Anyone Working on Micro Scale Models?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In Fred22's Estes Atlas build, we started talking about Micro-Maxx powered Scale models.
It got me wondering if anyone out there is currently building any Micro Based Scale subjects. I Generally post these builds in the Scratch section but maybe folks here in the low power section don't visit there much?
Just to start the ball rolling heres a completed micro ARCUS based on .448" (10.5mm) Tubing.

No collection of early sounding rockets would be worth its weight in Balsa without a Nike Smoke.
When starting this series I couldn't decide which "Scale" would be the best size for both flying and detailing so a did a series of them from minimum diameter .281" (T2+) to .544" (BT-5) .
As it turned out the T3 (.375"dia) model was the best balance between detailing and flight performance. However with even smaller parts in the wings on some of the Nike boosted models most of the remaining series was done on the T4 (.448") Nike size. You'll understand why this was necessary as these models are added.
While the scratch built Scale Nike launcher for the 13mm model was modeled on measurments taken from the rig located at Wallops Island Visitor Center, several "freedoms" were taking to add details seen in photos of the first Nike Smoke (long nose) launched there.
One of the "little Details" i'm most please with is the pair of Wooden Handscrews clamped to the Launcher beam. These Scale 16" handscrews are removable and hold on by pressure much like the full size tool:)
Another not so obvious detail on this launcher are the outriggers. both are fully hinged and adjust up and down on removable "locking Pins" with a removable spar pin stored in the top of each pipe cap as on the full size rigs. The launch beam angle and hydraulic cylinder also move manually.

Originally posted by Micromeister
No collection of early sounding rockets would be worth its weight in Balsa without a Nike Smoke.
When starting this series I couldn't decide which "Scale" would be the best size for both flying and detailing so a did a series of them from minimum diameter .281" (T2+) to .544" (BT-5) .
As it turned out the T3 (.375"dia) model was the best balance between detailing and flight performance. However with even smaller parts in the wings on some of the Nike boosted models most of the remaining series was done on the T4 (.448") Nike size. You'll understand why this was necessary as these models are added.
While the scratch built Scale Nike launcher for the 13mm model was modeled on measurments taken from the rig located at Wallops Island Visitor Center, several "freedoms" were taking to add details seen in photos of the first Nike Smoke (long nose) launched there.
One of the "little Details" i'm most please with is the pair of Wooden Handscrews clamped to the Launcher beam. These Scale 16" handscrews are removable and hold on by pressure much like the full size tool:)
Another not so obvious detail on this launcher are the outriggers. both are fully hinged and adjust up and down on removable "locking Pins" with a removable spar pin stored in the top of each pipe cap as on the full size rigs. The launch beam angle and hydraulic cylinder also move manually.

those are too cool! i have always been a fan of the Nike series. Nike Ajax, Nike hercules, Nike Smoke, and Nike Ajax to name a few ;) I would like to have a model of each of them :)

thanx, Ben

Micro v-2 maybe?? A whole micro line of doze would be cool!

Ben:
I've been concentrating on the Mico Sounding rocket nike boosted line. the Ajax, Hercules , Nike-X (sentinal) are also in the Que but haven't gotten beyond the Drawing stage. I know Carl did a clustered Nike Herc. a while back.
I've been doing things like the Nike-Asp, Nike-tomahawk, and Nike Apache.

Bigander:
Sure: currently I only have a V2 no2 white sands version. but I have a micro building buddy who has nearly all the V2's from rockets of the world:)

Here's the Nike-Asp
I've found make the fins for these models works best with thin cardstock on this model each of the 4 nike fins are 4 pieces consisting of two skins and 2 ribs. yellow glued together then to the body. with this method I can get the double tapered and thining body to tip of the real vehicle. And allow the tip to remain open as on the full size vehicles.

If you don't like to scratch build, Fliskits has a nice Honest John MMX kit. I have one I started. It's round here somewhere...

