Thinking about a Delta Wedge upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasein668

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm toying with the idea of upscaling the Estes Delta Wedge, and I'd like to solicit some input on a few things. I'm thinking that a x2.2 scale should be good, going from the BT-20 sized central airframe tube up to BT-60 and making the thing about 3 feet long by 18 inches or so wide.

First, I'm not clear on whether or not this can even be modeled in Rocksim. I am sure I don't know how! The original model needed noseweight, so I suspect that the upscale will too and probably more than the original. Does anyone have any tips on how to calculate at least an approximate center of pressure for this thing? I'm not sure how well it will swing-test!

Secondly, how much power do people think this thing will need to overcome it's drag? Would a 5:1 thrust to weight ratio still be appropriate as a guideline for this?

Thirdly, my first thought for the "wedge" would be to use 8 ply matboard. The original doesn't have any reinforcing "ribs" inside. Anyone here work with Crescent board, or other mat board for this sort of thing? Do you think I should add some additional support? Or should I be considering some other material?

Thanks for any input!

I've been considering doing this same thing myself. Make the fins hollow with a couple for ribs in the middle for support and foam fill the rest. Then drill a hole thru the fin for lug attachment. I was thinking of making a 4x version. I will be interested to see how this comes out.

I hadn't thought of foaming. That could be good.

I think I'm just going to dive into this and see what happens.

Back