My kits, sorry long post

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For only being in a year (back then) you have done a fantastic job of bringing history to the present.
My hat's off to you sir.
I do to have a collection, not as vast...
But I try and get 3 or 4 of the same kit.
One for each of my 2 son's (gotta leave them something when I'm gone), one for me to build and fly, and possibly for my own personal collection.
Although the last 2 years have yielded little due to no funds. I always keep up ebay's availability and average costs.
Someday...soon I hope, SSDI will be approved and I can do some catching up with that one big lump sum at the start.
That's a small fortune, it is well advised to make sure they are covered under your home owner's or renter's insurance.

I just got back into rocket models last June/July. I had some old rockets when I was a kid from the early Eighties, but most of these I have collected in the last year. I post pictures of my completed kits in bags, but I have a lot more that have collected that are not in bags and not in great condition. I have put out a lot of feelers to thrift stores, swap meet sellers and people on Ebay. They contact me before selling stuff. A lot of times they have incomplete kits, I see what they are and if decals and plastic parts are there I buy it. My dad collects comics so he has tought me a lot. I have a lot of rockets I want to build, so that is why I have a rule not to start a rocket until I finish one. I don't spend much time on building a rocket. Here is a list of my imcomplete kits and the kits I still want.
Imcomplete:
Raven, Scout III, Hercules, Star rider, Alien Space probe, Polaris, Gamma, Condor, Wolverine, 5 of the Goony rockets, Vigilante, Patriot (built) Vigilante, Delta Star, Renegade"decal and Nose only", Cherokee, I think Maxi Alpha" Have decal, nose, fins, parachute, Bt-52, no other body tubes. Sprint"poor condition", Mulit rock, Cougar, Astro Bee, The bat" built minus decals" Maverick, Stinger, Comet, Skybolt"no decal", Orion, Pegasus, Wasp.
Kits I want:
Der Big Red Max, Challenger I, Maxi Brute X-wing, Bomarc, Colossus, Interceptor, Cyclone.

collection001.jpg

collection002.jpg

collection003.jpg

So it looks like you haven't purchase anything from Estes in at least the last 10 years since I don't see any new packaging.

John Boren

I have about 110 rockets now (roughly 65 assembled and flying, roughly 45 new and still in the package) and I am starting to collect an assortment of spare parts. Yet my collection is no match for yours.

I am not worthy...!!!

Wow, 10 years, where has the time gone? Since those pictures I have collected a lot more vintage Estes rockets and some Centuri rockets as well. I keep plugging along trying to get to all of them, and someday most of my collection will be built. I am like most people with a life, full time job and family so building goes slow at times. If all goes well, I should be retired in the next 7 years, depending on the cost of health insurance. I try to keep my builds simple with a fine balance of making these vintage builds look good but definitely not show room quality like some builds I see here. I don't modify the builds, I don't fill spirals except for with the coat or 2 of primer takes care of and I brush on fast drying Balsa sealer that sands easy. I also use Krylon acryli quik spray paint and bam I am done. No sanding or clear coats on my top coats just decals. Over the last few months I have been trying to practice with FNF so when I am at work I can fill the balsa, that would really speed up my builds. So far I have not mastered the FNF but I am plugging away at it. John, 10 years ago Estes did not really have any kits I wanted so that is why you don't see them. I now have most if not all the new Estes LPR kits that have been put out and I am slowly plugging away at them. I'm not into the larger Estes rockets except the Interceptor E and Mega Der Red Max. I have a Puma kit that I will be building on my vacation next week.

Back