CO2 Cartridge Dimensions???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
Anyone have the dimensions for different CO2 cartridges?
8 g, 16 g, 25 g, and 38 g.
Been taking a machining "familiarization" type of class and am tossing around the idea of coming up with a CO2 deployment system just to see if I can do it.
And obviously, knowing the dimensions would help a great deal.
Specifically looking for diameters and length.
Thanks.

Greg

Yeah, I know that.
I don't want to buy one, I want to try to make one.
And thinking about one that is non-pyro.
I know the threads are 3/8"x24 NF but still need the diameters and lengths.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to go dig 1 out and messure it.

you could stop at wal mart or most any store with a sporting goods department and a a box of 5 for a couple of bucks. Then you have some to experment with.;)

The 12 gram is 3-1/4 long and 49/64 diameter.

The 16 gram is 3-1/2 long and 27/32 diameter.

FWIW, I got these from Rouse Tech.

Thanks Jim, thats a good start.
Adam, yeah I could do that but those are almost always the 12 g version and I wouldn't get the other sizes from them.
Also, what I'm looking at will require the cartridges with threaded ends.

I've thought about doing a non-pyro CO2 system as well. One idea would be to modify a Rouse-Tech system to use a spring in place of the black powder charge. The compressed spring could be held in place by a small pin, which would be pulled out by an actuator at ejection time.

Another cheaper solution would be to modify a mouse trap so that it could be triggered by an acuator. The end of the mouse trap would have a sharp pin attached to it that would pierce the CO2 cartridge. I haven't tried either idea, but I think they would work.

I've have no experience with CO2 cartridges, but I have done some research on the Internet. From what I can tell, CO2 cartridges used with air rifles contain a lubricating oil, which probably wouldn't be nice to have in the chute compartment. There are CO2 cartridges for food use that don't have oil. Another use for CO2 cartridges is to inflate bicycle tires. I don't know the purity of those cartridges.

I'm interested in information anyone may have on non-pyro CO2 ejection systems.

Dave

Dave-
Like I said, I'm just kicking around the idea right now and have a couple of ideas on how to pierce the cartridge cap but not really on how to activate it.
Plenty of time this week to "thought engineer" it as I've been home almost a week with a nasty case of bronchitis that I seem not to be able to shake.
I had not heard about lube in the CO2 and while it does seem like something one may not want in the recovery compartment, I'm not thinking it would be that much if at all worse than the BP residue.

Too bad that 85 gram N2O Cartridge weighed so much. An easy hybrid option there.

Edward

One thing I thought might be of interest is you can get the 'Big Air' Cyclinder with CO2 and not propane like is listed on the Genuine Innovations website. Example: here.

These are nice since they have the same threading as the smaller sizes.

Back