future NARCON locations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foose4string

Reaction score
I know this year's NARCON being held in Minnesota this year...pretty darn good chance I won't go due to the location. Anyone have a list of NARCON locations for the coming years? How are sites chosen? How far in advance are the sites chosen? ...just wondering

-Craig Z.

Originally posted by foose4string
I know this year's NARCON being held in Minnesota this year...pretty darn good chance I won't go due to the location. Anyone have a list of NARCON locations for the coming years? How are sites chosen? How far in advance are the sites chosen? ...just wondering
The NAR usually likes keeping NARCON at the same location for a couple years, if the hosting club agrees to that. That is why WOOSH held it three years in a row. I was surprised that this years NARCON is in MN which is still in the midwest. They (NAR) also usually like to move it around the country every few years to accomodate those that can't travel very far. I can only guess that the club hosting NARCON2007 was the only club to put a proposal in for it. That's how clubs/locations are chosen. The prospective hosting club puts together a proposal for the NAR asking to be able to host the event.

Yep, if agreeable I beleive they like to keep it in one location 2-3 years. I beleive one of the reasons is to help *teach* the club how to run a convention by *doing*. The hope being that after a few years of running NARCON they (the club) would then continue with a convention of their own after NARCON has moved on.

I am not aware of that actually happening, but I wish it would. There was a time when there were conventions all over the country each year and we (sections) need to revisit that...

Originally posted by jflis
Yep, if agreeable I beleive they like to keep it in one location 2-3 years. I beleive one of the reasons is to help *teach* the club how to run a convention by *doing*. The hope being that after a few years of running NARCON they (the club) would then continue with a convention of their own after NARCON has moved on.

I am not aware of that actually happening, but I wish it would. There was a time when there were conventions all over the country each year and we (sections) need to revisit that...
NIRA still has mini-conventions they call NIRAcon.

My understanding was that there isn't exactly fierce competition among clubs to host NARCON, so the NAR doesn't really have the ability to choose from a number of geographically-separated locations.

Originally posted by Ltvscout
NIRA still has mini-conventions they call NIRAcon.

Excellent! :)

Seriously, I hope we see a time when there are conventions running all over the place again. They have real value to the hobby, the club and the local community too.

jim

Originally posted by sylvie369
My understanding was that there isn't exactly fierce competition among clubs to host NARCON, so the NAR doesn't really have the ability to choose from a number of geographically-separated locations.

Correct.

Some of you out there might be wondering "Maybe our club could host NARCON".

Asking National Events Chairman Trip Barber for a packet of information would be a good place to start to get an idea of what's involved:

[email protected]

If it looks too daunting, no problem.

If you've got question, just ask Trip.

If you think you can do it, you'll have the info you need to put in a bid.

Thanks for the replies. I'm very new to our club(MDRA), not sure if they've hosted NARAM in recent years or not. It is a well managed and well attended club, with some great launch sites. They have started an event known as "Red Glare", that seems to draw a HUGE crowd, plenty of attendees from out of state. Hotel and banquet reservations available, not sure if any seminars are planned, but it looks like a good time. I would love to see us host a NARAM in the future.Red Glare 2

MDRA is an indy club, isn't it? You'd need to be a NAR section to host NARAM, I'd think.

Originally posted by Nerull
MDRA is an indy club, isn't it? You'd need to be a NAR section to host NARAM, I'd think.

Ah, makes sense. I forgot we are not NAR or Tripoli sponsored.

We got the bid for NARCON this year because we worked hard to put together a proposal . That's it, nothing more. It was a lot of work with a core group of people, nothing that anyone else couldn't do.
It's been a great experience so far. The vendors, both attending and supporting have been SUPERB. I can't believe it's coming up next Friday. There's still time if you want to join us. Cmon, It'll be a BLAST(pun intended)
Mark T
Vendor coordinator NARCON 2007

Originally posted by foose4string
Thanks for the replies. I'm very new to our club(MDRA), not sure if they've hosted NARAM in recent years or not. It is a well managed and well attended club, with some great launch sites. They have started an event known as "Red Glare", that seems to draw a HUGE crowd, plenty of attendees from out of state. Hotel and banquet reservations available, not sure if any seminars are planned, but it looks like a good time. I would love to see us host a NARAM in the future.Red Glare 2

In 2008 NARAM 50 will be nearby at Manassas VA . As far as NARCON, I'd love to see one in the northeast, about 5 years ago I tried to get my club to bid for it in central PA, just couldn't get enough support from my own people. Maybe I'll start talking that up again!

Originally posted by bazookadale
In 2008 NARAM 50 will be nearby at Manassas VA . As far as NARCON, I'd love to see one in the northeast, about 5 years ago I tried to get my club to bid for it in central PA, just couldn't get enough support from my own people. Maybe I'll start talking that up again!

Man am I ready for it! Going to get a build team together for my club so we can put us back on the map! :D

thanx, Ben

That's close enough, I'll be going to that one for sure. Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by narprez
Asking National Events Chairman Trip Barber for a packet of information would be a good place to start to get an idea of what's involved:

Is there also a document "How To Run A National Event Without Destroying Your Club"?

Originally posted by overby
Is there also a document "How To Run A National Event Without Destroying Your Club"?

I doubt that, however it would make a great article for Sport Rocketry or LAUNCH...

Mark, would LAUNCH be interested in such an article??

jim

As far as NARCON, I'd love to see one in the northeast, about 5 years ago I tried to get my club to bid for it in central PA, just couldn't get enough support from my own people. Maybe I'll start talking that up again!

Please, please do! I'm just on the border of the NY/PA line, and hate traveling, so if a NARCON was only half a state away I could actually go and see and fly with some of the greats! :) I'm sure that ERG (my club in Lander PA) would lend as much support as a small club can!

Back