No Ematch system!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oliver, I see you are doing well in here with all this info. I like your no match rig and remote glow plugs makes it more appealing to me also. If it had the options of just having the leads for the glow or a place marked for connecting them would be fine for me as I want to make my own glow plug holder (s). I had questions about your no match set up that have been answered in here and then some :D Good to see you working on it, now I really want one or two!

m85476585, I think I saw your latch time board or circuit maybe if it is the one I found on the internet but couldn't find it again. It was the first thing I thought of to fix the latch time for different altimeters.

I'm working on making it into a kit. I'm not sure when it will be available. I'm working on the PCB design right now. I did post a schematic somewhere, but it doesn't really work (It did until I tried to test it with actual igniters).

It will probably work with glowplugs without any modifications, but I want to get it working with igniters/e-matches/hot coils first.

Originally posted by m85476585
I'm working on making it into a kit. I'm not sure when it will be available. I'm working on the PCB design right now. I did post a schematic somewhere, but it doesn't really work (It did until I tried to test it with actual igniters).
Where did you post the schematic?

https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=355945

It doesn't actually work because a big load ends up draining the timing capacitor (no matter how large). It is probably enough power for the No Match system. It is designed for the MAWD only.

Here is a thread on the current design:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34117
The new one is optoisolated, so it should work with almost any altimeter, and it can use dual batteries, which is necessary for any big loads (you can run the altimeter off a stack of coin cells and use a 9V to fire the charges).

The MAWD is what I have and I think the latch time is only 50ms. A second or a second and a half would be good.

Originally posted by m85476585
https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=355945

It doesn't actually work because a big load ends up draining the timing capacitor (no matter how large). It is probably enough power for the No Match system. It is designed for the MAWD only.

Tossing a diode in would probably work too, but optocouplers are really nice. I recently came across a nice quad optocoupler package for a dollar each, so I'm going to fool around with a similar device.

By any chance are those terminal blocks from the 555 series from on shore technologies? Same ones I use (I'm going with the 3.5mm pitch)

**Bump**

So I spent the better part of my lunch hour reading this thread, and finished it at home...:mad:

It seems that once my alt (Mawd) comes back from repair, I will not be able to use the NoMatch system...

Is there any progress on the front to get Perfectflite to change the software to fire for a full second, so I can use this system?

It is really not in the budget to get another brand altimeter to satisfy the requirements for the NoMatch...and then purchase two units to fit dual deploy grrrrrrrrr!

Time will tell

Johnnie

Originally posted by Johnnie

Is there any progress on the front to get Perfectflite to change the software to fire for a full second, so I can use this system?

Johnnie
I wrote to PerfectFlite about 2 weeks ago and they are unwilling to change the software to fire for longer than the 50ms. I assume they are worried about dropping the voltage too much and turning off their electronics if one would try to fire an e-match with a high current drain.

Oliver - would you have a list of all of the altimeters that will work with your system?

I do not expect that you would have tested every known altimeter on the market, but I figure that maybe with the given specs of each altimeter, that a list might have been compiled based on outputs...?

Johnnie

Originally posted by Johnnie
Oliver - would you have a list of all of the altimeters that will work with your system?

I do not expect that you would have tested every known altimeter on the market, but I figure that maybe with the given specs of each altimeter, that a list might have been compiled based on outputs...?

Johnnie
Unfortunately I don't have such a list. I would expect that most standard altimeters will turn on the pyro outputs for at least 1/2 second (if for nothing else but being able to test the altimeter with something else besides an e-match). Unless the altimeter specifically states that it is to be used with low current e-matches they should be fine with NoMatch. Also, the type of battery they use is usually a sign how long they turn on the outputs. I do hope to get feedback from my existing customers which altimeters they have used NoMatch with. That information I will post on my website.

Originally posted by oliver1111
Unfortunately I don't have such a list. I would expect that most standard altimeters will turn on the pyro outputs for at least 1/2 second (if for nothing else but being able to test the altimeter with something else besides an e-match). Unless the altimeter specifically states that it is to be used with low current e-matches they should be fine with NoMatch. Also, the type of battery they use is usually a sign how long they turn on the outputs. I do hope to get feedback from my existing customers which altimeters they have used NoMatch with. That information I will post on my website.

I have other options offered to me if I can't come up with another altimeter to satisfy the needs for the NoMatch, until then I will keep looking.

Still though, I really like the product, good work. And I must also give kudos for excellent customer service, as evidenced by this thread...

Johnnie

Originally posted by oliver1111
I wrote to PerfectFlite about 2 weeks ago and they are unwilling to change the software to fire for longer than the 50ms. I assume they are worried about dropping the voltage too much and turning off their electronics if one would try to fire an e-match with a high current drain.
Did you ask them to change the standard firmware, or did you ask if they would just reprogram the devices on special request? It's not surprising they refuse to change the program standard, but I doubt they would refuse to do on request. I doubt it would be very hard to do.

Originally posted by mtwieg
Did you ask them to change the standard firmware, or did you ask if they would just reprogram the devices on special request? It's not surprising they refuse to change the program standard, but I doubt they would refuse to do on request. I doubt it would be very hard to do.

Very interesting, mine is going in for repair, I will ask if they can change it on mine.

Johnnie

Small update on my request to have the firing circuit times to fire for one second, here is the official response I received from perfect flight:

Email from Perfectflite tech support "This can't be done for the MAWD, since it would affect the ability of
the altimeter to survive momentary power losses and could allow
damage to occur to the firing FET."

Their recomendation to me was to purchase an HA45 altimeter, and I will start this process this week.

Johnnie

That's a shame, but it's understandable. Not much they can do about a hardware limitation.

Did you tell them what the application is? Obviously browning out or killing the FET won't happen if you use it with the nomatch since it only draws a few milliamps (correct?). In any other case, it might be trouble.

That's a shame, but it's understandable. Not much they can do about a hardware limitation.

Did you tell them what the application is? Obviously browning out or killing the FET won't happen if you use it with the nomatch since it only draws a few milliamps (correct?). In any other case, it might be trouble.

When I originally authored my email to them, I stated that I wished to use the Mawd with the No Match system. Part of their response contained brief instructions on how to use the HA45 with common glow plugs, for legal ejection devices.

Johnnie

Back