LL Electronics - Rocket Recovery Transmitters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a receiver that can handle both 216 and 223 bands? I've looked around and haven't seen anything that would ( that's under $1000)

JD

FWIW an all-mode receive THF6A might fill the bill. I did some preliminary testing with one with a Com-Spec transmitter I believe in SSB-hi mode (or perhaps CW) and it worked O.K. I didn't do any long range testing though.
Perhaps another Ham could confirm how well an F6A worked with real testing. https://www.kenwoodusa.com/communications/amateur_radio/portables/th-f6a

It's $289.00 on a cursory search here: https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/TH-F6A-p855.htm

Now, you might say, "I'm not a license Ham." Well................. I got my first H/T an ICOM T-90A brand new from a dealer by mentioning I was studying for the exam (which was true) Now if you don't care to get a license, the F6A can be programmed
to lockout the PTT/transmit button. Did the same thing with my T-90A. I listened for a year, got licensed then joined in the local net when my call appeared in the online database.

There is nothing against the law of having ham equipment, just don't transmit on it without a callsign. You can listen all you want. There are some all mode receive only units out there with better decode circuits but they cost as much or more as the manufacturer's purpose made receivers so no gain there. I had made the mistake of getting a 1.25m FM Alinco DJ-296 and that obviously didn't work with the 200Mhz trackers that use a different mode.

I'd wait JD and see if anyone has done some real world RDF rocket tracking with an F6A before springing the trap on one. I was working up to doing it but I switched mid-stream to GPS/APRS tracking instead. The F6A will work with Beeline RDF trackers and it does have a TRUE signal strength meter as opposed to "signal on" "signal off" light on the cheap imports. Kurt

Is there a receiver that can handle both 216 and 223 bands? I've looked around and haven't seen anything that would ( that's under $1000)

JD

The MNS 4000 would be great for you www.radiotracking.com/receivers/mns-4000 , we can add the additional bands to give you continuous coverage from 216 all the way through 223 bands. We do accommodate many special requests and are constantly designing new things for special applications, they just don't all make it to the website! If you want to send an email to [email protected] we can get you all the particulars.

The big problem with spanning too many MHz is that any highly sensitive receiver is center tuned for coverage at a certain frequency and you will slowly lose range for every 1 Megahertz you go away from that center band. This also applies to the antenna which will be made for a certain frequency just due to the laws of physics. But in practice you will only see these affects at long distances.

Any of the scanner type and programmable receivers out there just aren't as sensitive as the receivers made specifically for the task of RF direction finding using pulsed CW transmitters, they are made for picking up high power transmissions from radio stations or other HAM users. This means that they work for tracking transmitters if you add a directional antenna, but you aren't going to get nearly the range or accuracy. I like to say that the receivers we make are finely tuned instruments, not just radios with directional antennas.

Also as an aside, the full size yagi is superior in performance to any of the downsized directional antennas out there, and anytime you stick a metal chunk between the elements of a directional antenna you will get all kinds of ill effects, including extra noise and possible misdirections.

-Louis

Last edited:
The MNS 4000 really looks like a great machine. I have one of their receivers and it performs better than the COM-SPEC. I like both and use both, but my MNS will pick up Com-Spec and LL trackers. Even thought they bother cover 222 mhz, but I can not say the same about the Com-Spec receiver.

Just ordered a new transmitter from them. They have a sale trough the end of April. Their size is smaller than the one I currently use. I almost lost a rocket this weekend that my current transmitter would not fit with the other electronics I had in it. Thanks Chuck for helping me find it.

Has anyone used one of these transmitters with a Walston receiver? I need a transmitter, but do not have money to replace the receiver at the moment.

Also, I would assume it is just a matter of having them set it to a particular frequency?

Last edited:
Has anyone used one of these transmitters with a Walston receiver? I need a transmitter, but do not have money to replace the receiver at the moment.

We have more than a few customers using our transmitters with other receivers including Walston. In fact I just finished one for a customer using a Walston and shipped it today. All we need to know is the frequency range and channel you need.

-Louis

Louis, I am looking at your site and have a couple other questions. Looking at the XLF 6v.

First, the antenna options. Is the loaded antenna actually six inches, and how much signal do you lose compared to the longer antennas?

There are the options for mounting- can you elaborate on those? Have no idea what a bewit is.

What is the lead time?

Thanks

Louis, I am looking at your site and have a couple other questions. Looking at the XLF 6v.

First, the antenna options. Is the loaded antenna actually six inches, and how much signal do you lose compared to the longer antennas?

There are the options for mounting- can you elaborate on those? Have no idea what a bewit is.

What is the lead time?

Thanks

Its a half length antenna, typically about 6.5 inches down from the 1/4 wavelength 13 inches at 216MHz, by the time you add the base load it is a bit closer to 7 inches. You may lose about 3dB when using a loaded antenna on the XLF series transmitters but, for most, this is more than adequate power. The LF-4 and Razor transmitters are tuned specifically for the loaded antennas and will get more gain than with a 1/4 wavelength antenna.

Mounting options are mostly geared towards use in falconry, The wire clip is a scissoring wire with hooks on the end that can be inserted into a tube that is attached to a birds tail feather. The bewit is a leather anklet that can be snapped around a birds leg. That said, you would be best off with a bewit cap on an XLF as it provides a slot through which you could slide and tie off a string, cable tie or wire to perhaps a parachute cord or whatever you deem best in your application. As long as the antenna is allowed to pull out as straight as possible on deployment, you will get the best signal. Also all transmitters have this bewit slot standard except the Razor (tailmount only, unless custom request) and the XLF's (just have to specify bewit cap).

We are about to see hunting season start and things pick up this time of year, also I don't think we have any stock XLF's currently. We are running about a week, 10 business days would be the Maximum.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions at all.

-Louis

I just want to add that Louis and his folks provide great service and great products. Virtually all of the kloudbusters regulars use L.L. gear for RDF tracking. Since the release of the 400 channel receiver we can all really spread out and everyone to a man well tell you their L.L. gear has paid for itself many times over.

I like the short antenna because I feel it is less likely to tangle with recovery gear. I always ask for the flat cap and that's all (no bewit clip). I always just tape my XLF to the recovery harness with electrical tape.

--Lance.

Last edited:
I just ordered a new transmitter for use with my Walston receiver. My remaining Walston transmitter cracked so it was time. I exchanged several emails with Lauren in their office, and she made the order very easy and pleasant.

I just ordered a new transmitter for use with my Walston receiver. My remaining Walston transmitter cracked so it was time. I exchanged several emails with Lauren in their office, and she made the order very easy and pleasant.

I ordered from them a little over a year ago for an extra transmitter for my Communication Specialties tracker. Easy and painless. Just told them what frequency I needed and they made it. I like theirs because they are smaller in diameter allowing to fit in most any rocket.

Back