Need info on "I" flights for school project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippie_Mom

Reaction score
Hi my name is Ember Shapiro. I am AZRon's other half. I am finally a college student again and am enrolled in a statistics class. I am in need of information about successful "I" flights out there. I am attending ARG this weekend and Springfest in March. At these launches, I plan to collect altitude data on all "I" motor flights. My goal is to represent the altitude range for "I" motors, explain how the size and weight of the rocket affect altitude results, and include failure explanations for why data may be skewed. I really like the people in this hobby and am even getting interested in flying myself. I figure by collecting this information, it will help my class and increase my understanding so that I can go for my L1 cert. in the future. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
Ember
:)

Originally posted by Hippie_Mom
My goal is to represent the altitude range for "I" motors, explain how the size and weight of the rocket affect altitude results, and include failure explanations for why data may be skewed.
Don't forget temperature & humidity! Drag varies with air density.

And WELCOME to the forum!

There are also other variables which should be considered:

1) rocket "shape": airframe diameter, rocket length, fin shape & number

2) Wind conditions can dramatically affect altitude, especially on rockets that may have a tendency to weather cock

3) "I" motors (or any motor class for that matter) span a range of impulses. That has to be taken into account. You can't truly compare a I161 to an I284; the I161 is just a bit over the minimum impulse to classify it as an "I" motor, whereas the I284 is very close to the impulse of a small "J" motor. That's nearly a 2-fold difference in impulse.

4) Propellent types: White lightening, Blue Thunder, Redline and so on. Each have different performance characteristics which affect altitude. Along these lines...manufacturer also should be classified: Aerotech, Animal, Loki, CTI

Thanks for the warm welcome! I understand that there are many factors that affect the altitude, nose cone and fins, too. Fortunately, for this project, I don't need to worry about all of that extra stuff. Most people in my class have no idea what all is involved and if I get too complicated, I will lose the whole class! Thank you for pointing that out, though. I don't always think of all of the outside variables. The summers here in AZ are the only time we have major issues with temp. and humidity (too hot to go fetch 'em, so we don't fly 'em too often). I am glad you brought them up though because they are not factors I normally consider. Gotta learn all I can! Thanks for your input!

Ember

Originally posted by brianc
Don't forget temperature & humidity! Drag varies with air density.

And WELCOME to the forum!

Thanks for your post. For my simple project, I don't need to be concerned with all of the details. I do understand that every class has a range of impulses. I'm not really clear on how all of that is plotted, but I do know that the bigger the number the higher the thrust. Ron and I sit up for hours as I try to learn as much as I can. Unfortunately, I only have a few minutes for my class presentation and it just isn't possible to teach the class even what I understand about rockets in that short amount of time. I am happy to get all of this feedback, as it helps me in my general understanding, so that I will be a better rocketeer in the not so distant future.

Thank you,
Ember

Originally posted by MarkM
There are also other variables which should be considered:

1) rocket "shape": airframe diameter, rocket length, fin shape & number

2) Wind conditions can dramatically affect altitude, especially on rockets that may have a tendency to weather cock

3) "I" motors (or any motor class for that matter) span a range of impulses. That has to be taken into account. You can't truly compare a I161 to an I284; the I161 is just a bit over the minimum impulse to classify it as an "I" motor, whereas the I284 is very close to the impulse of a small "J" motor. That's nearly a 2-fold difference in impulse.

4) Propellent types: White lightening, Blue Thunder, Redline and so on. Each have different performance characteristics which affect altitude. Along these lines...manufacturer also should be classified: Aerotech, Animal, Loki, CTI

Cool project! You've definitely come to the right place for info. Good luck!

Welcome to TRF Ember - and dont worry we will have ou ready for L1 in no time!

Thanks. I am sure glad I was directed to this site! There are only so many hours in a day, so I decided to pick a project related to rockets since most of our weekends seem to center around them, especially lately! Great Hobby!

Originally posted by Loopy
Cool project! You've definitely come to the right place for info. Good luck!

Thanks! I really appreciate all of the support I have gotten...and so quickly! I am convinced that rocket people are the best!
Ember

Originally posted by rdbones
Welcome to TRF Ember - and dont worry we will have ou ready for L1 in no time!

Back