Nike-Tomahawk in the same 1:36.7374 scale (.448"/10.5mm) Nike body.

This is another model I'm working on a scale Launcher for as well, still a lot of work to do on it but should be pretty neat when finished.

mm 211a1-sm_nike-tomahawk 36.7374 _05-13-99.jpg

It got me wondering if anyone out there is currently building any Micro Based Scale subjects.
Well, I already posted about my MicroMaxx hybrid (eAc Hyperion)-
https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31245

And at the '07 WinterNats, I won a MMX WAC Corporal (donated by ASP). But I have
not started on that one yet.

Got a bunch of other =scale= subjects bouncing around my head, but nothing
on the bench or completed...

Very nice work on the Hyperion Brian:
Until seeing your earlier post I hadn't heard a word about the project which is a shame as it's some very interesting hybrid science:)
I've been after Doug Pratt to attempt to do something Hybrid for our size models Tee he he.. He says I'm looney but If he can get one to fit a BT-50... I'm sure a BT-5 model can't be that far behind:) Valve work is gonna be the killer:)

Back to your Hyperion model, Can you give the overall stats for the model Length, Dia and either lift off or emipty weight?

I've got an ASP Wac-Corporal hanging on the wall as well. with all the scratch stuff to do I just haven't had the desire to open the kits.

One of my favorite Scale subjects is the Boeing Bomarc, especially the early black and white experimental vehicles. Here's a pic of the minium dia. T2+ version of test vehicle #14 124.55 scale all 7.2grams. This is one of the models I really prefer to fly on the old style MM-I motors with it's slightly longer delay.

Wow micro, you have a ton of great rockets :) great work! btw, i love the Bomarc :p

Originally posted by Rocketboy89
Wow micro, you have a ton of great rockets :) great work! btw, i love the Bomarc :p

Thanks very kindly for the kudos.
I'm hoping this thread will rekindle an interest in micro scaling...well shoot any Scale modeling:)

Speaking of Scale modeling: Rosko Racer ask me to mention a new book becoming available shortly (Feb 2007) thru Overstock.com
The book it titled: Scale Spacecraft Modelling. Sku #10468892
Sorry I didn't copy the direct link:( The book sells for about 19.00 bucks, and looks like it might be an interesting referrence source and help with some of the detailing questions that come up so often here on TRF. I pre-ordered my copy yesterday.:)

Back to the Micro Models. one that caught my eye before estes decided to release there kit was SpaceShipOne. Micronizing this rocket was really a good challenge. As it turned out this little bugger Really books on Micro-Maxx II motors. It's streamer recovery and you guessed it requied a TON of lead shot nose weight to fly straight. But man does it take off like a bullet!

I'm working on an ASP Sandhawk, and yes, I'm still working on that micro Der Red Max (I'd mind as well call it the Micro Max). I just need some thin CA for the Sandhawk and some centering rings for the Micro Max.

Back to your Hyperion model, Can you give the overall stats for the model Length, Dia and either lift off or emipty weight?

I pulled the numbers from Scale Bash. I've since discovered the Hyperion is also
covered in the 2002 RoTW Suppliment.[*]

The real rocket is just over 225 inches long, 6 inch dia. I scaled it to BT-4, so the
model is about 16.25 inches long. The solid dowel NC really brings the weight up. I need
to hollow it out some. Dry weight is currently in the neighborhood of 10 grams.

* I'm in the process of planning a 2:3 scale HPR version (hybrid powered of course).

Wow! 16.25" long and .448" dia. that's a Big Micro bird but 10grams isn't that bad really, I try to say in the 7 to 12gram range for most of my scale Micro's. that seems to give them decent flights and slow liftoffs:).

Let's see what prototype next?
AMRAAM-120a, This was a simple and fun Scale model, Having Andrews AFB within a 15minute drive and a few friend in stationed at the base made getting real hands on data fairly easy. This micro model is 1:18.666 scale. Note the lack of many
"instructional decals" as seen on the estes kit, They are not nearly as many on operational rounds. Actually pretty plain with a aft motor reduction (mini boattail) not easily seen.

