A Question for ScrapDaddy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I ask this, based on the various questions I see you posting, as I think it's something that would benefit you tremendously, provide you a lot of knowledge, and give you a handy reference or two...

Have you read either The Handbook of Model Rocketry or Modern High Power Rocketry?

If not, I'd highly encourage you to pick up both books and read them -- you'll find a ton of information in them, as well as the answers to many of your questions. They're a valuable resource, even for experienced builders.

-Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
The Handbook of Model Rocketry was one of my first purchases when getting back into the hobby.

I actually read it cover to cover, and still refer to it constantly!

Last edited:
Isn't what this forum is for so we can learn in this technology age?

Yes, the forum is to help share knowledge and learn. However, it is not meant to replace books such as Kevin mentioned above - they are an excellent place to gain basic knowledge. The forum is meant to augment that basic knowledge with the experience of a wide range of rocketeers.

Actually, I think the forums are mainly for venting against Caesar and Roman expansion into Gaul.

Actually, I think the forums are mainly for venting against Caesar and Roman expansion into Gaul.

Mind your declensions! The fora are mainly for venting against Caesar and Roman expansion into Gaul.

The forums are for venting about everything else!

Last edited:
Mind your declensions! The fora are mainly for venting against Caesar and Roman expansion into Gaul.

The forums are for venting about everything else!

Holy Bizzaro Superman! Mea culpa...

Wait, they didn't speak Latin, they spoke Shakespearean English! I saw it in on BBC!

Where is he? I have to go out in twenty minutes and I so want to see the reply.
:pop:

Guys, let's be nice -- my question is a legitimate effort to help guide someone who's obviously enthusiastic about rocketry.

-Kevin

I think Kevin has some excellent advice. I mean, 750 posts in 2 months is a bit much. The handbook is an outstanding read for anyone interested in the hobby. Making the members of this forum essentially rewrite the handbook in 25 different threads on this forum is not a very efficient way to get the info.

Scrap,

I'm coming back into this once again.
I got myself a copy of Modern High Power Rocketry-2.

Good reading, lots of info and ideas, and when my brain is tired I just look at the pictures:D

My 2 cents, each thread is a conversation of sorts.
If someone were to steal or "hijack" the current conversation it may be annoying.
Stay with the thread topic and chime in when appropriate.

All is good, see ya around.

Wm.

Scrap,

I'm coming back into this once again.
I got myself a copy of Modern High Power Rocketry-2.

Good reading, lots of info and ideas, and when my brain is tired I just look at the pictures:D

My 2 cents, each thread is a conversation of sorts.
If someone were to steal or "hijack" the current conversation it may be annoying.
Stay with the thread topic and chime in when appropriate.

All is good, see ya around.

Wm.

Right now I have 3 things to say:

#1 awww a thread about me!
#2 I placed an order for one on eBay, but I never recieved it.
#3Sorry To the TRF'ers who run into my threads

Sorry guys for asking all of these questions that will not be a use to me for a forseable time, I'm tied up with the Delta IV rocket that's coming in soon and the rebuild or my Super- roc, my Fat-Boy model, my supersized heli roc, my ominous rocket that I have dubbed "tank ammunition".... Anyway sorry again for all of this...erm...."displeasured annoyence" I have created, I am just a firm believer in the "do things right the first time(it's cheaper)) but apperently the proper way to learn is "make a mistake and ask what went wrong" this senereo this reminds me of when I was on an online world called "evony" I told all the members of my allience to send me food, supplys... Blah blah blah,anyway they got annoyed with my constant asking for reasources (here on TRF it's info)well if you've maneged to read through all this mumbling then here is your reward, I herebly pledge to not start anythreads unless the info can be used at the time of constuction. Which reminds me keep an eye out for my first build thread which will be under MPR

best of wishes,
Monty yup that's my name but I like being called scrapdaddy

Well the battle of Alesia certainly was intresting, if vercengeterix (hard to spell) kept harrassing ceasar with his calvery then the romans would never have finished the second wall..... And the romans never conquered Gaul, they simply supressed them.

