get off my lazy butt to make another nose, I'll put it in that one.. built a tower launcher for it and everything.. it really smoked on the G125.

Or... I might put it in a min diameter 2 stage rocket, perfect motor for that as well.

Back