Altimeter mounting options

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle_vanya

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas for how to make it easy to move altimeters from one rocket to another. My Ebay's are diffent sizes (4 inch GLR and 3 inch LOC) and have different lengths and space available. The 3inch ebay is too small to mount my RRC2x on one side of the board - I need to put the battery on one side and the altimeter on the other.

My Olsen is just too thick for the 3 inch bay using standard mount option.

The idea is to be able to move the RRC2x back and forth to the 4inch bay when I want dual altimeters. I was thinking of a riser board that would carry the Altimeter and mount to from the ebay board in the two bays. I was also thinking that I should get a second battery holder and mount this to the 4 inch bay's board so that I could swap only the altimeter board.

Thoughts?

In my experience, each altimeter mount is unique. I have 4 DD rockets, all with different ebay construction. Some are designed in from the beginning, some are retrofits. Also, my largest is 2.6" diameter, so there is not much room to play around with a "universal" mounting system. So, I end up undoing and moving my lone altimeter from rocket to rocket. Yes, it sucks. I need more altimeters!

I also have 4 DD rockets, a 4", a 3" and two 2.14" rockets. Each sled is different due to the size difference and configuration. I leave all the wires and switches (if used) on the sled and just move the altimeter. Not really a big deal. It just takes me a few minutes to set up another rocket.

On larger sizes, it would be easier to move the "ebay" from rocket to rocket, similar to the altitube (I think that's the name from smokin rockets).

..is a Gwiz I use on 2.6 " dia. and 4" dia. rockets (two of which are 2 stagers).

....and an Adept Alts 25K that I use on a 3" and 5.5" rockets.

On each altimeter, the tray width and mounting method is common to each of the altimeter bays that I have........the bays themselves are not common among the rockets (for obvious reasons)..unless they are the same rocket diameter.

Then it would be interchangable.

I have 3" and 4" D/D rockets. Each has it's own altimeter bay, but a similar system for mounting the altimeter sled. Switches and terminal blocks stay with the ebay. Only the sled with the altimeter and battery moves.

My altimeter, an Adept ALTS25, is mounted to a piece of plywood with two ~ 1/4" cardboard tubes (the ones ignitors are typically packaged in with reloads) mounted to the sides of the plywood. Each altimeter bay then has two lengths of 1/4" all-thread running through it. The all-thread is spaced so the sled tubes slide over the all-thread. The rear ebay bulkhead (the side facing the drogue bay) is epoxied to the ebay. The front ebay bulkhead is removeable to allow acces to ebay. It slides over the all thread and secured by wing nuts.

Very easy to move the altimeter from rocket to rocket this way as the regardless of rocket diameter, the all thread in the ebay is spaced the same. Just slide the altimeter sled down the all thread, connect up the power switch (a simple task with the Alts), pop on the front ebay bulkhead and secure in place with the wing nuts. Quick and simple.

For my e-bay I too some 3/16" square plastic tubing ( the kind you find in a hobby store) and cut a 1/16" slot in one side. Then I cut two pieces the same length as the altimeter board. I glued a scrap piece of plastic onto one end of both pieces to act as a stop for the altimeter. These two pieces were then glued inside the e-bay so that they would serve as rails to slide the altimeter in.

Back