Another interesting Scale model was the Bull-Pup. This one 1:26.9149 scale more closely resembles Bull-Pup 12b. The model is another 10.5mm (T4 -.448") dia model.
With some research you'll find how non-scale Estes rendition really is.
One of the not so noticeable details is the Tail Cone is not a cone at all, rather two intersectiing arcs that house 2 motor nozzles. At this scale modeling two nozzles was out, but I did manage to get the oblong double arc sanded into the tail cone which by the way is actually a good bit smaller then the main airframe.
Each of the rear fins has a folded angular tip crease of about 5° which help spin the rocket and the model in flight.
Most noticeable the forward steering fins are placed up on the nose where they belong, which reqiured a good bit more nose weight to get the model back to a safe and stable flight;)
This on is another that really Zipps off the pad on MM-II motors. Recovers on a 3/4" x 12" orange tifflon streamer.

Heres another high flying Scale model:
the ASP The 1: 23.1316 model in Minimum .281" (T2+) dia. gets some impressive altitude on MM-II motors. Recovers on a 1/2" white Plumbers teflon pipe tape streamer.

BrianC mentioned He's working on a ASP kit of the Sandhawk. on of 5 or 6 excellant kit's still on the market.

Another is the JayHawk. another of those Asp kits. With a little on-line research for scake detail, colors and such and a bit of work on the kit, this one can be made into a pretty decent minimum diameter scale models.
Heres my attempt at making it look like an AQM-37a JayHawk.

Here's a micro Scale I worked on for a long time getting it to fly right then screwed the pooch doing the detailing:(
Not sure if the tiny trianglar fins in the picture are visible, but they are actually folded 3 dimentional tapered cardstock. matching the full size fins... One of the best things worked out on this tiny .281" minimum diameter model.
This micro Scout-B at 1:142.43 scale is however missing a couple very prominent details that were cut to size but were overlooked after flight testing and just plain forgotten until discovered after everything had been painted, detailed and decaled.... Doh!
Most folks, other then sandman might just overlook the blunders, but I've only flown it twice since completion because of the knuckleheaded oversight:(
Sometimes it's the little things that haunt you:D

BrianC mentioned He's working on a ASP kit of the Sandhawk.
It's a WAC Corporal, but who's keeping track? ;)

Dang it, John! I keep coming back to this thread and pawing thru my copies of
RoTW and Scale Bash. Now thanks to you, I'm just itchin' to get another MMX
build on the queue...

This morning, I think I've found it! (in the 2004 RoTW supplement)
A Soyuz-Fregat. The drawing in the booklet at 1:250 scale
is a perfect 1:1 blueprint to make a paper MicroMaxx model about 6.75 inches
tall.

Some info and pics-
https://www.orbireport.com/Launchers/Soyuz_U-Fregat/

Has anyone attempted a Soyuz (of any type) in MMX or peanut scale?
(I won't be surprised if John pulls out pictures of a whole fleet) :)

I might just have to slap together a quick prototype this weekend.

Originally posted by brianc
It's a WAC Corporal, but who's keeping track? ;)

Dang it, John! I keep coming back to this thread and pawing thru my copies of
RoTW and Scale Bash. Now thanks to you, I'm just itchin' to get another MMX
build on the queue...

This morning, I think I've found it! (in the 2004 RoTW supplement)
A Soyuz-Fregat. The drawing in the booklet at 1:250 scale
is a perfect 1:1 blueprint to make a paper MicroMaxx model about 6.75 inches
tall.

Some info and pics-
https://www.orbireport.com/Launchers/Soyuz_U-Fregat/

Has anyone attempted a Soyuz (of any type) in MMX or peanut scale?
(I won't be surprised if John pulls out pictures of a whole fleet) :)

I might just have to slap together a quick prototype this weekend.

