Flight controller -Electrical checking

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by basil4j

1) Does the cont test op-amp bit, get its voltage reading from what is effectively a voltage divider with R1 being the 47K resistors I circled in the diagram, and R2 being the load/ignitors?
yes. The R1:R2 ratio must be large to keep current low through the igniter, but this will also lower the differential voltage into the op amp. You need to find a good ratio where you're amplifier can accurately measure the voltage but there is not a lot of current through the igniter.
2) Also, the safe/arm switch. What is the purpose of the 1k resistor? It looks as though it allows a constant, but limited, current to flow through for the cont test. It is obviously bypassed when the arm switch is armed.
Yes, it allows the continuity tests to work while it's disarmed.
3) Last question :) How would the safe/arm input going to the MCU ever go high?
If the arm switch is off, then the MCU input would be grounded by the 1k resistor, as the resistance to +9v is a fair bit higher. If the arm switch is on, then it would be a direct ground and hence no change.
it won't with those resistor values. this gets sort of complicated... for the input to go high, the voltage over that resistor (call it R1) will have to go above the Vh of the MCU inputs (obviously). This will be:
Vin = 9(R1)/(R1+Req)
where Req is the parallel resistance between the three resistors circled in your picture (call them R2). Therefore, if you want Vin to be 3V, then R1 should be half of Req. however, to make it more complicated, Req will change depending on how many igniters are plugged in (more igniters means smaller Req).

Also, you should add a high resistance in front of the safe/arm input. Something in the megaohms. This will protect the mcu from overvoltage if the mosfets fire while unarmed.

so here's a "quick" way to figure it out:
define R1 as the 1K resistor at the bottom
R2 is the value of the three circled resistors
RL is the resistance of the loads
Req is the equivilant resistance of all R2 and RL

So, here are your requirements. The values for max load current and minimum load voltage are assumed. you'll have to find them or decide them, along with your minimum input high voltage, yourself.
Vin < 3.0 (input voltage can't go above 3 volts)
Vmin < Vin (input voltage, when unarmed, must be greater than minimum input high voltage)
IL < 3.0ma (load current must always be less than 3ma)
0.5mv < VL (load voltage must be greater than 0.5 millivolt to read continuity)

IL = 9 / (R2 + R1 +RL) when unarmed
so 9 / (R2 + R1 + RL) > 0.5 ma
IL = 9 / (R2 + RL) when armed
so 9 / (R2 + RL) < 3.0 ma

Vin = 9 (R1) / (R1 + Req)
with one igniter attached, Req = R2 +RL
with three igniters attached, Req = (R2 + RL)/3
so 9 (R1) / (R1 + R2 + RL) > Vmin
and 9 (R1) / (R1 + (R2 + RL)/3) < 3.0

So you need to find values that satisfy these requirements. I don't know if there is a solution. I don't have time right now to work it out.

Also, read the end of my last post if you didn't already.

Also, even if you want to eventually make the jump to 3 axes of acceleration, I don't recommend the 278. This is because it works out much nicer to use one Hi-g single axis sensor for your vertical direction and a second low G 2 axis sensor for the X and Y. Three axis sensors are very limited in variety, and I doubt one exists that fits this application. Stick with the ADXL78 for now, then adding on the other axes is a matter of adding a second cheap sensor instead of replacing it with a much more expensive (and less precise on the X and Y axes) sensor.

I came to that exact same conclusion :) Am using the ADXL78. It also keeps the board less cluttered.

Thanks for those answers. Ill take a good look at it on my lunch break :)

Hello :)

I think I have it!

R1=1K
R2 resistors =3K3 each

This assumes:
RL = 2ohms. (resistance of ematches)

IL > 0.0005A when unarmed (See my question about this one below)
IL < 0.01A when armed (max test current for pyro's, I think this is what you were refering to?)
Vin > 1.9V (Vhmin on MCU pins)
Vin < 3.0V (Vmax on MCU pins)

This gives me results of
IL unarmed = 0.00209... OK
IL armed = 0.002725....OK
Vin(1 pyro) = 2.09205....OK
Vin(3 pyro) = 4.28299...Not ok, but im sure I can fix this with a series resistor :)

Also, when you say 9(R1) in your equations, I assumed you meant 9R1? (9*R1)
Different way of writing things where I was taught I think :)

Allllso...
0.5mv < VL (load voltage must be greater than 0.5 millivolt to read continuity)

IL = 9 / (R2 + R1 + RL) > 0.5 ma

Where these statments refering to the same thing? I got a bit confused...

Also, when you say 9(R1) in your equations, I assumed you meant 9R1? (9*R1)
Correct.
Where these statments refering to the same thing? I got a bit confused...
When I wrote that, I was kind of assuming RL was one ohm in my head... so if you go by the parameter VL> 0.5 mv, then the equation should instead be:
9*RL / (RL + R1 + R2) > 0.5 mv

Originally posted by mtwieg
When I wrote that, I was kind of assuming RL was one ohm in my head... so if you go by the parameter VL> 0.5 mv, then the equation should instead be:
9*RL / (RL + R1 + R2) > 0.5 mv

Welcome back :)

Ok then my results will still work! Woohoo!

Someone else threw me the idea of instead of using an op amp for each signal, one could use a single op amp with an analog multiplexer selecting its inputs. This would be efficient if you wanted to measure a lot of voltages with the same gain. So instead of maybe 6 six precision op amps each with their own resistors and each needing an input pin, you would just need one op amp with resistors plus the multiplexer and one input and three outputs (to select the input). But if it's only 3, it's probably not worth it. I'm not sure how an analog switch would handle such low voltages either, though many of them claim to operate rail to rail. They also get expensive. Something like the MAX4582ESE might be a good compromise.