#2 I placed an order for one on eBay, but I never recieved it.

Good to hear you're pursued getting a copy.

If your eBay purchase doesn't come through, head over to Amazon. Both books are very reasonably priced, and you'll find them incredibly useful to you over the years. Seriously.

I bought my first copy of The Handbook of Model Rocketry when I was about 30, and had built rockets for years. I still learned stuff from it.

Mark Canepa's book is also an incredible resource.

-Kevin

Good to hear you're pursued getting a copy.

If your eBay purchase doesn't come through, head over to Amazon. Both books are very reasonably priced, and you'll find them incredibly useful to you over the years. Seriously.

I bought my first copy of The Handbook of Model Rocketry when I was about 30, and had built rockets for years. I still learned stuff from it.

Mark Canepa's book is also an incredible resource.

-Kevin

What attracted me to the eBay one was the cost only 7cents

What attracted me to the eBay one was the cost only 7cents

You'll often find, as you already have from the sounds of it, that a price that's "too good to be true" really is.

It'd be worth checking your local library to see if they have a copy. Some do, many do not, but it doesn't hurt to check.

-Kevin

You'll often find, as you already have from the sounds of it, that a price that's "too good to be true" really is.

It'd be worth checking your local library to see if they have a copy. Some do, many do not, but it doesn't hurt to check.

-Kevin

Well I have learned lots of stuff on TRF and here are my excuses for my stupid questions one TRF that I start every now and then,

#1 there were some of these pointless questions on the Archive so I wanted to recreate that
#2 I am asking these questions so you won't have to answer them later, someone was bound to answer them sometime
#3 Granted Most TRF'ers are far more experienced than Me but I do know the very basic stuff(plus a whole wad of useless stuff)
#4 all of my threads no matter how stupid the question may seem, has a project behind it, remember "clustering stages" or "how to paunch a 15ft super-roc" one of my more recent schemes inclueded "how to fiberglass an airframe"out of all of these threads came a design granted some may not make it off the drawing board.......:2:

BTW, Scrap, something I'd like to add...

Everyone here sees that you have a tremendous amount of enthusiasm, and the last thing we want to do is dampen that. But, at the same time, you're diving in head first, and going a bit fast.

My goal with the book recommendation is to do two things... 1) Foster the enthusiasm, by giving you resources that will help you learn. 2) Slow you down a bit, by giving you a reading assignment, and help get you moving at a sustainable pace.

The goal of getting you to take a step back, take a deep breath, and come at it at a more measured pace isn't something that's unique to you. Someone else here has been told he needs to do the same thing, several times.

Keep up the enthusiasm -- it's great to see. But let's get you moving at a pace where you won't burn out or get frustrated.

-Kevin

I can still remember Bens 75mm deuce on the archive :roll: good times :D I do need to slow down a bit, thought the acctually cost is doing quite well on it's own :D

I can still remember Bens 75mm deuce on the archive :rolling: good times :D I do need to slow down a bit, thought the acctually cost is doing quite well on it's own :D

That's where the book will help -- in the long run, you will save money due to what the book will teach you.

-Kevin

I can tell you guys that I have learned a bunch from reading on scrapdaddy's threads. There are some things unsearchable that I've ran into because my terms were three characters like "rod" and others.

I can tell you guys that I have learned a bunch from reading on scrapdaddy's threads. There are some things unsearchable that I've ran into because my terms were three characters like "rod" and others.

There probably have been some gems of info in the threads started by Scrapdaddy but after the heap of pointless threads (the "the" thread for instance) i stopped reading most of the threads.

Last edited:
Hey Scrap,,,

Don't take this the wrong way,,,, but you don't know what you don't know. AND when you get to be my age you forget stuff, like using a deployment bag. I got out of the hobby for about 5 years,, new daughter,, work ect. I remembered how to rig the bag with the NC on its own chute,, but not tethered, I completely went blank. I had to look it up,, yes it is very simple,, but I totally brain farted.

Stuff that someone else might think of as "basic knowledge" you might have never dreamed of.

Keep at it!!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back