wadding substitute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a bale at Lowe's for under $6 and it will probably last me a lifetime. As I understand it, it's just chewed up newsprint (not by dogs :p ) with a fire retardant chemical added. Don't know about the environmental impact of the fire retardant, but the paper is certainly biodegradeable.

I usually just grab a few handfuls of the stuff out of the bale and put it in a plastic bag to take to launches.

Some have suggested putting a piece of regular wadding in first. I just shovel in about 2 to 3 body diameters worth of loose dog barf and then push the shock cord and 'chute in to pack it a little. I've never had any problems with burn marks on the 'chute or anything else. I've used it on 4" airframes with no problem. Used it on my L1 cert flight.

There is a plant just down the road from us that converts newspaper into insulation and if I remember correctly they mix in something that is a fire retardent.
Our club bought a bale I don't know how many years ago and we still have most of it.:D

Does anyone use dog barf + nomex shield? I guess I was under the impression that the nomex shields were good enough by themselves.:confused:

Originally posted by dwrunyon
I am VERY disappointed that Estes doesn't seem to think that adding some detail to their instructions and thereby saving MANY future newbies a negative experience and impression is a worthwhile issue. That's just backwards business if you ask me.

There was a time a few years ago when Estes went through the phase that many other manufacturers of do-it-yourself products go through.

That of having almost nothing but drawings, with circles and arrows, as instructions.

{brrrr...} makes me shiver when I think of it...

Originally posted by RoyGreen That of having almost nothing but drawings, with circles and arrows, as instructions.

Oh there was a drawing (NSA Starship instructions being referenced)... it showed 4 wadding balls up near the very top of the tube! The only text was "4 loosely crumpled sheets of wadding"... and that's IT man! Now, calculate the odds of countless newbies across our great land with singed chutes and a negative impression... more than likely never to buy another model rocket again. We're talking "average Wal Mart customer" here... someone who's kid sees it on the shelf and asks to get it... there goes another potential rocketeer!

Dog Barf and Nylon Chutes

Just got back from our second launch day with dog barf and some Top Flight nylon chutes... I am completely sold on both! The dog barf, as has been stated many times, is pretty much an lifetime supply for 7 bucks... works VERY well as far as protecting my chutes go, and being biodegradable is awesome.

The Top Flight Nylon chutes are REALLY working nicely! The nylon seems more resistant to burns, as do the sewn in shroud lines, and the lines haven't tangled at all! Our little plastic Estes parachute ALWAYS tangled and twisted up pretty bad.

Originally posted by Karl Rocket
Okay...so, "dog barf" is the offical rocketry term for this cellulose insulation at your home improvement center?

What is the exact name of the product?

Can I go into my local Home Depot and ask for "the dog barf insulation" and they'll know what I'm talking about?

And, can you use dog barf ONLY in a rocket? Or do you need to combine it with a wad or two?

lol

cracking myself up..... "dog barf" who woulda thunk it....?

K

I bought some and it's called 'Stabilized Cellulose Insulation' It's the kind that they use in mobile homes in the roof/attic. They use a blower to spray it out. I bought mine for about $8...it is supposed to cover 33 or so cubic feet.

If you can't get dog barf, look at where you buy your wadding, especially if you live in Australia!

My local hobby store sells Estes wadding, 75 sheets for $11.50 AUD ($8.95 US).

Discount Rocketry sells 100 sheet packs of Quest wadding at $2.09 US.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by BAR0051
I use party streamers, paper treated with fire retardant. It can be found for $.25 a roll at $.99 stores ect. It comes in various colors and works best in larger tubes (bt60+) as it is thicker than Estes wadding.

that stuff is fire retardant, but not very good, I flew an estes rocket at night (with a strobe, at a club launch) and I used the streamer material, and I watched it smolder all the way down to the ground and was still glowing when it hit the ground.. granted I fly in the middle of the desert where nothing is flammable for miles, but it might cause a problem for people flying in dry grass. So I dont use that stuff anymore. You also cant buy dog barf in the county I am at (stupid Kalifornia) so its harder to find for me. I mostly use nomex, but for estes stuff and disposable rockets I use dog barf.
The starch packing peanuts are also flameproof and they biodegrade about instantly once they hit water. I have used them when I get packages with them, but I dont go out and buy them for that purpose.

Originally posted by Brian Barney
You also cant buy dog barf in the county I am at (stupid Kalifornia) so its harder to find for me.

What county do you live in? To be honest, I've never heard of such a legislation from anyone here in SoCal. Is it possible that it's just not carried at the home warehouse stores you've checked? It took me looking in 5 different Home Depot stores before I found one that carried dog barf. I can't imagine that the local authorities would completely ban the stuff as insulation.

WW

its in orange county, and my house has fiberglass insulation in the attic, while my house in illinois had the blown cellulose stuff. Several others in the ROCchat email list have said that theres some stupid building code that makes it against the rules to use it in attics here. I keep meaning to pick some up when I go out of town, but I dont usually remember to.

Cocoon Brand Cellulose insulation was not carried in So Cal until lowes showed up. And even now, only SOME of the Lowes stores carry it. I know of several that had it (I've gone through 4 or 5 bales so far supplying club members). Try calling your local Lowes or go to the locations at:
605 Fwy and Carson.
91 Fwy and Lemon

There are reports of some Home Depots carrying it, but I have not looked yet. last time I tried was years ago (before Lowes showed up).

Originally posted by Brian Barney
its in orange county, and my house has fiberglass insulation in the attic, while my house in illinois had the blown cellulose stuff. Several others in the ROCchat email list have said that theres some stupid building code that makes it against the rules to use it in attics here. I keep meaning to pick some up when I go out of town, but I dont usually remember to.

Originally posted by ctus
Does anyone use dog barf + nomex shield? I guess I was under the impression that the nomex shields were good enough by themselves.:confused:

Yes. But I'm just overly worried about a burned chute I think.

What about handling it? If i got some, would i need to use gloves and a face mask like the guy on the Cocoon website?

RE: Message above (forgot to quote)

I have never seen anyone suggest that cellulose insulation requires gloves. Fiberglass absolutely requires gloves but not cellulose. In the application of a large amount of the stuff into a house using a blower a mask would seem essential - but stuffing rockets by hand doesn't seem to warrant the mask.

Originally posted by uncle_vanya
RE: Message above (forgot to quote)

I have never seen anyone suggest that cellulose insulation requires gloves. Fiberglass absolutely requires gloves but not cellulose. In the application of a large amount of the stuff into a house using a blower a mask would seem essential - but stuffing rockets by hand doesn't seem to warrant the mask.

While safety regulations may not require the use of mask and protective overgarment, it should be noted that you still don't want to be inhaling this stuff. As has been noted elsewhere, getting a lung-full of this stuff can make you gag, cough, and possibly choke. By itself, it's not inherently dangerous stuff, but you do still need to practice common sense with it.

WW

Those safety instructions, suggestions are ment for the installation crews BLOWING the material into wall and attic closed spaces under air pressure. Creating a huge amount of floating dust and particles.
We are only handling it in very small amounts without most of the inhalation issues.
As WW mentioned you don't want to be sticking your face in it or inhaling a wad of it as you load the models. A little common sense during packing is all thats necessary.
I've never seen or heard of anyone in the Mod-Roc hobby worring about using a face mask or gloves with dog barf. I know I sure don't;)

I just buy my stuff off of red arrow hobbies.

Quick question,
If i had an extended motor mount could i stuff that w/ the dog barf. The mm is probably about 2.3' long.

Back