More delays in the BATFE case...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mean to come across as bitter - I've contributed more than once to the legal fund and I'm patiently waiting for an outcome to the litigation. I'm just not at all surprised to learn that extensions, delays, and legal maneuvering continue to be a part of the process, even as we approach what we all hope is the 11th hour.

Originally posted by Balsa Bob
I don't mean to come across as bitter - I've contributed more than once to the legal fund and I'm patiently waiting for an outcome to the litigation. I'm just not at all surprised to learn that extensions, delays, and legal maneuvering continue to be a part of the process, even as we approach what we all hope is the 11th hour.

I was just noting that its been 7 years I believe ;) I have been in the hobby 3 1/2 years and I AM SICK OF IT! let alone you senior hobbyists ;) (no offense :p )

thanx, Ben

Originally posted by ben
let alone you senior hobbyists ;) (no offense :p )
thanx, Ben

None taken, you young whippersnapper.
Yikes... did I just show my age or what using that word...?!

lol :p ;) psssstt (whisper) you have your Bday in your profile ;) (j/k)

thanx, Ben

I admire your optimism Bob. As this drags on and on, and the ATF's lawyers line their pockets with more of our (taxpayers) money while we keep exhausting our resources, all we can do is hope for the best. If common sense would have prevailed, this case would have been dealt with in arbitration,and never would have went to court in the first place. It is hard not to be bitter about the whole thing- my faith in the legal system as well as the government is at an all time low. I hope that will change come July.

I wish I could use an excuse like that when I send something TO the government, like my taxes.

Me: "Sorry, I didn't meet the April 15th filing deadline because it was snowy and my tax preparer got sick. Can I file them 2 weeks late?"
Govt: "Sure, just be sure to include a check for the hefty late-filing fee along with it."

WW

So why did it go unopposed???

Our legal team should have been all over them. This is ridiculous.

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
So why did it go unopposed???

Jason

Because we have to maintain the moral high ground, and part of that is showing that we are doing everything we can to work with the BATFE and not be mean and nasty and dirty and all the things that they give the impression of being.

WW

Originally posted by jetra2

There's nothing strategic or sinister about this delay.

There are Rules of Civil Procedure in the courts, and they were properly applied in this particular case.

We're not spending any more $$ on the case due to the delay.

Relax a bit, folks.

When there's real news on the legal front, Ken Good and I will provide it.

If you want to do something productive, donate to the Legal Fund:

https://tinyurl.com/yszmhz

Thanks Bunny. I coulda swore I smelled something "strategic or sinister" here, but I guess my personal radar needs a bit of fine tuning. Sorry to make it seem like I'm wound tighter than a rubber band airplane.

Keep up the great work.

Jason

So do old rocketeers - just become uncertified?

Al

Originally posted by als57
So do old rocketeers - just become uncertified?

Al

Nope.

Old rocketeers never die...

...they just smell that way...

=========================

...they just have weaker ejections....

(my bad) LOL

=====================

...they lawn dart...

Originally posted by jflis
Nope.

...they just smell that way...

=========================

...they just have weaker ejections....

(my bad) LOL

=====================

...they lawn dart...

Old Rocketeers Never Die....

They Just Become Unstable.....

Originally posted by tquigg
Old Rocketeers Never Die....

They Just Become Unstable.....
Was it on a shirt I saw somewhere?...

"Old rocketeers never die, they just go OOP."

On the bright side, it's not another nearly a year long one.;)

Like they say, good things come to those that wait, hopefully that will hold true in this case.

Originally posted by TWRackers
Was it on a shirt I saw somewhere?...

"Old rocketeers never die, they just go OOP."

someone's sig on TRF. If only I could remember who :p

thanx, Ben

Well, I can't say I'm surprised... unfortunately.

Before I even read the article, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there is nothing "sinister" behind this request, but I have to agree in part with another reply is wondering what sort of response the average citizen would get if involved in a legal proceeding and having asked for so many "delays" and "extensions" and any other word you can come up with for what is simply a STALL.

Sometimes, I think the rocket community would be in a better situation if they were being tried for murder. You get far less time and far fewer chances to produce evidence in a case like that.

So how many have dropped out of HPR ?
I did not renew My Tripoli membership, Why bother? I do not need it to fly G motors. Frankly have not launched in over 3/4 of a year. Gets boring if You cannot advance.
I was just dropping in to see if there was news on the ATF front.

Slack

Originally posted by TWRackers "Old rocketeers never die, they just go OOP." [/B]

In the not too distant future I would imagine that many of the more popular ones will be cloned.

Originally posted by slackdaddy
So how many have dropped out of HPR ?

Slack

Haven't flown HP in well over a year. A couple of big rockets, an altimeter and a timer are just collecting dust. It's a shame, to put it politely.

Out of curiosity, why aren't people just getting LEUPs? I guess you need an on-site vendor who will be your contingent storage, or a die-hard buddy with a magazine. I haven't done it yet because I don't have the cash-flow for a LEUP right now, but I also don't have the cash-flow for high power motors either, so I'm enjoying some low power stuff with my kids, and looking forward to some mid-power fun this weekend (if our 38/120 casing gets here in time).

A decade ago I had an LEUP, back when the ATF first started getting into the business of regulating hobby rocketry. It was just part of the hobby, like getting a certification.

Granted, you didn't have to have storage then, if you were going to purchase your reloads and fly them on-site, but we did find a friend with a magazine to store our big motors (like our "H" silver streak and the K125 (and I really wish I knew what happened to that K!)).

It's one more hurdle to jump through, yeah, but it's not one that would prevent me from enjoying the hobby once I've got the money to participate anyways.

Just wondering, not judging.

-Rick

I was going to go the contingent storage route to start. Then comes the news that our main on site vendor is only going to carry up thru G motors due to ATF harasment. There went that idea.

So until I can work out some other storage arrangement ; thats on hold.

Al

I know that I can't get my own LEUP for another year. That sucks. But right now I'm having 'fun' challenging myself to fly the biggest rockets I can on the smallest motors possible and still being able to fly them locally! Right now I'm working on an Aerotech HV Arcas kit that I'm trying to keep light and be able to fly locally on F motors...which are a lot of fun from 30-ish feet away!

Another thing that I'm working on is a dual deploy 2.2" x 40" rocket that could fly on F's and G's and help me learn dual deploy.

I challenge you all to do the same thing if you're not already. It keeps you flying APCP while getting a new challenge.

Jason

Back