Radio Talk Show and Model Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tquigg

Reaction score
Hi All:

Our NAR Section has been asked by the National Weather Service office in Pendleton, OR to attend their two day open house in May to provide a static model rocketry display as well as live launch/flight demonstrations for school and college kids that are being bussed in from the area and region.

I have also been asked to be a featured guest the weekend before at a local talk show radio program "The Coffee Hour" to talk about model rocketry, our rocketry group, and the demonstration we have planned. The weekend of the open house there will also be TV stations there grabbing video footage for their evening news casts.

My question is, has anyone ever been on radio before that can give me a few pointers? Having been an emergency services dispatcher for 26 years, I'm by no means shy about talking over a radio. Just curious as to what to expect?

By the way, it will be KUMA radio out of Pendleton, OR, 1290 AM.

Best Regards

don't say umm alot ;) That is what the guy down the street said. He is a radio anouncer for the races.

Ben

Originally posted by ben
don't say umm alot
And the way to avoid that is to be prepared. Try to "interview your interviewer": Find out what questions he plans to ask you, or at least what topics he'd like to discuss. This is especially important if you're on for the whole hour. I'm sure he doesn't want to get on the air and not have some kind of "agenda" that he wants to talk to you about, so get a copy of his agenda, get your answers at least partially scripted, and you'll be fine.

And relax. Try not to repeat yourself. And let your enthusiasm shine through.

Back