Also, if the space of discrete components is getting big, consider resistor arrays. They are cheap as dirt (like 4 cents for a 4 X 0603 package) and tiny. They will not be precise, though, so you shouldn't use them to replace some resistors (like gain resistors).

Someone else threw me the idea of instead of using an op amp for each signal, one could use a single op amp with an analog multiplexer selecting its inputs. This would be efficient if you wanted to measure a lot of voltages with the same gain. So instead of maybe 6 six precision op amps each with their own resistors and each needing an input pin, you would just need one op amp with resistors plus the multiplexer and one input and three outputs (to select the input). But if it's only 3, it's probably not worth it. I'm not sure how an analog switch would handle such low voltages either, though many of them claim to operate rail to rail. They also get expensive. Something like the MAX4582ESE might be a good compromise.

Also, if the space of discrete components is getting big, consider resistor arrays. They are cheap as dirt (like 4 cents for a 4 X 0603 package) and tiny. They will not be precise, though, so you shouldn't use them to replace some resistors (like gain resistors).

Hmmm interesting idea.

The way I have laid out my op-amps, they take up about the same space length wise as the ADC, and about twice the width, so as you rightly guessed, its probably not worth it in this case :) I am using 3x OP777 (1 op-amp package) with a bunch of resistors.
I have been trying to use the OP747 (4 op-amp package) but am having difficulty with track layout as I am trying not to run many tracks under the component. Might give it another go though :)

This is sorta an off-topic question, but what does a transistor do? I understand a bit about electronics, but I still still don't get what a transistor is.
Thanks!

I have been trying to use the OP747 (4 op-amp package) but am having difficulty with track layout as I am trying not to run many tracks under the component. Might give it another go though :)
Don’t worry about the tracks under the component. As long as you don’t mix up things like high speed databusses or switched power lanes with sensitive analog circuits, you shouldn’t experience any problems. If I understand you correctly, you don’t intend to measure the resistance of the igniter very precisely, so its even less critical. If youre interested in single opamps, with a smaller footprint, look out for devices in the SOT 23-5 (or -6) package. The SC-70 package is even smaller, but I guess it may be nasty to solder. Unfortunatly, you are looking for a very special OPA (low Vos, R2R Input, Vsupply >5V), so there is only a limited selection available. The best one, that I found is the LMP7701, but its input offset is higher (200µV). Therefore, the sensing current should be at least in the region of about 1mA.

Originally posted by ghost
This is sorta an off-topic question, but what does a transistor do? I understand a bit about electronics, but I still still don't get what a transistor is.
Thanks!
A transistor is a simple semiconductor amplifier. It transforms a small input current (or voltage in case of a FET) into a bigger output current. If the input signal is increased, it acts more like a switch, because the output current is then limited by other parts of the circuit (if not, the transistor can be considered a mini smoke bomb ;) ).

More information can be found in the Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor

Reinhard

Originally posted by Reinhard
Don’t worry about the tracks under the component. As long as you don’t mix up things like high speed databusses or switched power lanes with sensitive analog circuits, you shouldn’t experience any problems. If I understand you correctly, you don’t intend to measure the resistance of the igniter very precisely, so its even less critical. If youre interested in single opamps, with a smaller footprint, look out for devices in the SOT 23-5 (or -6) package. The SC-70 package is even smaller, but I guess it may be nasty to solder. Unfortunatly, you are looking for a very special OPA (low Vos, R2R Input, Vsupply >5V), so there is only a limited selection available. The best one, that I found is the LMP7701, but its input offset is higher (200µV). Therefore, the sensing current should be at least in the region of about 1mA.
Good points. I think the inputs to the FETs would qualify as sensitive analog traces though, since any noise will effect the outputs significantly. However, you could get around this by just having the ADC sample and average a bunch several times to attenuate its effect. I wouldn't be too worried about interference with the continuity checkers. The sensor outputs, MOSFET gates, and power supplies should be your biggest concerns.

As for the op amps, the OP7xx series is really the only reasonably part I could find. A quad TSSOP package for <$6 with very low quiescent current and offset is about as good as it gets.
A transistor is a simple semiconductor amplifier. It transforms a small input current (or voltage in case of a FET) into a bigger output current. If the input signal is increased, it acts more like a switch, because the output current is then limited by other parts of the circuit (if not, the transistor can be considered a mini smoke bomb ;) ).

More information can be found in the Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor

Reinhard
Ugh, I remember when I first dived into electronics alone... transistors completely eluded me. There are so many ways to model them that I was constantly confused. I think I burned about two packs of radioshack transistors before realizing that it was a good idea to put limiting resistors on them :rolleyes:

As for the op amps, the OP7xx series is really the only reasonably part I could find. A quad TSSOP package for <$6 with very low quiescent current and offset is about as good as it gets.:D

Yeah, Ive been trying to find a smaller alternative but had no luck. I think Ill stick with the OP777, its not too much of a problem now as I have decided to mount some components on the bottom layer to relieve some board space pressures.

(if not, the transistor can be considered a mini smoke bomb ;) ).

Just a smoke bomb? I got some shrapnel in my eye once from an exploding transistor :) That'll teach me for trying to see how quickly I could blow one up

Good points. I think the inputs to the FETs would qualify as sensitive analog traces though, since any noise will effect the outputs significantly. However, you could get around this by just having the ADC sample and average a bunch several times to attenuate its effect. I wouldn't be too worried about interference with the continuity checkers. The sensor outputs, MOSFET gates, and power supplies should be your biggest concerns.

With regards to laying the tracks to the FET via the little transistors, should I keep the track width fatter than normal signal? The run will be about 1, maybe 2" long from the MCU to the transistors, and about 0.5" to the FET. My normal track width for signal is 12mil.

It does not pass under any components on the same layer.

Back