Is Black Rock desert an impact crater?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, great work Ian!!! the icing on the cake so to speak would be to get some dates on the graduated melt/no melt rocks, and the shatter cones. leave that to the professionals. hopefully the feature will be named after Ian.

That's incredibly interesting.... wow, next time I go to Black Rock I'll be in even greater awe of the place having read that!

Very cool indeed.... thanks so much for sharing!

Ben

That's some nice work you've done, especially since you weren't even looking for geological features when you were there originally. I live near fairly near the Erin, TN impact area. Some of the same features can be found there. It's hard to believe the mine geologists that mapped the faults at Black Rock didn't recognize it as a potential impact area and study it further.

Here's the local one on the edge of the Cumberland River.

wellscreek2.jpg

Is the Black Rock desert an impact crater? Yes, every Launch! :D :) ;) Sorry, I just could not resist. (so shoot me! :kill: )

On the east side of the lake bed there is a formation of rock that looks like a back bone of huge creature. 3 paralel layers of what used to be horizontal rock made vertical by some force.

This pretty much confirms my suspicions on how that happened.:)

Latest posts

Back