Brian:
With So many US rockets I've sorta neglected the Soviet side...my bad. I do have a few drawings done for a couple Sams but haven't seriously looked at Vostok or Soyuz in micro scale, you might be the first.
RotW is a great place to start looking for prototypes to micro model. but you'll find lots of additional details and detailing scattered all over the net:) Doing a little digging can really help sometimes finding that color pic or close-up of a needed detail or part;)

I'm actually going backwards to the very beginning of the US Sounding rocket history and space race. Some of the very early X projects have really caught my eye. The X7 ramjet test bed, X10, Navaho XSM-64, and a 4 motor clustered, possibly staged "Project Farside" balloon launched rocket are all in various stages of work.
Sometimes working out detailed attachments and/or separation points can delay a project or get it set aside for a time:)
I've had all the parts turned and pieces cut for the X7 or a couple years but have been unable to decide how or exactly were, I want to spearate the model from it's booster so it's sitting in a baggie waiting for the spirit to move me LOL.

Since it's been a while, I figured rather than dive right into the Soyuz I'd tackle
something a little easier first. Just to limber up these old eyes and fat fingers. ;)

I came across the interesting and challenging Jabiru Mark 2 in the 2002 RoTW
Supplement[1]. The included 1:60 drawing is a perfect 1:1 MicroMaxx blueprint
making the main booster a BT-2.5. Finding the appropriate sized drawings is a
lazy man's way to avoid calculating the scale numbers...

The model is approx. 8.25" long and the dry weight (before paint) is about 2.5 grams.

Surprisingly, there isn't much information or pictures on the Internet of this version
with the hypersonic delta vehicles. I found some shots from the Woomera display[2],
but if anyone has close-up shots let me know!

Since the the booster is made from MMX motor tube, the first challenge was how to
keep the scale nozzle? I installed a FlisKits MMX thrust ring at the aft end of the tube
making the motor load from the front. I cut the BT where the middle black/white
pattern breaks. This will help hide the unscale "line" caused by the seperation. A properly
sized section of coupler holds the motor in place and acts as the traditional forward
thrust ring. This forward loading technique allowed me to fashion a scale nozzle from
cardstock soaked in CA.

The third stage shroud and transition are also made from cardstock. The first and
second stage fins are 1/16" ply airfoiled and sanded thinner closer to scale. The third
stage fins are scraps of basswood. (Fins? You call those fins?!? I've got chunks of
sawdust bigger than that!)

The third stage BT is a piece of styrene and extends into the second stage with a
coupler. This is the recovery system separation point for the model.

The other major construction challenge was how to make the hypersonic test subjects
attached to the nose? I sanded a dowel to make the NC, then sanded a couple of
toothpicks to the appropriate size. I drilled and attached oversized delta shaped
balsa scraps which were then sanded to scale with an emoryboard. Afterwards, I
coated the whole nose with CA to help strengthen it a bit.

While making the nose assembly, I kept thinging to myself, "If you have ever sanded
a toothpick to get just the right sized component.... You might be a scale rocketry junkie!" :)

Unfortunately my camera is still out for service, so I don't have pics. I need to paint
yet anyway. I'll see if I can get my daughter to use her new cell-phone camera or
jadebox to click a few at next Saturday's launch.

[1] The 2002 Supplement mis-identifies the rocket as "Jaribu".

[2] https://www.nachohat.org/gallery/rockets_woomera/rocket5
https://www.brettdavis.com.au/book/woomera.jpg

Originally posted by brianc
I'll see if I can get my daughter to use her new cell-phone camera
And here's the not-so-great photo.

Great looking model Brian:
Good looking build!
Now comes the fun part, getting it finished and painted:)
Very interesting subject, I Hope you can get a couple better pics before and after it's painted.
You'll find many of the drawing in ROTW are just about perfect for micro fabrication. particularly in the T3 (.375") and T4 (.448") base body diameters. Some ya might have to tweet on a copier up or down a few percent.

Latest posts

Back